Is the PS3 on track to deliver full specs?

Well, that's to be expected honestly... and I'm sure I'm being both praised and flamed in equal measure. ;)

I knew I was putting myself out in 'lightening rod' territory with this, especially actually confirming Charlie's garbage, but I mean - his voice can simply not be allowed to set the tone, and I'm not under NDA, so...

People have to understand both that a downgrade is indeed possible *and* that it won't mean too much to PS3 in the end. To read the Inq you'd think the system is done for.

I mean...

What other spec change has there been? The answer: none.

I can understand downgrading the core speed but memory …doesn't make me extremely happy.

Give me good ole mm2 anytime!
Only problem there is the unevenness of density. Then again, mm2 is a better metric for production volume and yields.

and XB people are already quoting your post on several forums
Oh for crying out loud... that means more idiots are going to take it out of context and start trying to put together pieces from the wrong puzzles and make a new MILR out of themselves. I feel a strong need to take a human neck and crush it at the moment.

What ? Careful now, putting your statements together, you'll make it sound like RSX has eDRAM.
Whoa! You're right! I think we've just confirmed that RSX has more eDRAM than Xenos! Wait a second... what?

Last edited by a moderator:
And consider G71 is just under 200 mm2 chip. Its approaching the low yield region. Though I remember Kutaragi saying that RSX like Cell, is going to have some part disable for yield reasons.
We're talking about a $600 console after all. Sony isn't selling it for that much money because they think it's the sweet spot for consumer adoption, they just can't afford to offer it for less right now. Decisions they make on hardware now will affect how quickly they can rein that in and get the price down to where it will be adopted by the mainstream.

Maybe the sudden silentness of the newer devkits was due to some hardware change that let them drop the heat envelope they were previously engineering for. From what we know even a downgraded Cell + RSX is still likely to be the best in the class hardware for most things this generation.

Well, XBD has been a wee bit more forthcoming elsewhere, if you know where to look. :smile: And if you read between the lines, it seems pretty solid at this point in time.

But then anybody who's been around the "gpu core speed" block a few times, knows that the fat lady has never truly sung until the finished product is in the retail box on the way to the consumer. . .

Oh for crying out loud... that means more idiots are going to take it out of context and start trying to put together pieces from the wrong puzzles and make a new MILR out of themselves. I feel a strong need to take a human neck and crush it at the moment.

To the casual readers, Cpi/ShootMM fields a lot of RSX questions back at PSINext... and this never ending up and down with RSX has not left him a happy man. :p
(Archy and MILR, I know you guys read here - relent!)

@Geo: You know I'm going to pay a price for that comment, don't you? :oops: ;)

From what we know even a downgraded Cell + RSX is still likely to be the best in the class hardware for most things this generation.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far. But I don't see this being a big deal, power has never played a major role in market penetration.

My question is this: Have there been any architectual revisions to the RSX that might afford Sony to down-clock for heat/voltage reasons but sustain the same amount of throughput (programmable Gflops)?

Man, this is getting ridiculous.
Sony, just give us the final spec's just to shut up the fan crowd and move along.

After all, i'm not buying a console for the hardware spec's, i'm buying it for the quality and quantity of the games.

Despite all the "media this", "HD that", it is still just a GAME console first and foremost.
That's all i care about, really.

Man, this is getting ridiculous.
Sony, just give us the final spec's just to shut up the fan crowd and move along.

After all, i'm not buying a console for the hardware spec's, i'm buying it for the quality and quantity of the games.

Despite all the "media this", "HD that", it is still just a GAME console first and foremost.
That's all i care about, really.

I wouldn't be surprised if they never released final specs. Their E3 2005 specs already did the PR job of making them look more powerful. Why would they hurt their image by stating they've downgraded? I think they'll takie a Nintendo approach as not letting the specs do the talking but let the games speak for themselves.

Well I don't now about that. What do you call the 20gb model with no HDMI, no wifi etc?

Hmmm... well, I won't count that, but I will grant you the I/O tidbits that have changed between the E3 2005 announced 'premium' and the present premium.

I guess I didn't think to think about those since they're so petty, but I see the angle there.

Though in that time, the hard drive has become standard as well, which is a big big plus.

Though in that time, the hard drive has become standard as well, which is a big big plus.

Agreed, in my mind it makes up for all those things, and then some. But, I can see what he might be alluding to if they reported something about the dual-sku 's or missing features before it was actually announced(don't know if they did I don't follow the Inq at all). Probably would've got hundreds of "you're an idiot" emails.

It's as over for Sony as it was for MS when they downgraded Xenon from 3.5 GHZ to 3.2.

Sky is falling, totally. Recovery is not only improbable, but impossible.

The good news is that enthusiasts, having thrown themselves from the roof of the tallest building they can find, seem to have an unlimited recuperative power to climb back up for the next time, not appreciably worse for the wear. :D

Heh, the world would implode if these were the same person
As someone that's been to DCs wedding, I can assure you they aren't.
That said, online "journalism" hits a new low everytime a new Inq. "article" is posted.

The old block diagram for Xenon did say "3.5+ GHz" And people more or less assumed that Xenon would always have a 3.5 GHz chip until E3 '05 rolled around.

Conversely, there never really was any real spec for PS3 that said the Cell within would be anything other than 3.2 GHz. There were the ISSCC reports that said Cell itself would scale up to 4.6 and beyond, but nothing about PS3 for obvious reasons. E3 '05 was the first time we heard anything as far as PS3 specs, and the 3.2 GHz number came out then.

Xenon3_5GHZ.jpg

This is just a cursory glance. You can look further if you wish. I also seem to recall when they announced it would "only" be 3.2, and the ensuing criticisms.

Oh, and hey! That is 6x!!! the MHZ downgrade! Game over, man, gave over!

Back