Wii or 360?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm now vacilating on if I should get the kids a Wii or a 360. I know they WANT the Wii more, but from all I've been reading so far it's sounding like a 360 would be a much better investment with our 42" plasma. :???:

Any thoughts on this? I know the 360 costs more, but it's not a lot more and their bargain games would make up for it some. Also, does the 360 have much in the way of kids (7-10) titles?

Depends what games you want to play, they will have completely different game libraries, I'd look at the upcoming games for the next year and decide which appeals the most to you, if it's just for the kids Wii is probably the obvious choice....plus you can play Zelda.

360 has a handful of kids games, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Banjo Threeie next time some year I think, and the usual ports like Lego star wars, Cars etc.

To me the Wii seems the better console if your kids play together fairly often.

The 360 is the choice to go if they play seperately more often.

The console is for you or your kids?
If it is (primary) for your kids then get the Wii that they like more (and do the investiment later if you still want it, save some bucks and get a better (power usage, noise, production problems...) 65nm version of it).
If it is (primary) for you you need to make your own choice.

I just played a Wii today, for about an hour (Wii Sports and Rayman Raving Rabbids). From what I've played, it's pretty fun. It's really easy to get into the dancing game in Rayman. And it's all hilarious (at least for that first 30 mins or so). It's hard to say. If I were getting is SOLELY for the kids, I'd pick the Wii since the only games I'd probably pick up for them on 360 would be Viva Pinata and perhaps Kameo (which is quite fun, even for me... though I've heard the same about Viva Pinata as well). I'm not sure what other kid-friendly games there are on the system....

... besides Gears of War. :p

Wii60 way out of the budget? Heh.

Nintendo consoles are generally more family-friendly, and you can pick stuff like Mario Party (GameCube) for a bargain (if you have Cube controllers).

I think picking up a Wii now (with Xmas incoming :) ) and getting a 360 after a price drop would be a good strategy.

get both. If you can grab an Xbox360 during the Amazon special on the 23rd its only going to cost you an extra $100 ;)

i'm actually expecting their site to crash though when it goes live.

Nah, I'll just probably get a Wii. You're all right, the kids want it so it really is the only way for me to go.

The 360 is better, but not for them yet. By the time they're ready for something like that there will be better/cheaper ones.

Wii for me, I guess I was just second guessing myself. :oops:

Call me crazy, but Crackdown seems like a game pre-teens will love. Not that it's targeted at kids like Viva Pinata. All the right ingrediants are present for just a fun time.

You're a cop that gets superhero like strength so you can leap building to building and lift cars and throw them. You get upgrades for wild exotic looking cars. The graphics are meant to look like a graphic novel. To me Crackdown has some of the most amazing looking video game graphics I've seen in a long time. It looks like a video game, which to me is fun. It's not attempting to be ultra-realistic.

You can run around in the citry and do whatever you want, because it's a sandbox style game.

I have no idea what system is a better choice, but I wanted to share my opinion of Crackdown.

After I've seen what the little rascals did to the GCN I'd say the Wii is the safer option. :devilish:
That was their second GC too, we don't talk about the first one anymore....
bleh2.gif

I'd say Wii, except for the "swinging the Wii-mote to play games" thing.
That'll be why I would recommend it! What better way for them to stay active and spend all that matobilism than to swing the Wii-mote around. I know it's not an expressed option, but it's the same reason I'd recommend a PS2/3 - the Eyetoy games plus others like Buzz, which are interactive beyond the usual controller.

Just my NZD$0.05 worth.;)

I'm now vacilating on if I should get the kids a Wii or a 360. I know they WANT the Wii more, but from all I've been reading so far it's sounding like a 360 would be a much better investment with our 42" plasma. :???:

Any thoughts on this? I know the 360 costs more, but it's not a lot more and their bargain games would make up for it some. Also, does the 360 have much in the way of kids (7-10) titles?

I'm roughly in the same boat. My kids have XBox now, but I'm thinking between 360 and Wii. It seems like the Wii will be much stronger in the family friendly arena. They play their games on a SD 32" TV so it's not like we need HD video at this point.

My gut feel is they'll have more fun with Wii and it also makes it easier to stay away from the M rated games that make the 360 so good looking.

Digi
Will not your GC games collection run faster/better on the Wii?

Buy Wii for the Kids now
Upgrade the HTPC for you (play Doom3 in your plasma on total darkness)
And buy the PS3 in the future :smile2:

For kids?

I'd say Wii, except for the "swinging the Wii-mote to play games" thing.

Yeah seriously, anyone know how easy is it to sabotage someone's game by pushing them or their arm at opportune times. I can see this causing fights and with something already nicknamed after a weapon in hand, injuries.

Yeah seriously, anyone know how easy is it to sabotage someone's game by pushing them or their arm at opportune times. I can see this causing fights and with something already nicknamed after a weapon in hand, injuries.

That doesnt already happen? If a kid is going to do that what was stopping them from hitting the other persons hand off the controller before? Nothing was.

Back