Wiimote PC control video.

$5.45 for that accelerometer.
http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,ADXL330,00.html#price

Any info on the camera part? From the WiiLi link, and browsing PixArt, it looks like their camera's are 30 fps tops, which is a bit rough. And the 1 MPixel sensors, which IIRC is the resolution of Wii's sensor, only run at 15 fps!

Is there any part number for the sixaxis motion detection? It'd be good to compare the cost of the motion solutions.

Also, doesn't this make Wiimote on PS3 Linux a possibility? :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
$5.45 for that accelerometer.
http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,ADXL330,00.html#price

Any info on the camera part?

They're working on the camera, but it's something custom. So there's no data sheet so the camera will take a while.

And any part number for the sixaxis motion detection? It'd be good to compare the cost of the motion solutions.
Haven't seen an open sixaxis yet. But with the serial number, it'd be an easy feat.

As long as you have two candles ready. :p Seriously it seems like their won't be any problems to read it out.

As long as you have two candles ready. :p Seriously it seems like their won't be any problems to read it out.
Actually, could Sony legally create Wiimote compatible PS3 games? If they don't sell the Wiimote, and players have to buy a Nintendo Wiimote, Sony wouldn't be infringing on their patents, would they? As Nintendo are selling the technology to the end user. Sony only have to provide a variety of BlueTooth controller interfacing options, so any old BlueTooth controller can work.

Extraordinarily unlikely to happen, but an interesting situation to consider.

Certainly, I'm sure watching two lines move accross a screen and change as the Wii controller is moved will become an extremely popular game on PS3 :LOL:

Actually, could Sony legally create Wiimote compatible PS3 games?

How are they going to explain why they made Wiimote compatiable games for a system with no controller to play them? :) Extraordinarily unlikely is an understantement I think.

Actually, could Sony legally create Wiimote compatible PS3 games? If they don't sell the Wiimote, and players have to buy a Nintendo Wiimote, Sony wouldn't be infringing on their patents, would they? As Nintendo are selling the technology to the end user. Sony only have to provide a variety of BlueTooth controller interfacing options, so any old BlueTooth controller can work.

Extraordinarily unlikely to happen, but an interesting situation to consider.

How are they going to explain why they made Wiimote compatiable games for a system with no controller to play them? :) Extraordinarily unlikely is an understantement I think.

Or they could use something like this :devilish:

See how I pimp my own threads? :p

GlovePie has updated. It now supports the Wiimote

Now you can use your Nintendo Wii Remote (Wiimote) to control PC games (or emulated games)! ...

About GlovePIE

GlovePIE stands for Glove Programmable Input Emulator. It doesn't have to be used with VR Gloves, but it was originally started as a system for emulating Joystick and Keyboard Input using the Essential Reality P5 Glove. Now it supports emulating all kinds of input, using all kinds of devices, including Polhemus, Intersense, Ascension, WorldViz, 5DT, and eMagin products. It can also control MIDI or OSC output.

Certainly, I'm sure watching two lines move accross a screen and change as the Wii controller is moved will become an extremely popular game on PS3 :LOL:
:???: When you can read the Wiimote's inputs, you can use it however you want.

You provide optional support for other controllers. eg. GT4 has support for wheels alongside the DS2. If you have a wheel you can use that, or use the thumbsticks. As PS3 seems to support any BlueTooth controller, you can develop your game with support for various alternatives, such as wheels or Fusion (ta, crazygambit!) or a Wiimote. eg. LucasArts could bring out a Jedi game incorporating EyeToy and Fusion support for Lightsabre control. They could also extend that to Wiimote it seems.

Again, I doubt it'll happen at all. Probably better to support the Fusion, unless it lacks Wii's accuracy. But I'm interested if using a Wiimote on PS3 would be legal! That'd be a bitter irony for Nintendo who were worried about the competition stealing their ideas - if instead they just borrowed them fairly!

Yep has been posted in the big WiiGeePeeU thread, starting here

Basically the Bluetooth and the accelerometers (5.45 USD) are just standard chips, with documentation readily available on the net; e.g. Datasheet accelerometers. So it's rather easy to get them to respond.
The IR camera is somewhat non-standard, thus it's not working yet. That's why the programs only use the accelerometer to control the mouse cursor. GlovePie let's you use Wiimote in all the programs on the PC via a special script.

:???: When you can read the Wiimote's inputs, you can use it however you want.

Of course, but what I was trying to say, in a sarcastic way I admit, is that overlaying inputs into games never designed for that controller will be a crappy way to play a game. You might as well just watch the lines move and see how they change when you move the Wiimote :)

You provide optional support for other controllers. eg. GT4 has support for wheels alongside the DS2. If you have a wheel you can use that, or use the thumbsticks. As PS3 seems to support any BlueTooth controller, you can develop your game with support for various alternatives, such as wheels or Fusion (ta, crazygambit!) or a Wiimote. eg. LucasArts could bring out a Jedi game incorporating EyeToy and Fusion support for Lightsabre control. They could also extend that to Wiimote it seems.

Your talking about a grey area, but it wouldn't hold up long in court. The fact is Nintendo designed the Wii controller to be used with Wii not PS3. Any large scale misuse of the product propagated by Sony would be stopped pretty quickly in court and Sony would end up losing a lot of money in damanges.

Your talking about a grey area, but it wouldn't hold up long in court. The fact is Nintendo designed the Wii controller to be used with Wii not PS3. Any large scale misuse of the product propagated by Sony would be stopped pretty quickly in court and Sony would end up losing a lot of money in damanges.

I don't see why that would happen. It's basically the same as using an adapter to attach my Dual Shock Controllers to my PC. You'll probably lose warranty, but apart from that...

I don't see why that would happen. It's basically the same as using an adapter to attach my Dual Shock Controllers to my PC. You'll probably lose warranty, but apart from that...

Yes attaching a Wii controller to your PS3 is like attaching a Dual Shock to your PC and nobody is going to get into trouble for that. But Sony actually developing games for PS3 that use the Wiimote to control the game (which is what Shifty and I were discussing) is a totally different matter and would end in a pretty quick and painful court case.

Of course, but what I was trying to say, in a sarcastic way I admit, is that overlaying inputs into games never designed for that controller will be a crappy way to play a game. You might as well just watch the lines move and see how they change when you move the Wiimote :)

There are going to be tons of games on the Wii that will barely use the Wiimote to the fullest. Even Zelda hardly uses it well IMO. I don't think you would consider using it to play Zelda crappy.

There are going to be tons of games on the Wii that will barely use the Wiimote to the fullest. Even Zelda hardly uses it well IMO. I don't think you would consider using it to play Zelda crappy.

No using the Wiimote to play Zelda isn't crappy, because they didn't just overlay Wii controller movements on top of stick/button commands. They reworked the controls to support Wii's controller. Surely you can see the difference? Crudley tacking on Wiimote control by mapping movements to buttons/sticks is never going to work in 95% of games (outside of what PS3's controller can already do with movement).

Surely you can see that there's a massive difference between not using the controller to its fullest and taking a game designed 100% for a dual analog pad and crudley tacking on Wiimote control by mapping movements to buttons/sticks?

I'd say that there could be a difference between those two examples you used, but much of it can easily be a gray area.

Even a game like Zelda which was designed for a pad initially had a hell of a lot more done to it to support Wii's controller then that.

Care to list some examples of how Zelda really uses the Wiimote? You'll see that (if you've played Zelda yourself) that no, the use of Wiimote could easily be swapped out with the standard GCN controller (and in fact it is for the GCN version AFAIK).

A game would need to be reworked to support Wii's controller in most circumstances (outside of what PS3's controller can already do with movement).

Well certainly some work would need to be done but I'm asking, "Does the Wiimote in Zelda feel tacked onto for you?" If it doesn't, then I think you'd be fairly tolerant of the Wiimote being used on the PS3.

Back