Dragon Quest IX is coming out on Nintendo DS

As I've said on other threads, this probably makes good business sense for Squeenix. However it's a bit of a let-down for a number of gamers (there seem to be plenty of DS owners on NeoGAF who are disappointed). I for one would prefer to play a 50-100 hour epic on the big screen with an improvement in graphical and aural detail over DQ8, rather than on a tiny screen with a downgrade in these details.

I'm sure DQ9 will be great and all - and it's the death knell for the already flagging PSP in Japan - but I seriously doubt Dragon Quest will be on DS forever.

edit: yes, it's THE Dragon Quest 9, not a spin-off.

Just heard the news myself, what a bummer.. Then again, isn't White Knight for PS3 by the same guys? The trailer kicked ass if memory serves me right :)

There hasn't been a million seller for PS2 since FFXII if I remember correctly(feel free to correct me if I am wrong), and sales are steadily decresing for home consoles for like 4 years in a row.
But for Nintendo DS, there are already many million sellers out there...so they probably believed that DS is where they can sell most DQ9 games.
Also, developing for DS will cost LOT less than developing for either of next-gen consoles(even including Wii)..so it kinda makes sense in terms of business standpoint. They don't have to worry about overseas either because DQ is not really big title outside of Japan.

They probably need all their big asset-creation guns on FF13. And they are at this point running out of games that can easily be remade for Nintendo handhelds :LOL:
Somehow that's all understandable. You could say they're abusing the DQ franchise, but it's absolutely theirs, and as long as they continue making games and assure high quality (FF X-2, I'm looking at you) I'm fine with that.

Btw xmu, White Knight Story is not by Square Enix, but by Level 5, whatever that means (I hope they are not a division lest I make a fool of myself). The same guys who made Rogue Galaxy.

Level 5 is still an independent developer AFAIK. They did Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 as well as this game. They're going to have their self publish title for the DS early next year.

This DQ9 gave me a Final Fantasy CC vibe for some reason. I think they are testing the water with the branding of the game. This doesn't look like a traditional DQ despite having the number on it. They're brave in changing the magic formula, I give them that.

Some screenshots - apparently the main focus is on the online play. It's released in 2007.
http://www.dengekionline.com/data/news/2006/12/12/eaa67e42388f8818ed3ae4d1b756437c.html
20061212_dq_10.jpg

n20061212_dq_16.jpg

Am I the only one that's completely disappointed by this?

I know DQ has never really been about graphics, but to put it on the most anemic system out there, handheld to boot, and then change it to an action rpg (or at least more action oriented, from what I hear) definitely made me lose interest in it completely. Sound quality all of a sudden goes to hell, length of game (or variety/depth will probably suffer from being stuffed on a little cart -- maybe not), graphics definitely just went to the gutter. Either it's going to have the issue that some PSP games have and feel like it's not meant to be on a handheld, or it's going to be short little pieces of a game that probably won't feel much like the DQ many have come to enjoy (classic long RPG).

As time goes on, the game industry seems to be making more and more decisions that make me want to say 'f it' and find a new hobby.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo:cry: Why, why. I just don't get this. They already did Rocket Slime...ROCKET SLIM!!! :mad:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/dragon-quest/dragon-quest-ix-gameplay-footage-221139.php

Here's some gameplay footage.

It definitely has a Crystal Chronicles vibe coming from it. Personally, I think that could be a good thing. FF:CC was a blast when you could actually get 3-4 people with GBAs and cables to play. That style of gameplay meshes perfectly with DQ's "go to next town, get next sidequest, repeat" setup. Plus, DQ could use some innovation with regards to gameplay.

As far as the concern about graphics: since when has DQ EVER been about cutting-edge graphics? DQ has always had simple, clean, colorful visuals. Even DQ VIII, with it's fresh coat of paint, stuck to that same basic visual style, and DQ IX will as well. I could understand being upset if FF XIV were a DS game, but Dragon Quest is not Final Fantasy.

I fail to understand Squenix. On the one hand, they make a press conference to tell the world that they do not want any console manufacturer to dominate, thus they will evenly distribute exclusive games on all plattforms. On the other hand, they miss no opportunity to show their hatred for the PSP and eagerly help Nintendo rebuild their handheld monopoly.

I fail to understand Squenix. On the one hand, they make a press conference to tell the world that they do not want any console manufacturer to dominate, thus they will evenly distribute exclusive games on all plattforms. On the other hand, they miss no opportunity to show their hatred for the PSP and eagerly help Nintendo rebuild their handheld monopoly.

??? "Hatred"!?

Come on now, let's not take things so personally. No one "hates" the PSP, or any other console except internet-forum-posting-kids.

Square & Enix have always stuck to the biggest sellers, and they're still sticking to the biggest sellers. It's not about "hatred", and heck, it's not even a company preference - they support Sony with PS2 and PS3, and Nintendo on handhelds. That's it, it's business. They develop games for the platform with the biggest userbase, so they can maximise their chances to sell in huge numbers.

Heck, if MS keeps its lead in the next-gen, i'm fully expecting a major SquareEnix game on 360 sooner or later!

You know, they're making Crisis Core: FF VII for PSP.

Back