Changing perceptions.

nelg

Veteran
Warning this thread is not meant to be a typical vs. or comparison thread. Keep posts related to changes in perceptions only.

Now, with the releases of the Wii and PS3, the next generation has fully arrived. We can now compare tangible experiences as opposed to theoretics. Being so, has anyone's perceptions changed? Personally, my perception of the XOX 360 and the Wii has improved.

The 360 really seems to have hit its stride. Playing to its strengths, Gears of War shows that this console has some legs and it is deserving of its 'Next Gen' tag. Also its impressive library of shipping and upcoming games shows that there is a lot of support behind it. It also seems, to me, to be the most mainstream of the three. I was at a Shopper Drug Mart (similar to a Walgreen) the other night and, lo and behold, they had a shelf of 360's for sale. Lastly, while I have been helping my brother look for a Wii, I have noticed in others a decidedly positive attitude towards the 360. Friends, their children, and even sales people have all made positive comments on the console or games themselves. Before this season, I did not hear any such comments.

The Wii, on the other hand, has clearly shown that 'fun' is just as an important ingredient as graphics. The idea of being a physically active participant in the games is very appealing. I don't know of the lasting appeal of it but for me, when the Wii reaches a lower price point, I will get one for the kids (okay maybe for me as well). Add to that Nintendo's own games, which seldom disappoint and it is hard to see going wrong with it.

For the PS3, my perception is slightly improved, compared to what it was before launch. If Blu-Ray proves to be the ultimate winner of the next gen media wars, then that would further enhance its attractiveness to me. Resistance FOM has demonstrated that Cell can be tackled and bodes well for upcoming titles. Of course it is impossible to ignore Sony's stable of exclusives which adds to its value. Finally the rumors of Tivo type functionality is very enticing.

To conclude, personally, all three consoles seem more impressive to me now than before. Insofar as the one that has increased the most, my pick is the 360, both for myself and what I can perceive of others.

Although I'm pretty much an outsider in the console space my general opinion of the 360 has considerably improved as well. Interesting that I didn't consciously notice that until I read this post. Still have high expectations for the PS3 but the 360 now has an equal chance of being my first next-gen console purchase ( assuming I buy one at all :D)

My opinion of the Wii has dropped considerably though but that's probably because I haven't been exposed to its greatest asset - actually playing it :) The video-playing-kiosks have been pretty unimpressive.

Well my perceptions have changed.

- Wii, I don't consider technologically as cutting edge, but now I don't think that matters. The cheaper price (because it's not mega-cutting edge tech) and the innovative controller that invests you physically and emotionally in a game means the console that I previously considered an "also-ran" has a huge fun-factor that the other consoles don't have. A valuable unique selling point, not just in the controller, but in the gaming experience that gets designed around it.

- Xbox360. While it comes from the company we all love to hate, it's well specced to supply next-gen graphics and power, has had a year to settle itself in, fix problems and for the developers to get a grip with it and start producing mega-games. Gears Of War, Lost Planet, live online, etc all work to make the system attractive. It's cheaper than the PS3, easier to buy, and more established.

- PS3. This was supposed to be the all conquering hero, but it's constant delays and high price will put many people off, and it's got to come from behind when it comes to quality titles. I think Sony has made a mistake in sacrificing some of their console aims in order to leverage Blu-Ray, and I think they may pay for it in the form of giving their competitors a free run on the market for a significant time.

Overall, I think the current state of the market is that software sells hardware. People look at the games like GoW or Lost Planet, they look at people jumping around in front of the Wii and they think "Hey, that looks like a really fun game, what system do I need to play it on"? As one person in a circle of friends gets a game and says "buy a 360 and we can play it on live", buying patterns will be influenced.

Sure, there will be diehards who will be loyal to a given manufacturer regardless, but I think a lot of casual gamers may not be willing to wait on PS3 and it's high price when they can see (and experience) the fun and titles that are available on the shipping consoles. Just because Sony's got a name for itself, that won't stop it being abandoned by the public if they see it as being poor value or without enough games to make it a worthwhile purchase.

I too have noticed a lot of changed perceptions, esp on gaming forums.

Wii - The biggest winner so far (as far as perception is concerned). If you were to ask a year ago, many people would have said something probably along the lines of it being a GC part 2 and that Nintendo's market share will remain the same. Nintendo did a good job (way better than MS or Sony) on the launch, having more available units, an AAA game (Zelda: TP), priced much closer to what mainstream gamers can afford. Everywhere I go on the gaming forums, I see that much much more enthusiasm for the Wii. Yes, gaming forums are not representative of the regular Joe consumer but launch sales numbers have confirmed that the regular Joe is flocking to Wii at a fantastic rate. Personally, Wii has impressed me much more than I think it would have; however, I am still cautious on how much legs the system really has when HDTVs become more and more of the norm, depending on the quality/quantity of the 3rd party games, and as prices of the compeition fall (esp 360). Result: +2

360 - Pretty big winner as well. I agree with the OP, the system is now out of its infant stage and starting to really hit its stride. GOW is amazing graphically and proves that the system is up to 'next-gen snuff'. Live plays a vital part of the system and makes you feel like you're connected with the 360 experience, other players, updates/downloads, etc. Live to me is a killer app. The lineup for 2007 is arguably the best of the 3 systems and as the prices fall, it'll really push sales. I've seen the perception on the forums and speaking to friends that they are very exciting for the 360 and I think the software attach rate for the system shows this. Hardware sales are solid but not fantastic, but again it's not cheap. Once it hits 200-300, Halo 3, GTA5, MA, etc I believe sales will really go up. Result: +1

PS3 - The system is definitely going through all the issues the 360 had during its first year. A bad launch (probably worse than 360), very few games (maybe one great game so far?), some niggling bugs, online isn't where it's supposed to be for a system that was delayed. Hopefully all these issues will be ironed out by next fall when the heavy hitters start hitting. The biggest problem I see with the system is the price. $500-600 is not mainstream. Sony has to drive the price down down down. Overall enthusiasm is still pretty high for the system as it is powerful and we know a ton of good games will come out for it. The problem is for the PS3 is time. Will consumers flock to the 360 instead for their HD game fix? Personally, I am cautiously optimistic on the PS3. It probably will not do PS1/PS2 numbers but is still a solid bet. Result: even

As I don't follow a maker or support just one console, for my gaming needs now it would have to be the 360. It has the games, the online service... now I just need a small price drop :D

Edit: I believe I'll end up getting all three consoles. On the PS3 and Wii, I'll buy the big exclusives and on the 360, I'll get the big exclusives and multiplatform games (due to Live).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wii >>>> 360 >> PS3

My perception on the PS3 has never been good, but the amount pain that Sony likes to put people through is beyond annoying and just out right pisses me off really. Not to mention certain "people" just let it get spoon fed to them and say "Thank you master Sony".

Everybody seems to agree with the fact that 360 perception as a good product improve.
I think so too, I've almost sure that if I buy a 360 2 of may friends will buy it, we want to play live.
There is still something holding them back, they are causual gamers and one of them have a ps2 with 0 "official game".
They feel that the 360 is a good system and that live is astounding for coop,etc...
They agree on buying the system and official games, but none of them want to pay for live.
So I'm holding my breath and hope that when the ps3 will take off MS will price drop the sytem and live.

My perseption for the ps3 is not positive, from what i read and I've seen so far, it's still a beta product.
It's sad i've some interest in linux and I use pc as media center and for some word work and off course web browsing, I have to change my Pc (it's too hold to consider an upgrade....) the ps3 could have fit the bill as a good gaming system and a cheap media center.
But linux's still too beta at this time.
And the more it takes time to the ps3 to offer a seamless experience the more the option of put together a cheap barebone 200$ pc and buy a cheaper 360 makes sense in regard to convinience/ and perf (at least to me).
So I feel that sony is really late, on all account.

What I find interesting is that at this point nobody question the fact that the ps3 is more powerfull.
Lot of dev say the system are almost equal and say that will TIME (again...) will know how to push the most out of the cell. Ok but it's still expectation, ok devs expectations are often a lot closer to reality than lamba guy expectations but they still expectation.
My point is not to rise a new console war, but it's interesting that nobody (in the mass market) question the fact that the ps3 will be the leading plateform performance wize. That perception is a HUGE achievement for Sony marketters. Even if first gen games are not so great.
And I think sony has manage something huge even if game looks better on 360 in a year or two, there will still be this feel like it's not fair it 's xgen game vs a x+1 gen game comparision.
The more stuffs i read the more i think that the 360 could be the leading plateform performance wize by an hair. Even when devs says both system are on par for mass market the ps3>>360.
how it will take too consumer to realize that the system are ~equal? It could never occurs.
Hand sony, great marketting work, the 360 perception improve but nobody question ps3 hardware superiority (mass market point of view).

Wii >>>> 360 >> PS3

My perception on the PS3 has never been good, but the amount pain that Sony likes to put people through is beyond annoying and just out right pisses me off really. Not to mention certain "people" just let it get spoon fed to them and say "Thank you master Sony".

The question is though, has your perceptions changed?

Yes, I think even lower of Sony.

I have to say as far as I am concerned the Sony name has been tarnished over the last couple of years, so it's not such an advantage as far as I am concerned. When I think of Sony, I think overpriced, delayed, unrepentant root-kitters, quality problems, exploding batteries, etc.

The Sony brand is now associated in my mind with the other related problems that have the Sony name attached to them, so it's not the advantage in branding that it once was.

I have to say as far as I am concerned the Sony name has been tarnished over the last couple of years, so it's not such an advantage as far as I am concerned. When I think of Sony, I think overpriced, delayed, unrepentant root-kitters, quality problems, exploding batteries, etc.

The Sony brand is now associated in my mind with the other related problems that have the Sony name attached to them, so it's not the advantage in branding that it once was.

An average gamer is ignorant of such things and does not know them. IMO Sony still has the "brandname", even today if PS3 production triples everything will be sold. Sony will have to something drastically wrong over a prolong period to lose the market crown.

Edit: Even if I had money I won't buy any of three, I no longer have the same enthusiasm I used to have 2-3 years back primarily bec'se of Work/Studies and Internet. :smile:

About perceptions

PS3: I had most expectations from PS3 (being a PS gamer since last 2 generations) and still have. Though recent production related issues have dented it a bit, as far as gaming potential is concerned it is still on top of my list. It still have the big franchises.

360: It has made good progress IMO, the fact that it is cheaper than PS3 and has a solid library now makes it an attractive proposition.

Wii: I wasn't enthusiastic about it since begining but I now have even lower expectations from it. I am particularly disappointed by its specs, I did expect better specs from Nintendo (from what I have read it barely tops Xbox which is really disappointing for a next gen console).

This is a good thread and one I think in which we should avoid trying to changes ones perception. Add your thougths and move on to avoid the back n' forth that gets other threads locked.

I have no experience with a Wii so I cannot comment.

The 360 has matured rapidly over the past year and very much so in the last quarter. I had one since launch and really, it didnt' get much play until right around Gears came out. Now I can't get away from it! Gears, RB6, COD3 plus a lot more desirable games coming out in the near future. Apart from that, Live has improved greatly. I like video marketplace, and being able to get demo's, trailers, and arcade games. It's good fun. With WMP11 I use it even more since I can now listen to my songs via the surround system instead of headphones. Same with video.

The PS3, from a software perspective is simply not ready for primetime. Right now, I'm a beta tester who paid $800. I'm not going to go into every detail but it needs to mature a lot and catch up. What really hurts Sony is the constant shit talking they did for 2 years now. It's all catching up now. Really, had they kept their mouth shut, they'd get a break but when you constantly put down the competition and fail to deliver, you better take it like a man. The list of improvements the PS3 must make to catch up the 360's offerings is a rather long one. Can they all be done? Sure, but some of them should have been present from day one, especially considering how the console was delayed as is.

Present day, the PS3 has me appreciating my 360 more. This holiday season, due to the various deal (Microcenter and Overstock.com) a few friends picked theirs up and they couldn't be happier. If anything, MS isn't doing enough to promote the various aspects of the 360, in which it really excels.

i have to say that i'm unimpressed with what the wii offer.
too few really good titles. a lot titles seem to be rushed, cheap conversion.

so far, no games seems to show the Wii has better hardware than the GC.
i can tolerate last gen graphics, but there seems to be a trend with bad framerates.

look at far cry wii version: baad graphics AND bad framerate.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/751/751136p1.html

i won't invest 250 € with a game libary that is so much lacking

unless enough good software is released in the coming months, the public could loose interest as fast as it became interested.

xbox360 seems to be a fine product with fine games.
PS3 could be if is was available and cheaper.

Robert, can i safely say that your perceptions are as follows, 360 increasing, PS3 decreasing, Wii abstained?

wii >> 360 >> ps3

reasoning:

wii has an awesome gameplay, and, for me, zelda, the major point. it has exceptional gameplay (wii sports and zelda let us spend about 1/3rd of each day the last 10 days since i have it, and everyone around wanted to join in). this will continue, and the amount of games (wich is low, as the console just started to appear) will grow.
i personally hope for some sports winter edition, with curling in :)

xbox 360 is out now for about a year, and has thus the biggest game palette. it has great hardware, and is a solid system. besides that, the XNA framework shows huge promise to get a lot of small games for cheap, or free, done by indy developers. i have the XNA framework myself, and play with some tests and thoughts, too. definitely a great platform with a lot of value. it has "just" ordinary gameplay, but that was good enough over years, so it is still good enough, depending on game.

ps3 simply has nothing that really spots out why one should have one. good graphics? the 360 has that, too. better gameplay? it will not beat the wii on the innovative side, nintendo on the gameplay side, nor the xbox on the pc-game-style side (fps and such). the only great argument i always hear is the bluray. but what does it bring to GAMING? nothing. more storage, but a game _can_ be split over several dvd's, it's not THAT tragic. bluray player? sorry, but if i want that, i'll BUY A BLURAY PLAYER! (or a bluray rom for pc, even better). i will for sure not buy a ps3 to play bluray, it's the worst way to get such a player. reason nr. one: price.

for the price of ps3 like hw and games, you get some games "for free" if you buy an xbox and a bluray player in separate...

what matters in the end is, if a console can bring you fun for the money you pay. currently, a ps3 should bring about 2 times as much fun, just because of it's price. there's NOTHING today and in future, that shows me, that this is possible.

i for myself stay with the wii, and a pc for pc games, and someday get an own xbox360 if i got something nice for XNA.

I say that ther Wii has changed my perception. I initially thought that it would be the X-factor out of the 2 consoles. After observing, long lines, a general upbeat buzz, diversity of folks purchasing the system, sold out -nunchucks, and selling like hotcakes...I will say that the Wii perception IMO is such that I can see them leading this gen's install base or at the minium in second place. The interesting question is who will take 3rd place?

Wii>360>PS3

After owning the Wii for 3 weeks now, I can honestly say this is one of best systems I have ever owned. I've owned every system and this thing is just fun. The whole family enjoys it and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts being that its on almost all the time. I'm having so much fun with this system that I find myself caring less about the other 2.

But in the end, I will most likely get one of the other 2 to round out my collection. I just bought an HDTV, so I want to abuse it. I'm a little more interest in the future of PS3 for HDMI and 1080P reasons but the 360 is obviously the better choice for now. I don't think the 360 deserves all the hype it's been receiving lately, though. Being that they still have yet to ship Mass Effect, Forza and Too Human. I don't care for shooters. It seems like more big games should have been released this year for Microsoft.

But the Wii has taken my mind off of the other 2 for now. I'll be back to graphics when both systems start releasing the big guns.

I must say that currently I am around equally interested on both the PS3 and a 360. This could change though if Sony fixes some of the problems and when some of its AAA games are being released, but only time will tell because 360 is going to get many AAA titles as well.

I must admit that Wii doesnt excite me at all. Its more like a product which is interesting enough to pull my attention and make me want one just to have some crazy fun with it with firends. So far I see nothing on it that makes it seem like it offers any serious gaming.

360 and PS3 have that crown currently. Ofcourse the good thing about Wii is that its cheap. And it will get dead cheaper later.

So for Wii I can label it like this "want to get some direct fun and have laughs with friends with just a few bucks? There it is!"
PS3 and 360 on the other hand are the real deal when it comes to serious gaming.

My perception of Wii wasn't honestly all that good to begin with. I'm a huge Gamecube fan...a fan-boy, even...but I was iffy about Wii. Before launch, I had a pretty "meh" impression of the graphics, and that hasn't changed. I like Gamecube graphics fine, and I haven't really been itching for an upgrade...I really just want new games. My impression of the controller from reviews has gone downhill a lot. It sounds like it just isn't that accurate, and any attempt to do "traditional" gameplay has miserably failed from a control standpoint. The button layout is just ill-advised. I like weird games. But I also like to make Sam Fisher snap some necks.
Wii -2.

As for the Xbox 360, my initial impression of it was "Pay an expensive premium to play games that could have been released on Xbox, but now with HD and better special effects. Plus expect your machine to self-immolate." That impression hasn't changed, but add to it "Also, pay developers for content that used to be part of the purchase price."
Xbox -1.

PS3. Holy crap, PS3.
PS3 -500

My next game console will probably be a PS2.

Back