Fight Night PS3 Screens

This is the aliasing on Ali's belt:

aaal2.jpg

Can anyone guess how much (if any) AA is being used here?

dont put all "AA" in the same bag

or HDR for that matter

FP16 HDR isn't all HDR, are there more FP16 techniques that are radically different from one another?

Of course Nvidia can do AA+HDR, even early on with stuff like the rthdrbl demo, and newer stuff too.

as Shifty mentioned above... the two fighters (PS3/360) are NOT in the same space.

The lighting of one appears to be a softer lit practice ring while the 360 one looks like a darkened overhead lit arena.

Lighting is the most obvious difference here. I think the devs made a mistake going for the over the top lighting in the 360 version and tweaked it for the PS3 version... thankfully.

360 cant do FP16 so 360 FNR3 use's lower quality FP10 mode. And i really dout that PS3 FNR3 is using Interger HDR so it would be using FP16 which is higher quality HDR then what the 360 version has.

Any problems please explain :)
http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php?p=04
The ROP's can handle several different formats, including a special FP10 mode. FP10 is a floating point precision mode in the format of 10-10-10-2 (bits for Red, Green, Blue, Alpha). The 10 bit colour storage has a 3 bit exponent and 7 bit mantissa, with an available range of -32.0 to 32.0. Whilst this mode does have some limitations it can offer HDR effects but at the same cost in performance and size as standard 32-bit (8-8-8-8) integer formats which will probably result in this format being used quite frequently on XBOX 360 titles. Other formats such as INT16 and FP16 are also available, but they obviously have space implications.

i hate HDR. not because of the way it looks, but because it's become a buzzword that most people have no real idea what it means. to compicate matters, there is this concept that there is somehow "real HDR" and "fake HDR". all HDR means is "High Definition Range". it means you are using color depth higher than int8 (32bit). i don't think there's a single person who can look at an image, or even something running in realtime and identify the HDR format used in rendering. in the scope of realtime rendering you always need to take your HDR image and change it into a format that can be displayed. so you could render an image using 128bits per component and mess everything up in the conversion and make it look worse than int4.

all HDR means is "High Definition Range". it means you are using color depth higher than int8 (32bit).
As a slight correction, HDR means 'a greater than 0.0-1.0 range', or in other words, brightness isn't represented as a range from 'none' to 'maximum'. That can be obtained in custom brightness models on floats or integers, and the depth of the format determines the quality in regards to brightness banding. It is possible hypothetically to get 8 bit RGBA HDR but you'll have obvious banding so that no-one would bother.

As a slight correction, HDR means 'a greater than 0.0-1.0 range', or in other words, brightness isn't represented as a range from 'none' to 'maximum'. That can be obtained in custom brightness models on floats or integers, and the depth of the format determines the quality in regards to brightness banding. It is possible hypothetically to get 8 bit RGBA HDR but you'll have obvious banding so that no-one would bother.

Shifty can you guess how much if any AA is being applied on the screens above?

It was confirmed (I think by nAo or ERP) that there's no blending support for FP16 so for all intents and purposes you're only going to see FP10 used.
can't do it, and can only do it with severe limitations are still 2 entirely different things. clever developers can find uses for all sorts of things, no matter how limited they appear to be.

probably. how close do the two HDR's look?

Who cares about that? Its not one particular thing that matters. Its the overal looks that matters and in this case HDR or not the PS3 looks more realistic in these particular screenshots and this is undeniable. But I dont know if these images are touched or dont represent the real deal. If the in game gameplay shots look like that then I d go for the PS3 version when it comes to looks

Who cares about that? Its not one particular thing that matters. Its the overal looks that matters and in this case HDR or not the PS3 looks more realistic in these particular screenshots and this is undeniable. But I dont know if these images are touched or dont represent the real deal. If the in game gameplay shots look like that then I d go for the PS3 version when it comes to looks
I know. I know. I will personally wait until videos before commenting again.

It depends on the camera's exposure settings... and of course on personal taste :)

True, and HDR is very much an art form.

That said, if anyone has been to a real boxing match they will see that the boxers fight under very large, bright lights. It is very hot and very bright up on the canvas.

Ok.. This is a first post so Ill make it fully explainable.

This is in regards to those who are using these screenshots as a basis of viable and visible proof that PS3 is more powerful in visuals than Xbox 360. Both here and other websites.

I am a novice student and hobbyist in graphics design and graphics in general so I may be low in technical knowledge but I know the industry good enough

1) At E3, Sony announced it had sent development kits to various developers. Those kits were basically from what alot of sources a Cell 2.4 Ghz with a 6800 SLI. So developers have had the PPE and SPE's to play with and develop for since atleast May of 2005 and they have had the graphics technology which reach atleast 70-80% of RSX's potential as we all know here at 6800 SLI gave quite a good result. Also at E3 2005, Fight Night for Playstation 3 as a technical demo was shown. We have to realise that it only happens (and I hope to confirm this with developers) when the game is being developed currently or is about to be developed very soon that a technical demo which was coded on a playstation 3.

2) I hear it from a lot of people these days in alot of forums that Sony sent out the final development kits of Playstation 3 just a few weeks ago. That is both right and wrong. Why? because Sony itself said through Phil Harrison at E3 that developers have the final Cell and RSX in thier development kits while the FINAL development kits which were shipped just a few weeks ago will have the Blu-ray added on (which means the previous kits had dvds in them instead of Blurays). So it is a false assumption to say that developers got the final kits (when it comes to game development) just a few weeks ago when it is only true, that the FINAL Cell and FINAL RSX were in the hands of developers according to Sony and alot of developers especially at the GDC conference by E3 and just before E3. So developers have been playing with the final RSX and final CELL since E3, that is about 5 months ago. If you take into consideration the situation with Xbox 360, the final Xenon and Xenos were delivered to developers by August, thats just 3 months before launch. At E3, thats 7 months before Xbox 360 launch, developers were developing on an Apple G5 with an ATI X800/X850 (not Crossfire). If you look at it in a third person's perspective and you cant find a flaw in this argument, that Playstation developers have had technology which closely resembles the coding and power of Playstation 3 since E3 to a much greater extent than Xbox 360 which had alot less power in thier development kits just before Launch at E3 2005.

3) I have seen alot of statements in a number of websites in the last 1-2 days concerning these screenshots that the developers have said that this is due to long development times and greater power of the playstation 3. Notice the wording has a dangerous effect of misinformation. The exact question which was asked towards the developer was "Are the enhancements in the graphics due to the power of the ps3 or long development times". The answer given to this question was " It is both.....Both Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are powerful tools which gives us the potential for these graphics". It should be noted that nowhere in the whole article is there a mention of greater power of the PS3 in terms of graphical output. All the developer said was that these graphical enhancements are due to the power in the PS3 (which is never said to be equal or greater than 360 in terms of graphics) and longer development times. So to just say that when the developer says that its due to the power of PS3, it means PS3 , graphically, is more powerful than the playstation 3.

full.getty-71650043lm005_holyfield_1_44_41_am.jpg

over-the-top-lighting my ass.
The 360's is still WAYYYY over the top. I was going to point out that the PS3's actually looks like it might be a little too muted now, as you certainly CAN get bright reflections from those powerful-ass ring lights, but the 360 models reflect wildly all OVER the place, while the picture you post--shinier than most RL shots we've seen so far--tags perhaps ONE spot on a fighter well and otherwise has bright-but-in-no-way-AS-bright-as-the-360's highlights on tops-of-heads and -muscles and such.

The pic you posted still resembles the guy on the left better than the guy on the right. I have never yet seen a boxing match where the pugelists look washed out or seem bathed in a heavenly glow. ;)

1uf3.jpg

We don't yet have a good feel for it overall, or how it looks in motion, though.

A nice post, but...

This is in regards to those who are using these screenshots as a basis of viable and visible proof that PS3 is more powerful in visuals than Xbox 360. Both here and other websites.

Do you ACTUALLY see anyone in here making the statement you decided to unload on?

The 360's is still WAYYYY over the top. I was going to point out that the PS3's actually looks like it might be a little too muted now, as you certainly CAN get bright reflections from those powerful-ass ring lights, but the 360 models reflect wildly all OVER the place, while the picture you post--shinier than most RL shots we've seen so far--tags perhaps ONE spot on a fighter well and otherwise has bright-but-in-no-way-AS-bright-as-the-360's highlights on tops-of-heads and -muscles and such.

The pic you posted still resembles the guy on the left better than the guy on the right. I have never yet seen a boxing match where the pugelists look washed out or seem bathed in a heavenly glow. ;)

1uf3.jpg

We don't yet have a good feel for it overall, or how it looks in motion, though.

its all about "perspective":

Person 1 in Xbox 360 on left:
807_0010.jpg

Person 1 in PS3:
ea-sports-fight-night-round-3-20060901065538374.jpg

Person 2 in Xbox 360:
1136483889-2.jpg

Person 2 in PS3:
ea-sports-fight-night-round-3-20060901065536140.jpg

Ill reserve judgement of how big of a graphical upgrade it is until a clearer shade is shown of fighters. Why? there is some slight "gaussian blur" effect on the fighter's bodies in the new screenshots. I will wait until they release clearer screenshots.

Back