360: Video Marketplace now LIVE!

22psi

Veteran
I don't have a 360 (yet) but has anyone tried out this new feature? Very interested in this!

ALL TV shows in SD are 160 points. 240 points for HD versions.

Older movies SD 240.
Older movies HD 360.

Newer movies SD 320.
Newer movies HD 480.

BTW, Happy 1st Bday to the 360. :)

Are thoose prices for renting a movie or will it be playable for as long as it is on your harddrive ?.

Are thoose prices for renting a movie or will it be playable for as long as it is on your harddrive ?.

I think renting. Once you play it it's 24 hours. The real question is when are they going to go ahead and announce a 60-100 GB hardrive.

I think renting. Once you play it it's 24 hours. The real question is when are they going to go ahead and announce a 60-100 GB hardrive.

Both. Rental movies, and purchase TV shows. TV shows are yours once purchased, and can be deleted from your HDD and redownloaded later.

Must say, I'm very surprised this didn't coincide with the announcement of a bigger HDD.

Must say, I'm very surprised this didn't coincide with the announcement of a bigger HDD.

I don't think they can at this point. A bigger HDD will probably result in a change in price structure for the existing storage devices, and they don't want to get into that can of worms in the holiday season.

I don't think they can at this point. A bigger HDD will probably result in a change in price structure for the existing storage devices, and they don't want to get into that can of worms in the holiday season.

Agreed.

Any significantly new hardware or SKU is not going to happen this year. Will probably be February at the earliest...more likely March or April at this point.

From the Live press release:

As announced earlier this month, Xbox Live Marketplace will now provide gamers with easy access to hundreds of full-length TV shows for download to own and movies for download to rent from CBS, MTV...
After purchasing a high-definition TV show or movie, you can download the standard-definition version at no additional charge.
I don't really see the full terms of agreement around, though. I assume the TV shows are on the same terms as Xbox Live games, but movies seem to be rent only; one assumes a 24-hour period? I certainly hope the stream well, then, as they're supposed to appeal to the impulse purchaser.

Edit: Found the relevant info:

Usage Rights
You can download two kinds of content from Video Marketplace: Purchase and rental. What is now called purchase is pretty much what you're already used to. You download the video and you can view it on your console with any profile. In addition, you can download and view any video on another console as long as you're signed in to Xbox Live®with the profile you originally downloaded it with. Most of the time you'll see a "does not expire" tag when you check the info for this kind of video.

Rentals are a new concept for Video Marketplace, so I want to be very clear about how this works. Think of it as a combo rental/pay-per-view deal. When you rent a video, you have 14 days to watch it. Once you start watching it, you have 24 hours to finish watching it, so long as it's still within those 14 days.
ilmvideoratings.jpg

When you look at the info for a rental video, you'll see that it's tagged with an expiration countdown clock. When you first confirm the video download, the 14 day countdown will start. This countdown starts the moment you confirm your rental, whether you start the download or not. Once you start watching the video, it switches over to the 24-hour countdown clock. You can watch the video as often as you like until it expires.

One note about rentals: You have to watch them on the console you originally downloaded them on. You can't watch it on another console through your profile like you can with purchases. Also, if you delete a rental before the 14 days are up, you'll have to rent it again.

So the 360 rental is just like Comcast On Demand, except that it's slightly more expensive and you have up to 13 days to start watching the movie.

With Comcast On Demand, you begin watching the movie immediately (although you can just stop it and start it again if you want to.. but why?), and then have 48 hours to watch it as many times as you like.

I really can't see Comcast enamored at the prospect of where this is headed. I would assume Time Warner would have a similar service, and they wouldn't like it too much either.

Back