Wii or 360?

I have both the 360 and Wii and for the first time since ever, my 6yr old daughter played and actually had a blast playing a video game. She loves Wii sports and how easy it was for her to pick up on how to use the controller. For that I really think Nintendo has succeeded in opening up gaming to almost everyone.

For myself, after playing GoW for the past week, playing the Wii was a bit of a graphical shock, but after a while I did not notice as much. I really need to pick up the component cables though.....

Zelda rocks and I absolutely love how the Wii remotes were put to use. Much much much better than the old system IMHO. Awesome game.

Raving Rabbits also is a lot of fun and put the new remotes to good use. Had the wife howling out load in a few mini's.

Only issue I have had so far is getting connected to the internet. I could not get the Wii to talk to my wireless router with security on and when I took security off, the Nintendo servers timed out on me. I guess the servers were getting hit pretty hard.

Overall, I love the little system. My girls love it and the wife loves it as well. Which could not be said for the 360 as she hates controllers with lots of buttons. She is also a bit ticked off that Mario World and Castlevania were not on the Virtual Console list yet.

wii strikes me as nothing more than one of those fisher price kids video games with some sort of novelty feature(in wiis case the controller) that gets old real quick.

looking at its linup so far i dont think anyone can disagree.

i was such a big fan of nintendo 64, rly disappointing to see how low nintendo has dropped. they have gone from pushing the envelope with new technology and games development to releasing a fisher price system for little kids.

i think this console is going to turn out to be nothing more than a novelty gimmick

if they want a toy get the wii, if they want a video games console get the 360.

It's me or you really sound like a broken record.

Both of 'em do, but that's sort of beside the point isn't it? :-|

Not really as if they are enjoying games on the PC that are FPSed, then chances are that the 360 will have more titles that interest them.. And besides you know you and jr really want to play some GOW on co-op! :)

Not really as if they are enjoying games on the PC that are FPSed, then chances are that the 360 will have more titles that interest them..
Pffft, you can't play FPS on a console! That's why the kids have gaming PCs.

This isn't supposed to be a replacement for their PCs, just something fun for them to play with in the living room.

And besides you know you and jr really want to play some GOW on co-op! :)
If they put out a PC version we will. :)

They want a Wii, it's what we're getting them. My son came up with a fantastic solution; get a Wii for my daughter on her BD on 12/17 and then get him a 360 for Xmas.... :rolleyes:

Pffft, you can't play FPS on a console!

Yes you can. I am nearing 40 and I was felt the very same as you did. Until I played about 1/2 dozen FPS on the 360. Now while I still may suck I can play FPSs on a console. Its just takes time to learn is all. If I can do it, ANYONE can :)

They want a Wii, it's what we're getting them. My son came up with a fantastic solution; get a Wii for my daughter on her BD on 12/17 and then get him a 360 for Xmas.... :rolleyes:

That's actually not a bad idea except for the $$ factor. I am sure you folks will enjoy your Wii, now its off to see if I can get through another level of GoW!

I was teasing about the age thing, it's just a personal preference of mine.

I have a hard time using any other form of input for a FPS after using a mouse/keyboard combo for it, the mouse/keyboard just fits it too well for me.

I've really never seen nor heard of a console shooter I want to play, I just hate the thought of aiming with a gamepad.

I don't mean to be elitist or snobbish or nothing, it's just my preference.

i read some post pretending some console are toys and some consoles are not..

what do "the people who claim their console is not a toy" with it ? datamining ? accounting ?

consoles are basically toys. the fact they are expensive, have state of the art graphics, secondary purpose like dvd playback don't change this.

don't be so ashamed to play with toys despite being too old that you go into denial mode.
assume yourself !

Last edited by a moderator:
what's the point you're trying to make, if there is any ?
I think he's trying to point out that kids the age of my children tend to be very destructive of expensive electronic kit, which isn't really true.

They're a bit too indifferent to it's care at times, but they're pretty good at knowing what not to break. Again I'll point to the fact that both have had their own computer for quite a few years now and neither of them have ever maliciously broke theirs. :)

i would say the gamecube design was well suited to children.
its handle, top loading of games, its lightness.. well suited to be laid it on the floor, where it can't fall.
i know of some GC being used by kids, incl. mine, and no problem so far with breaking.

Mine weren't so gentle on ours, they ended up busting the lid pretty much off and making the little switch that makes the GC know the lid is closed not work anymore making the GC unplayable.

I fixed it, albeit a bit ugly, which caught a few laughs here a while ago...I think that's why he mentioned it. He wasn't being nasty. :)

The fix:

Gamecubefix.jpg

NOTHING will close the Geo/digi rep gap, and that's one achievement I don't mind not being able to do.

G is a class act through and through, he deserves every rep point he's got and gets.

Back