The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but about the GFX looking poor to some. Just watching a replay of one of my races its looks like the game has Depth of Field & Atmospheric/Weather heat haze (at least on the Daytona track). Both making back grounds look pretty messed up.

Least this is what the replay looks like to me. To busy looking at the race when racing.

Yeah, the replay drops down to 30fps and adds DOF, motion blur (on the environment, not on the cars), and various atmospheric effects.

Prologue is pretty sensational at times.
Every time your vehicle transitions from a well shaded patch, like the tunnel at Eiger Norwand, to a well lit area, the corresponding blooming effect is outstanding, it never fails to impress. Also, it's surprising how much the cockpit view adds to the game, in one of the class C events, you have to pass 15 other cars in a one lap speed race, driving a Honda Integra. I kept coming in second place, so I switched to the dashboard view so that I could guage the wind resistance more easily and draft more effectively. Came in first place shortly after the adjustment, I thought it was cool that the cockpit view was something more than a showy gimmick.
As far as graphics problems, I notice most of the screen tear occurs on whilst cornering with 3 or 4 cars, in the A class races and most notably on the London course. I hadn't encountered any significant framedrops until the A class races, and even then, it only happened when I'm in the cockpit view, cornering with several other vehicles.
I'm not seeing any significant aliasing in game, (the showcase vehicles have horrendous aliasing issues) whether I'm playing at 720p or 1080p.
It's very impressive how good this game looks running at 60, but aside from the much needed update potentially coming in the fall, I do wish Polyphony had put more detail in the tracks;I get less of a sensation of speed doing a cockpit view at 185 mph in my Ferrari than I do going 140 mph in a "certain other game."

I'd be interested to know whether or not Polyphony are using the some of the same brute force rendering methods they did with GT4, i.e. baking the lighting onto the car textures.I notice that at the sides of the cars, the reflections will occassionally "pop in" rather than slide in a more seamless manner, but I'm sort of skeptical PD would brute force it on the current hardware.
Could it be that the specular mapping updates at 30 fps,accounting for the occassional pop in effect?

My first impressions are very good. The cars look so damn good it is unreal. The tracks are hit or miss but when it is good wow. I did most of the C class races so far and I am liking it a lot. My only complaints are no damage and the DS3. I don't like the triggers on it I wish I could play the game on the 360 control pad. I just don't have the money for a nice wheel right now.

New online modes

The online races are updated today (1st of May).
There are two races for the F2007, High Speed Ring reverse and Fuji Speedway (F).
There are two 750 pp races in the PRO class.
700 pp have moved to intermediate.

My first impressions are very good. The cars look so damn good it is unreal. The tracks are hit or miss but when it is good wow. I did most of the C class races so far and I am liking it a lot. My only complaints are no damage and the DS3. I don't like the triggers on it I wish I could play the game on the 360 control pad. I just don't have the money for a nice wheel right now.

I feel the exact opposite. That 360 controller is a maddening lesson in twitchy hell, IMHO. I guess damage will come, but the BIG thing is being able to choose who you race with online. That need s to come pronto!

I feel the exact opposite. That 360 controller is a maddening lesson in twitchy hell, IMHO. I guess damage will come, but the BIG thing is being able to choose who you race with online. That need s to come pronto!

Seconded. Haven't been playing since. I want to be able to race against my buddies...

I wish I could download the Japan update...but it always fails. Meh. I want background downloading! Why can't we download updates off the store or something, and then install them. Grr.

Seconded. Haven't been playing since. I want to be able to race against my buddies...

I've havent found much time to race online lately (just a few hours for the first time in a while this weekend to get gold on two events in C and B that I didn't manage gold on the first time I went through the game), but most of my long-time GT friends solve this problem by carefully timing when they enter a race, e.g. all enter at exactly 11:14, and then repeat that every twelve minutes (or however long a race lasts). This works fairly well and actually gets a good pace as well, no waiting around because someone just got a phonecall or whatever. ;)

However, the thing that most of us over here want closed matches for is to keep some drivers out. ;) Though most of the time they don't bother us too much - few drivers are both pissheads and fast (though they do exist) and we mostly get past them.

GT Academy

I think this is way cool.
PD and nissan are creating a competion over Europe, the winner gets to drive a race car in a 24 hour endurace race.

http://www.granturismoworld.com/en/gt_academy/index.htm said:
Industry leaders PlayStation and Nissan have come together to create the ultimate competitive driving test – GT Academy. GT Academy is an eight-month European competition which combines virtual and real-life racing to make the wildest dreams of two aspiring race drivers come true. More information, leaderboards and in-game video will be added to this site over the next few weeks so keep coming back for more.
http://www.granturismoworld.com/en/gt_academy/index.htm

More infor here:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11714

Too bad I won't win though. :(

Nürburgring in Spec II?

I found it in the most unusual of places:

zv7iwn.jpg

5xn050.jpg

mllbbr.jpg

ictfuh.jpg

Sorry if its old, chaps :cry:

Though if such thing does/will exist.... *faint*

:oops: I stopped playing prologue because the tracks are boring IMO. I would trade them all for this one. I hope they'll ad more tracks soon. I like to see Trail mountain, Deep forest, Special stage R5 and Citt di Aira. More fantasy tracks should also allow them to show of the grafiks better.

Edit: A 2.30 minutes time limit on this track. :(

Looks to me like there are various checkpoints marked across the map. It is likely a time limit to the next checkpoint.

There seem to be around 10 check points on that map. That would give you 25 minutes to finish. 10 minutes would be enough. But we'll see how it turns out in the actual game if they release it before GT5.

I think it's fairly certain that they will not be adding any more tracks or cars to GT5P.

The only improvements will be to the game engine not the content.

Why not? We already got the High Speed Ring extra. A few cars and maybe a track should keep people happy until GT5 is released. They'll probably end buying them again with GT5. So why not pretend to hand out free stuff in the meantime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back