The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1. The speeds/RPMs you reach in GT5 are far higher than what you'd normally reach when you drive around the city. Unless you accelerate hard after every stop and you don't shift until redline, or you drive at insane speeds on the highway. :smile:

edit: Here's an '09 M3 acceleration video vs an M3 in GT5P. Compare the real M3 to the GT5P video after turn 1 with the volume higher (GT5P video is relatively quieter). Not exact, but pretty close. Not sure when exactly he's shifting, but it sounds like it's near redline.

real
gt5p

What I find lacking about the sound, is it simply isn't loud enough. Relative to the tire screeching etc., the engine sounds a little quiet, but if you turn the volume up, the tire screeching will be too loud (or the music).

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. The speeds/RPMs you reach in GT5 are far higher than what you'd normally reach when you drive around the city. Unless you accelerate hard after every stop and you don't shift until redline, or you drive at insane speeds on the highway. :smile:

edit: Here's an '09 M3 acceleration video vs an M3 in GT5P. Compare the real M3 to the GT5P video after turn 1 with the volume higher (GT5P video is relatively quieter). Not exact, but pretty close. Not sure when exactly he's shifting, but it sounds like it's near redline.

real
gt5p

What I find lacking about the sound, is it simply isn't loud enough. Relative to the tire screeching etc., the engine sounds a little quiet, but if you turn the volume up, the tire screeching will be too loud (or the music).
the main difference i hear is Prologue is lacking the throatyness. and the sound is always the same w/ a constant frequency curve, only varying degrees of loudness. it sounds more like an electric motor than an automobile revving.

the main difference i hear is Prologue is lacking the throatyness. and the sound is always the same w/ a constant frequency curve, only varying degrees of loudness. it sounds more like an electric motor than an automobile revving.
I think I get what you're saying about the throatiness, but the only time I hear this is during low rpm's before he shifts to second gear. And as for the frequency curve, again, the only time I hear a large frequency change in the real M3 video, is at the start -- after first gear, the differences between the two are small IMO. There's no point in the GT5P video where he's in first gear. Also, the driver in the GT5P video isn't really feathering the gas as much as he should -- the resistance on the pedals of some of the cheaper wheels (like the DFGT) is much lighter than it is on a real car, so the revs are generally higher immediately after shifts causing less of a frequency curve... there's less of a gradual acceleration. If you take the M3 in GT5P and lightly press on the gas shifting at regular rpm's, I'm guessing it will sound a lot more like what you would hear driving one in real life.

While that is all great in terms of graphics I hope they use the real car engine audios for these cars because my M3 sure as hell does not sound like the way it does in the Prologue game. Very disappointing that was. This game is going to be an absolute no purchase for me if they dont record real car engine sounds. I want to hear the Enzo or the Zonda or the F430 sound exactly like they do in real life...so far that has not been there even in the Prologue.

I agree. Arwin may have a point though, although last time I played Prologue and wondered about the engine-sounds, it seemed to me, that they simply record the engine noise with little to no exhaust sound. They also don't seem to account for different loudness from different cars - i.e. Ferraris in the game aren't any louder than R8s and other cars. It's a very different experience in real life sadly and it's a bit disappointing that a racing game that is developed by the biggest car nuts in the gaming-industry leave out such an obvious feature.

The difference between hearing the car in cockpit view and outside is also barely different, which to me, enforces the point that the car sounds are more engine sounds (rather exhaust) than anything.

Some of the most beautiful things you'll hear on the road is if a car, like a Ferrari 360CS in front of you downshifts while automatically reving up to match revs.

I agree. Arwin may have a point though, although last time I played Prologue and wondered about the engine-sounds, it seemed to me, that they simply record the engine noise with little to no exhaust sound. They also don't seem to account for different loudness from different cars - i.e. Ferraris in the game aren't any louder than R8s and other cars. It's a very different experience in real life sadly and it's a bit disappointing that a racing game that is developed by the biggest car nuts in the gaming-industry leave out such an obvious feature.

The difference between hearing the car in cockpit view and outside is also barely different, which to me, enforces the point that the car sounds are more engine sounds (rather exhaust) than anything.

Some of the most beautiful things you'll hear on the road is if a car, like a Ferrari 360CS in front of you downshifts while automatically reving up to match revs.

Agreed. I have the dual clutch gearbox so when I am downshifting using the system, my car also does the blip to match the revs and even inside the car the sound is just glorious :) It aint no Ferrari but the sound is fabulous.

I do see what people are saying about in-cockpit sounds and all that but I still maintain the sound produced by the game does not match what i hear inside the car. In day to day driving inside the car from the low revs there is a lot of bassy v8 sounds in the car...until you hit 3k rpm ad then it starts changing to a growl and at 8k rpm and above its a very metallic growl and you can hear the intake roar and all that. That is just not there in GT5.

In FIA GTR you can hear even the transmission whine and each car from the Corvette racer to the Saleen racer sound distinct. I have heard those cars in person at a Le Mans race and the game remains beautifully true to reality. I think that GT5 probably has had a bigger budget than FIA GTR did so it just sounds to my ears...awful.

They should license sound system and car sounds from Shift. Probably amongst the best if not the best sounds and sound system.

I do see what people are saying about in-cockpit sounds and all that but I still maintain the sound produced by the game does not match what i hear inside the car. In day to day driving inside the car from the low revs there is a lot of bassy v8 sounds in the car...until you hit 3k rpm ad then it starts changing to a growl and at 8k rpm and above its a very metallic growl and you can hear the intake roar and all that. That is just not there in GT5.

Do you have the standard exhaust on the car? Even then, the M3 does sound fabulous.

I'm actually hoping that Polyphony would include some after-market exhausts tuning options - nothing fancy that would alter the engine power or anything, but it would at least give some freedom to customize the car a bit, that being mainly the sound. IMO they wouldn't even need to be linked to real-world exhausts and be authentic. Anything would be better than the somewhat boring engine sounds that the game currently offers...

+1. The speeds/RPMs you reach in GT5 are far higher than what you'd normally reach when you drive around the city. Unless you accelerate hard after every stop and you don't shift until redline, or you drive at insane speeds on the highway.

Speeds are irrelevant for engine noise. Speed just adds wind noise. Thus engine noise is pretty much only dependant on RPM. RPM is determined by the speed and gear you are in.

Thus, instead of going at these suggested insane speeds on the highway, all you have to do is change gear to a lower one.

Everytime i overtake somebody, be it on the highway or on some other road,i downshift.

Anyways. When you downshift, your RPM goes up. All i have to do is floor it on the overtake, and i will reach redline. I do this every single time i overtake. The engine sound generated from this, is exactly the same engine noise that my car would generate if i would have been reaching the redline at very high speeds.

Further, you can allways just rev the engine in neutral.

Your statement is in line with the people who said i could never utilize the mercs 550hp on normal roads. (which is super simple, just try overtaking somebody with downshifting and flooring the trottle).

You dont have to accelerate hard at every stop, you just either need an automatic gear box that downshifts when you floor the trottle, or just be willing to downshift whenever the situation calls for more power. (which in the case of overtaking is allways ;))

Now, ofc there is one issue, and that is gearing. Some cars have 1st gears that will redline on dry flat roads at 100+km\h. You usually wont drive that fast in the city. On the highways however, this is a normal speed. Thus you dont have to drive insane even to manage to redline your AMG Merc or Lambo or whatever, you just have to SHIFT GEARS.

Well I know it's possible to get high rpm's without going fast and that the rpm's is the main factor when speaking about engine noise; I was more implying that the driving style in GT5P greatly differs from people's driving style in the city. People usually don't shift at such high rpm's because it doesn't make for great gas mileage, nor is good for the engine if you do so all the time. It is good for speed and acceleration though. :smile:

Well I know it's possible to get high rpm's without going fast and that the rpm's is the main factor when speaking about engine noise; I was more implying that the driving style in GT5P greatly differs from people's driving style in the city. People usually don't shift at such high rpm's because it doesn't make for great gas mileage, nor is good for the engine if you do so all the time. It is good for speed and acceleration though. :smile:

We do if we have cars similar to the ones you drive in GT5P (not counting all the crap cheap cars). ;)

Point is, sound from your own car in real life should be the same as the sound from the same car in GT5P. Obviously, your not going to accelerate full throttle all the time because of safety, but any rational person would know that you have to compare similar situations (same RPM).

Also I dont know what you mean about an R6 (yamha, audi models? :p) but I think the older M3 model had a straight 6 which also sounds awesome btw.

R6 is the german shorthand for straight 6 (Reihen 6 Zylinder)^^

I dunno... I live right next to Porsches Test Track in Weissach, Germany, so I hear squealing tyres and engines every day (others live next to Trains :p). I can't complain about GTs sounds, but... I don't mind it that much either. I am much more interested in how it plays, because that is, why I love Gran Turismo^^

Speeds are irrelevant for engine noise. Speed just adds wind noise. Thus engine noise is pretty much only dependant on RPM. RPM is determined by the speed and gear you are in.

Anyways. When you downshift, your RPM goes up. All i have to do is floor it on the overtake, and i will reach redline. I do this every single time i overtake. The engine sound generated from this, is exactly the same engine noise that my car would generate if i would have been reaching the redline at very high speeds.

Actually, that's not quite true. Any car (some more than others) sounds very different when accelerating under load or not at all. Just as there's a difference when reving the car in neutral, the noise is very different when accelerating unter 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear etc. As the load increases, so does the noise.

@Phil : I got the standard exhaust. I was thinking of grabbing the Eisenmann full system and getting the Dinan ECU flash done as well. There is a Dinan platinum autorized dealer close to where I live and people swear by their work and it does not void BMW warranty. I looked at a few more Dinan products and if I did all the mods, my engine would all in all be rated @ over 450 bhp from the stock 414 but it would be illegal as heck on the roads though lol mainly because of emissions! Kinda impressive considering the M3 GTR that won the ALMS race this year I think make 485 hp! The sound is amazing! I just cant get enough of it.

In GT5 I drove the M3 on the oval a few times doing some speed trials but I cant wait to give it a proper thrashing on some of the other circuits. I cant wait to see in the final game if I can match the Stig's time on the Top Gear test track in game LOL

They really need the Stig as an unlockable driver avatar! Heck, charge five bucks for him on the PSN store and they'd make a killing! :p

Any car (some more than others) sounds very different when accelerating under load or not at all.
And THAT... that is Polyphony's failure with their engine sounds. Yes, all the sounds are "real".. of a car sitting still in a garage being revved up and down. But none of them are taken of the engine under load. And then that's just pitched up and down, especially at the high end of the rpm range. Even putting it on a dyno would be a dramatic improvement.. I think that's what EA does. NFS has been outclassing GT in engine sound for years now.

Hell, I drive a little two-liter four-cylinder, but even that sounds pretty sweet up around the redline.. throaty, harsh, real. But I'm sure the same car in GT is going to sound like a vacuum cleaner. Makes me sad, especially with such awesome-sounding cars available (Ferrari F430 as a prime example). It's gotten so bad over the years that my judge of a "awesome" sounding car in GT is the one that actually sounds the most like a real car driving under real load, even if it's just some nameless sports coupe. There's been a very few in all those games that actually sound good. That's my one and only real gripe about Gran Turismo, which is otherwise far and away my favorite driving game.

anybody knows what HDR GT5 is using? it looks very good..in stills and in the demo....is it fp16? true HDR ...heard many console titles "HDR" are really LDR...

anybody knows what HDR GT5 is using? it looks very good..in stills and in the demo....is it fp16? true HDR ...heard many console titles "HDR" are really LDR...

Well its indeed lacking in few games but when you hear HDR in console game its either RGBA8 or FP10...in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back