Wii or 360?

Nah, I'll just probably get a Wii. You're all right, the kids want it so it really is the only way for me to go.

The 360 is better, but not for them yet. By the time they're ready for something like that there will be better/cheaper ones.

Wii for me, I guess I was just second guessing myself. :oops:
Call me crazy, but Crackdown seems like a game pre-teens will love. Not that it's targeted at kids like Viva Pinata. All the right ingrediants are present for just a fun time.
I agree with both of these posts. I actually think no matter what you buy, you and the kids will be happy. For myself, I'm torn at paying $250 for the Wii--it feels about $50 too high. However, if I had stumbled across one today, I would have bought it...

Oh come on. Are you to manly to say that both are just toys?

wii strikes me as nothing more than one of those fisher price kids video games with some sort of novelty feature(in wiis case the controller) that gets old real quick.

looking at its linup so far i dont think anyone can disagree.

wii strikes me as nothing more than one of those fisher price kids video games with some sort of novelty feature(in wiis case the controller) that gets old real quick.

If you look at it compared to the 360/PS3 mebbe yes, but I just watched my kids having a blast for about 4 hours together this afternoon on their Gamecube playing on our big TV and that kind of makes me want to disagree with you.

It's line-up so far might not be so hot, but it will improve and I think with a quickness....not to mention they could have a lot of fun just using the Wii with their old games. I think just seeing how the new controllers work with old games could be fun for them.

Wii it is, thinking of a 360 was just thinking of fighting with my wife in the living room again....me and her actually used to have quite a bit of fun like that before the kids and she's pretty good at it, at least we're a good match-up.

Any good fighting games for the Wii? (Not Super Smash Bros style, but Virtual Fighter/Tekken style)

Oh, and thank you to everyone for the replies/input/advice whether I agree with it or not. It's most appreciated and is helping me learn a lot more about the two systems. Thanks. :)

Lol.

So what was the PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube? Same graphics (Wii a bit better) but Nintendo included a new controller. Funny, Sony thought the Wii such a toy that they copied the controller.

I can disagree, look at Zelda, its a very adult game in many respects. Sadly, its not the GTA violence that makes Xbox 360 and PS3 not a toy.

Final nail in the coffin for me, my brother got one today and posted up at EB about how he and his daughter liked it (his daughter is 6, just like mine):

I got one this morning but I haven't really gotten a chance to form a valid opinion of it yet. My initial impression is that the position sensors are going to be kinda like the analog joysticks, once folks get used to them there going to ultimately find a place in every console’s control scheme.

Gemma loves it, especially boxing. She'll grab the controls and pound the little fisher-price dudes to a bloody pulp. She also likes the bowling and it is a trip watching her lean, dance, and perform the usual magic gestures required to keep the ball from rolling into the gutters once she releases it.

I’m a little more critical of the sports offering, I would love boxing if the controls mimicked my hands, but they don’t and it pisses me off. Bowling is a lot fun and tennis somewhere in between.

The plan was to spend the whole day goofing with the thing, but so far I’ve only played Zelda for ten minutes. I did get to do some math homework, buy a Christmas tree, and go to a birthday party at chuck e. cheese; so the day wasn’t a total loss. Still, I’ll be happy to put the kid to bed in a couple of hours. :D Very Happy

MY DAUGHTER: Yeah, but it's a kid's brain.
(Sorry, I had to include his sig too. It's an actual conversation 'tween him and his daughter and it always makes me smile)

Reactions: Sis
Lol.

So what was the PS2, Xbox, or Gamecube? Same graphics (Wii a bit better) but Nintendo included a new controller. Funny, Sony thought the Wii such a toy that they copied the controller.

I can disagree, look at Zelda, its a very adult game in many respects. Sadly, its not the GTA violence that makes Xbox 360 and PS3 not a toy.

those 3 systems were released in 2000/2001. this is almost 2007. u can play the exact same zelda on GC so thats a moot point, almost every orignial title released is a collection of dumb mini games with the complexity of legos.

those 3 systems were released in 2000/2001. this is almost 2007. u can play the exact same zelda on GC so thats a moot point, almost every orignial title released is a collection of dumb mini games with the complexity of legos.

Zelda, Exite Truck, Red Steel, COD3, Tony Hawk, and Marvel all do not fall under that umbrella. Not original, but what the heck is these days? Even new series are just the same old gameplay with new graphics or a new story.

Zelda, Exite Truck, Red Steel, COD3, Tony Hawk, and Marvel all do not fall under that umbrella. Not original, but what the heck is these days? Even new series are just the same old gameplay with new graphics or a new story.

I think you picked the wrong games to prove your point. You don't need a Wii to play Zelda and I'm not even convinced the experience sufficiently better to warrant getting the console. The rest are either original, but lame or are done better in other consoles. A game like Trauma Center might have been a better example. Even though it's on the DS, it's controls seem lo lend itself better to the Wii. Anyway, like pretty much any launch, there's nothing that stands out enough to make it worth getting it at launch. If Zelda had been a Wii exclusive maybe.

I think you picked the wrong games to prove your point. You don't need a Wii to play Zelda and I'm not even convinced the experience sufficiently better to warrant getting the console. The rest are either original, but lame or are done better in other consoles. A game like Trauma Center might have been a better example. Even though it's on the DS, it's controls seem lo lend itself better to the Wii. Anyway, like pretty much any launch, there's nothing that stands out enough to make it worth getting it at launch. If Zelda had been a Wii exclusive maybe.

Does it matter? Trauma Center would have dismissed as a mini game, and I'd personally argue that you can give up visuals for better controls (COD3 for example) and a new experience (Tony Hawk for example) and many others. The reason why I choose those titles was to prove the point that Wii will get ports of many of the same games the other consoles will. They certainly wont have the same graphics, but they'll have a unique (and which it'll be called a gimick) control scheme that the others do not have.

Oh yeah, BLEACH IS COMING FOR THE WII!!!! :D

Thanks, that was another clincher for me. My son is a huuuuuge Bleach fan, almost as big a fan of it as I am. ;)

Methinks me and him will have some fun seeing who is the superior shinigami. :cool:

agreed all wii ports are generally the worst of the bunch. most reviewers seem to agree as well. excite truck is an insult to gamers everywhere.

I think that a 360 would be funner because of arcade games, viva pinata, and normal controls. If they have a gamecube then it's obviously the 360 cause there's not much other then Zelda for Wii for a little while.

Does it matter? Trauma Center would have dismissed as a mini game, and I'd personally argue that you can give up visuals for better controls (COD3 for example) and a new experience (Tony Hawk for example) and many others. The reason why I choose those titles was to prove the point that Wii will get ports of many of the same games the other consoles will. They certainly wont have the same graphics, but they'll have a unique (and which it'll be called a gimick) control scheme that the others do not have.

Have you actually tried the Wii? I have and i was utterly dissapointed by the controlscheme. If it required me to actually do things right, you know like in real life, i would have liked it, but it doesnt.

Take tennis and golfing for example, i played on the age restricted national tennis teams back in the day, so i know my way around a tennis racket. I also got a handicap of 8 in golf, so im pretty decent at that. How am i gonna play some tennis game on the wii? Well, as i would play tennis in real life, that the whole point right? If you watch the commercials anywas..

Turns out, if i do this, all my normal forehand\backhand shots are registered as lobs. (Because a proper tennis shot with a little forespin to it, is a circular, upwards motion). Golf, same thing, my swings get registered as something comepletely different than reality (puts are okay tho).

I was really exited about the controlls and how they will add another "dimension" to gaming, because i felt that the controls allways could be upgraded upon, but after playing about 2 hours of Red Steel, i end up with the feeling that this is just a gimmick. Aiming in itself isnt a problem, but turning around and doing certain stuff like f. eks zooming (trusting the wiimote forward) is just bad. Very bad. The aiming certainly doesnt have any edge over what i can do with dual analogs on the X360, or with a PC\Mouse setup.

The main thing i was exited about was swordfighting games with the wiimote. Sadly both Zelda and Red Steel have failed at delivering a good experience with this. In Zelda the swords moves hardly represent my movements, same goes for Red Steel, only its even worse, you cannot trust, everything is just scripted moves, it doesnt matter if im a master swordfighter in real life and know how to handle a katana (not that i do), you get the exact same effect sitting on the couch, flicking your wrist in the general slashing motion as you would from standing up and actually taking swings. In Zelda, im actually confident that i would be more happy with the GC version, the "enchanced" controlling scheme certainly isnt worth the money that you have to pay for a Wii, compared to what i would have to pay for a used GC + Zelda.

So for now, in my opinion, the control scheme is gimmicky, poorly executed, and is only fun for the first 1-2 hours, its probably fun when your drunk and got 3 more friends over, but when im drunk im usually not sitting at home playing video games anyway. However, i can see why kids like it, and nintendo will allways be, imo, the best console for kids. Cheap, lots of minigames and the new controller makes the learning curve virtually non existant compared to learning how to handle dual analogs. Is the Wii anygood for fairly serious gamer like me? No not a chance. There are far to few of thouse great games that really want me to have a nintendo system, and if i add in the fact that SDTV signals look like complete and utter crap on my HDTV, i reckon that i will never own this system myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a tough time getting grips on Zelda's controls. But I'm getting better. It's really sort of strange to be kinda holding two halves of a normal controller in each hand. Makes me wish I was ambidexterous (i am actually mixed handed but not that good lol). The motion sensing is neat, but there's just a lot to juggle in your mind when you want to attack, get out the lantern, run away, etc. It's like a new dimension. You have the normal buttons/stick, and then there's also the movement of your wrists.

But I really do think the console offers a unique experience that is just totally unique. No doubt about it at all. I can't wait to see what games can do with it in the future.

The fishing mingame really lit up my mind. Awesome potential with that remote.

I think that a 360 would be funner because of arcade games, viva pinata, and normal controls. If they have a gamecube then it's obviously the 360 cause there's not much other then Zelda for Wii for a little while.

That and as his kids age, the Wii may loose some of its appeal as the titles on the xbox360 may look more fun. Then media features of the 360, ect. Plus Digi, don't you already have one of your kids playing FPS on the PC? I think Digi wants the Wii only becaus he knows Jr would own him in GOW death match :p

Back