The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Features, content and performance is same on all verions. There might be something funky ongoing with the online gaming though?

Tearing can be annoying on 16 car races on the first corner. Other than that frame rate is perfectly fine.

There should be the online/community update coming on fall which could improve the graphics engine also... Some rumours about damage modelling too though I wouldn't count on that.

Any idea if the online races are region locked? or is the online performance good enough that it wouldn't make much of a difference (looking at US copy, live in Australia).

Any idea if the online races are region locked? or is the online performance good enough that it wouldn't make much of a difference (looking at US copy, live in Australia).

The current online modes are really rudimentary. There is a promised(free) update on fall that adds more complete online+community experience. I hope after that patch we can have atleast private servers.

I have no idea if the online matchmaking is region locked now or not(or what will happen with the fall patch). Sometimes races are choppy, sometimes not and it's not possible to choose with whom to play(the matchmaking happens automatically). I mainly drive arcade time trial to learn driving better.

It's not the regions, it's the idiots who play only to ruin other peoples games that makes the online experience sub optimal. There are way too many idiots playing for the online to be fun for me. I would really wish to play only with people who race "correctly" and don't crash on intent. There are measures in the gt5 prologue to try to minize the trouble idiots give but still... I prefer to not play online for now.

And btw. gt5 prologue is one of my favourite ps3 games, the online racing part just sucks for now. There is plenty to do in single player mode and arcade time trials to justify the price of the game.

Edit. and I have japanese original prologue and I live in europe. Most of the online races are smooth.

Does anyone know if the Driving Force GT's shifter is side changeable? I live in AU and all the shifters I use on games are on the left, but in all the pictures the Driving Force GT has the shifter on the right is it possible to change it to the left?.

Also, I forgot something, are all the versions the same? where the other version of the game updated with the new stuff in the newer versions (spec 2?). If they were I will grab this defiantly.
i have the BD version and the only difference i think is that it has some of the videos already on the disc. you can still DL them through PSN if you want. unfortunately unless you live in Japan you can't get the Top Gear episodes through GTTV which sort of sucks. I was hoping for some HD Top Gear.

You still have to DL the latest update. takes about 1/2 hour to get it installed & ready.

Does anyone know if the Driving Force GT's shifter is side changeable? I live in AU and all the shifters I use on games are on the left, but in all the pictures the Driving Force GT has the shifter on the right is it possible to change it to the left?.
unless they make 2 versions the shifter is attached to the base. you'll have to splurge on a G25 to move the shifter to the left.

I don't know if it's standard since it didn't say anything about it on the box. but my Driving Force GT came w/ a copy of GT5:p in the box. If it is, that adds some value to it. So if you do buy it, buy it before you buy GT5:p; you might not have to buy GT5:p.

It's a good wheel. It doesn't feel quite as good/realistic as the 360 wheel does w/ Forza 2; but that might be due to GT5:p more than the wheel. not sure.

I don't know if it's standard since it didn't say anything about it on the box. but my Driving Force GT came w/ a copy of GT5:p in the box. If it is, that adds some value to it. So if you do buy it, buy it before you buy GT5:p; you might not have to buy GT5:p.

It's a good wheel. It doesn't feel quite as good/realistic as the 360 wheel does w/ Forza 2; but that might be due to GT5:p more than the wheel. not sure.

I think I might buy the Porsche Wheel instead. Is the G25 good. Seems a bit cheaper then the Porsche Wheel.

I think I might buy the Porsche Wheel instead. Is the G25 good. Seems a bit cheaper then the Porsche Wheel.
G25 is great; only problem some people seem to have is the shifter being a little fragile. spirited shifts have been known to crimp wires which result in not being able to get in certain gears. it has a 2 year warranty though. & a pretty big support network at racesimcentral since it's popular/been around since 2006.

The porsche wheel seems to be identical in features, but honesty i haven't a clue which is better. they're both 300 bux i think.

I've just saw the latest 1UP SHOW video podcast, Shane mentioned he expect that Polyphony will finaly reveal new GT for PSP @ Sony pressconf.

We will know in 2 days...

on a sidenote, i've noticed that as you get closer to cars they look like they have 2 levels of detail that they suddenly pop into higher res as you approach them. It's especially noticeable on the high speed rings where you have to overtake them slowly by drafting.:

Easily noticeable every time you start a race and the camera is showing all the cars at once.

They look low res and they have different shadowing.

There should be the online/community update coming on fall which could improve the graphics engine also... Some rumours about damage modelling too though I wouldn't count on that.

Damage modeling has been confirmed, PD has also said graphics will evolve aswell, but that may be related to GT5.

Anyways:

IGN said:
Gran Turismo head Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed that the series is finally going to be implementing damage, saying it could be included as a downloadable feature for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue as early as this Autumn.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864142p1.html

G25 is great; only problem some people seem to have is the shifter being a little fragile. spirited shifts have been known to crimp wires which result in not being able to get in certain gears.
"Spirited shifts".. that's funny, especially seeing as how I don't even do that in my real car. Shifting quickly does not necessarily imply that you're ramming the stick home.. hehe.

I've still got my old Driving Force Pro from GT4. It works plenty well enough for me in GT5, I'll probably just stick with that. Works on the PC, too, which is a plus.

Just two quick questions again.

1. Is the G25 a sequtional box or is it the normal H pattern.

2. Has anyone used the G25 on GT:5P and can confirm that it all works (doesn't matter about clutch, i dont use it).

Just two quick questions again.

1. Is the G25 a sequtional box or is it the normal H pattern.

2. Has anyone used the G25 on GT:5P and can confirm that it all works (doesn't matter about clutch, i dont use it).

it has both, so does the Porsche wheel

i've used the G25 on GT5:p & yes it works. The clutch works but only w/ the H-shifter.

I thought this was funny:

IGN: Earlier this year, you mentioned that Polyphony was working on a patch for GT5 Prologue that would add damage modeling to the game later this year. Is that still happening?

Kazunori Yamauchi:
Our plans haven't changed, and we're working on it. But this is Gran Turismo, so it might be a little bit late. [laughs all around]

Brief interview. A few interesting tidbits.

Like GT5 possibly coming out by 2010 :???:

I guess theyre going with a 1 GT game this generation as opposed to the 2 games per generation. The only bad part is people who are eager for this game will have to keep waiting, or buy Prologue in desperation :LOL:

Since im a prologue owner, it doesnt matter since they still update the game so I continue to enjoy it.

Like GT5 possibly coming out by 2010 :???:

I guess theyre going with a 1 GT game this generation as opposed to the 2 games per generation. The only bad part is people who are eager for this game will have to keep waiting, or buy Prologue in desperation :LOL:

Since im a prologue owner, it doesnt matter since they still update the game so I continue to enjoy it.

Looks that way. But I'm rather surprised by the treatment of Prologue. I thought its purpose was a quick cash in to fund (ridiculously long) development, and get some consumer feedback on things like online play and what not. But that interview I linked to reads like their focus is actually currently on Prologue, and will shift to GT5 when their done. This confuses me... How separate are these projects? What exactly are they planning for GT5? I always thought Prologue was just simply GT5 as a work in progress, and as they added stuff to GT5, they might add it to Prologue as well. Hopefully someone will sit down with Polyphony for some clarification.

IGN: Lastly, what's the status on the full Gran Turismo 5? Where are you at in production?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Of course after this next update, we're going to have another update later on in the year. There's no plans in the works for GT5 yet - that might be 2009, or it might be 2010... But we're totally focused on getting the updates through for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and that's all we're focused on.

But that interview I linked to reads like their focus is actually currently on Prologue, and will shift to GT5 when their done. This confuses me... How separate are these projects? What exactly are they planning for GT5? I always thought Prologue was just simply GT5 as a work in progress, and as they added stuff to GT5, they might add it to Prologue as well. Hopefully someone will sit down with Polyphony for some clarification.

Might be something lost in translation or something, because in previous interviews they talk about how they are working on GT5 and that GT5P will get updates as development comes along.

Either way, its not like it matters. GT5P and GT5 will be essentially the same but one game featuring tons more cars, tracks, challenges etc etc etc.

I have always thought GT5P is GT5 work-in-progress too.

It's the same approach "they" are going to take with PS Home: Deliver incremental updates based on user feedback. I guess it helps to manage cash flow better too. May be they will have a final rev and then rebadge it as GT5 when the time is right :p

EDIT: How's their GT TV so far ? I think they mess that one up. The need to make the shows downloadable from the PS Store too. Either that or make GT TV easier and quicker to launch directly (from XMB).

They announced much earlier that they had plans to keep updating and developing Prologue until it becomes the full GT5, and then maybe release GT5 on BluRay as well. I think they've been temporarily uncertain of this direction at one point, but so far it looks like they're definitely back on this route. I think it's a good idea - as they mentioned back then, the advantage is that they can now focus more on what the community asks for, and test out the response of their audience to the new features sooner. I think we'll see this more and more with online games, that the games will become more of a service that is continually supported, expanded and updated. This is a vision that seems common with Sony developers, as you see it in a lot of their online enabled games, receiving many updates and keeping that up for a very long time.

I've just been playing this game again because a colleague of mine is getting into this game more and more and this week even bought the new wheel (the cheaper GT Pro one). He also entered that GT Academy thing that we mentioned earlier, and he had a tough time even getting close to the top times (Fairlady Z on Eiger, N1/N1 tires, pro mode). I think he was six seconds out. I wanted to see how close I could get to see how far he's coming along in the game. I'm two seconds from first currently and made it into the top 100 in the Netherlands (currently 72th, but I'm sure that will drop a bit as the deadline comes up). I see at least one familiar face on place 4, a guy who won a previous GT4-based championship (which had very few participants back then). The deadline is almost over though - figuring that people have had seven weeks though I'm satisfied with my performance. ;)

It's a very good combo they've chosen by the way, it's very nice to drive and not too easy.

I question the Polyphony development process when I read these kinds of statements.
Prologue should not be Polyphony's main focus, their focus should be on getting GT5 out the door in time to compete with Turn 10's next game. Somebody at Sony needs to sit down with these guys and have them reevaluate their development model, because from where I sit, it is fucking terrible.

I question the Polyphony development process when I read these kinds of statements.
Prologue should not be Polyphony's main focus, their focus should be on getting GT5 out the door in time to compete with Turn 10's next game. Somebody at Sony needs to sit down with these guys and have them reevaluate their development model, because from where I sit, it is fucking terrible.

I disagree. Let them take their time, PD makes brilliant games, once they are out they are near perfection. Id rather wait a year for a near perfect game rather than something rushed out to compete with Forza.

Imo PD could compete with Forza 3 easily by just releasing an updated version of GT5P with much more cars, tracks and proper challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back