360: Video Marketplace now LIVE!

the bandwidth costs next to nothing.even if the HD version was 6x bigger in volume, it wouldn't justify a 50% price increase.

Apple ipod BOM doesn't justify costing 299 dollars either. The Nintendo Wii probably doesn't justify $249 either.

BTW, I dount the BW costs next to nothing since plenty of ISP's cap your DL's, that's paying $40 a month. I wouldn't be surprised if 40GBs costs them $40 to make a profit. But the ISP's make money on grandma who just checks her email, not the guy who DL's 200 GBs of anime a month.

Inquirer reports the fiasco:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35950
________
WEED BUBBLERS

Last edited by a moderator:
'Scuse me.

Capitalism police (again) must speak up:

Costs don't and shouldn't dictate the price. Supply and demand does. If $2 extra for HD is worth it to enough people, it will continue to be priced accordingly.

I think Magnum is not talking about how goods should be priced in general. He's talking about about how in his point of view the extra 2$ aren't worth it to him. That's something very different.

Anyway, let's not get into the "how capitalism works" debate as it's rather off topic.

I wouldn't have thought they need to as 360 does have a parental lock function built in.
Much like television broadcasters can't help it if people allow kids to stay up beyond the watershed or to buy in PPVs they're not old enough for, they can (I think) assume that parents would prevent the purchase of inappropriate content or even Microsoft points...

Ok, I just got my 360 last Friday & I had a similar question.

The 360 has a rating lock (look under family on the console settings blade) & if you give the main profile (that is the one with the credit card info) XBOX Live Password (look under account management on the Live blade) then nobody can download the pay games, demos, movies, etc or add points.

I think Magnum is not talking about how goods should be priced in general. He's talking about about how in his point of view the extra 2$ aren't worth it to him. That's something very different.

Anyway, let's not get into the "how capitalism works" debate as it's rather off topic.

And on that note, for what it's worth, if you purchase the HD version, you also get the SD version! :)

I did it, I downgraded cable to basic (tried to cancel it altogether but the scam that they run of jacking up the internet cost made it more cost effective to keep basic cable). I'm running Vista Ultimate at home, so I will be buying an indoor HDTV antenna and a PCI hdtv tuner for my OTA HD and using the 360 or media center to handle recording our shows that don't appear on the marketplace. I'm only 5 miles from the Sears Tower, so I am hoping to get excellent signal, even while being in an apartment.

Half of our shows are on the Marketplace, the rest are scheduled to come and we see a couple place holders for other shows (e.g. Viva Pinata). I have had zero issues with TV shows and I can begin playing them at about the 15-17% mark.

Movies on the other hand, what a cluster****, Christmas Vacation still has not gotten past zero, however, my expiration counter is already counting down and my points have been deducted, guess I will be calling xbox support.

Yes i'm just saying that I'm not willing to pay a 50% premium to the usual price to rent the HD version. As long as i can't archive the video, I don't own it.

I see you can pretendly own some TV show. You pay for it then you can erase it and download it again as much as you want.
But what do you do when the next generation console comes out ? In practice you'll have to buy the next console from the same brand if you want to be able to enjoy your collection. The owner is not the consumer : no thanks !

Just a note...he specifically talked about price in relationshipt to costs. (Additional bandwidth required for HD not justifying a price increase.)

That or some price-fixing resulting from an agreement between the different providers of the product.

They can "price fix" all they want...including right out of the demand curve.

Seriously, I'm not sure how anyone can (in practical terms) "price fix" something like entertainment. Movies are not something that can remotely be considered a necessity, and there's all kinds of competition from other sources (regular hard copy rentals, regular cable PPV, cable on demand, etc.)

Just a note...he specifically talked about price in relationshipt to costs. (Additional bandwidth required for HD not justifying a price increase.)

Yes I just did that. I hope the capitalist police won't throw me to a secret prison ;)

That's just that here the added value isn't worth 50 % for me. In this case if I know the increase in price is coupled with the increase in cost, it can be a factor that could entice me to bite the bullet anyway.

I happen to take account of costs where i negotiate price with a service provider. When i know they have good margins i know i can make them lower it and have a deal that is better for me while being fair for both sides.

I sometime use the cost as one of the parameters used to evaluate if a price is good or not, this is not like pretending that price should always be coupled with cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the same topic

The Canal+ group (French pay per view broadcasting group, owned by Vivendi Universal, for thoses few who care) announced its IPTV solution for the X360:
http://www.canalplay.com/aide/canalplay-sur-la-tv.aspx

edit: CEO, please, could try to use some alternative instead of the F-word, please. ;)
I'm saying because it's the second post from you I read today that contains the single one word referred to as the "f-word".

Yes I just did that. I hope the capitalist police won't throw me to a secret prison ;)

It's not a secret prison...it's public flogging. :)

That's just that here the added value isn't worth 50 % for me. In this case if I know the increase in price is coupled with the increase in cost, it can be a factor that could entice me to bite the bullet anyway.

That's odd IMO. I personally don't give a whit what it costs the producer / supplier. All I care about is if the service / product is worth the price.

I happen to take account of costs where i negotiate price with a service provider.[ When i know they have good margins i know i can make them lower it and have a deal that is better for me while being fair for both sides.

I don't care what is "fair." I make an offer and it's up to the service supplier to accept or reject. If he accepts...it's fair. The only thing that knowing the margins does for me is give me an idea of what offer will be accepted or rejected.

I sometime use the cost as one of the parameters used to evaluate if a price is good or not, this is not like pretending that price should always be coupled with cost.

I see it differently...cost is not a factor for me in evaluating if a price is good or not. What do I care what a product costs? What it does, is gives me an idea if the seller will be willing to sell it for a price that I am willing to pay.

Anyway, to put this back on track...

Are there any decent analysis / comparisons about the video quality and how it fares against similar media?

Anyway, to put this back on track...

Are there any decent analysis / comparisons about the video quality and how it fares against similar media?

Here's my take on it:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=880132&postcount=47

Once they have more HD movies and fix their download speeds, I'll try some more. If they can bring the price down and speed up the downloads, I'd be sold on it. Queue up a download, leave for work, come home at night and enjoy my movie. While some movies I like to own, majority are impluse one time viewing.

BUMP

Microsoft has announced that the long awaited European launch of Video Marketplace on Xbox Live will take place on December 11.

Films will cost 250 Microsoft Points (GBP 2.13 / EUR 2.91) in standard definition and 380 MS Points (GBP 3.23 / EUR 4.42) for high definition, and early examples include 300, The Matrix trilogy, the first two Harry Potter films and Clash of the Titans.

As of December 11, the service will have been launched in six countries - the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France and Germany - to varying degrees.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31202

What about Canada? We're your bloody neighbours! :mad:

(it's limited to some UFC and Viva Pinata videos. What choice!)

Back