Xbox Live Fall update (360)

Just as I ship my XTS to my parents the coolest update ever comes out. Sunday is a long ways away for me. :(

posted from my phone. so forgive me of the formatting is screwy

Better voice quality. At last.

Oh, and auto-arcade downloads. Lovely.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to bother emulating. Game Studio Express will build both X360 and x86 targets. I've been playing with the beta for awhile.
Sorry didn't mean emulating XNA, I meant emulators (MAME, SNES etc.) with a wide codebase already out there, its a nice project to get to grip with .NET and XNA. Somebody will port, provide a download to the code, download XNA and GameStudio and boom for $99 (for the XNA club) Mame360 is away...

[maven];863348 said:
That's using .NET (and the .NET DirectX bindings, though), isn't it?
Its .NET CE (version on phones and pocket PC) with the XNA bindings (which aren't just managed DX).

Beta 2 thats out in a few weeks (for PC) will have the content pipeline which will import X and FBX meshes which is should prove how useful this is for non hobby coding...

Post from the devs: http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/arch...ember-06-fall-update-is-heading-your-way.aspx

I know we are going to get a lot of feedback on the codec support we provided with this release. Let me save everyone the trouble….we know that WMV is not the only video format out there….we know that people want more choices…. and we know folks will want other codecs like H.264 / Mpeg4 / Divx / etc. Our approach from launch day last year is that we listen to constructive feedback and while I can’t promise anything for the future, I can promise that we will listen and will improve our system software over time. Some things are just not doable because of legal or licensing issues, but where possible we really try to drive new digital entertainment experiences for your lifestyle. Additional codec support is already something we’re thinking of for the future.

Edit - here's an interview with Xbox Live Operations. Since it isn't really in depth, I figured I post it here...

http://console.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIwOCwxLCxoY29uc29sZQ

[H] Console recently visited the lovely state of Washington for an exclusive tour of the Xbox Live Operations Center. This will be the first time since the Xbox 360 has launched that anyone has had a look behind the scenes at Microsoft’s Xbox Live Operations Center (XOC).

Last edited by a moderator:
my um...eh.....um....."Pirates" HDWMV disc plays just fine.

Shows "Mixed Media" on the CD tray, switch over to the Media Blade, select Video and then "Current Disc" and it shows the two stream files. They play just fine.

Tom Crews

:cool: i heard there are 2 versions of this movie .. ? is it any good if yo know what i mean wink wink

They have already stated that they will allow sharing and possible even selling of XNA... (and have mentioned that there next console would ideally be open...) but the first bit is to allow developers to run the code on the console... so thats obviously released first.

And anyway expect emulators etc. to be available a few days afterwards! Even if you have to compile it yourself (its all free downloads, except the $99 club membership to run it on the 360)

Console Homebrew just became legit :)

Ahem... ahem... PlayStation 2 Linux and Net Yaroze made it legit long ago :D.

Shows "Mixed Media" on the CD tray, switch over to the Media Blade, select Video and then "Current Disc" and it shows the two stream files. They play just fine.

Tom Crews
Great idea, i tried, but it doesn't work: i think it's a DRM problem, because the intro file ("splash.wmv") works great.

I've tried streaming several WMV files through media connect. Some work, some don't. Some don't even show up ... not exactly what I hoped for so far, but I guess its better than nothing at all.

Tom Crews
I just popped in my Coral Reef Adventure WMVHD disc. Shows mixed media like you said and you have to manually play the videos. However, it does not play the feature videos (either resolution), only the demo vids (gives an unsupported video error). I think I know why it won't play too. The feature video has built-in video controls or relies on separate files on the disc that it can't access on the 360. Oh well.

1080p looks absolutely orgasmic on my display. Jaggies have just magically disappeared in a lot of games (or been significantly reduced). This update was worth it for that alone. :)

I just got through playing a 720p WMV of The Fifth Element and it looks incredible. The 360 plays it even better than my PC. Also tried other WMV files and they've all played perfectly. So far no complaints.

holy crap

streaming videos from my PC absolutely rocks! :D

gears of War HD gameplay vids etc look good as well as others...
even watched a Motorstorm trailer, looks pretty good

Back