Is the PS3 on track to deliver full specs?

can somebody do the the calculation for : flop, shader ops, fillrate, bandwith, etc for the rsx at 500mhz with 650mhz Ram ;)
edit miss calculation

There is already a 256bit bus, afaik. It's just that only half of that goes to GDDR3. The other half ...

And surely if we were to get a memory upgrade, we'd get it on the XDR2 side? 256mb of video RAM is plenty if you can also use the XDR2 (the other half of the bus ... ), but 256mb of system memory, say, if you were doing some nice Linux stuff, etc. - would be fine, but 512mb would be finer. It would certainly add more, imho, especially since, well, imho, the Cell and RSX both have decent access to the XDR2 memory so there's more room to benefit from it.

But maybe I'm not quite understanding the architecture just yet. It's just that certain developers have hinted at this being the way things work in the PS3.

AFAIK Cell is connected to XDR with 128 bit bus,RSX to vram via 128 bit bus also and Cell to RSX via flexio.
I remeber a dev saying that RSX doen't have a 256 bit bus but it could use both 128 bit busses but not with the result of using a 256 bit bus.

To add more fuel to the fire can anyone comment on this quote from a developer (cpiasminc on PSINEXT aka shootmymonkey on Beyond3d):

And RSX still has a way higher transistor count than Xenos, eDRAM included.

To add more fuel to the fire can anyone comment on this quote from a developer (cpiasminc on PSINEXT aka shootmymonkey on Beyond3d):

Aaaaaah, now THAT sounds like the basis for a reason to lower the frequency (the why was driving me nuts)... also, Xenos has over 300m transistors right? Does that mean RSX isn't the vanilla 7600-7900 we thought it was??

That strikes me as unlikely, but first define "way higher"? :LOL:

G71 is 278M (3d Tables). Xenos + Daughter Die is, if I remember correctly, in the neighborhood of 335M.

Surely they did some "stuff" to G71, but enough to add 57M plus "way higher"?

G71 is 278M (3d Tables). Xenos + Daughter Die is, if I remember correctly, in the neighborhood of 335M.

Plus, was it confirmed they were 'ripping out' the Purevideo stuff? (~30M transistors)

My guess would be that either RSX is G80 based or it's a dual GPU akin to the 7900 GX2 or 7950 GX2.

That seriously doesn't seem likely. There's no way we're getting double the RAM, and having to feed 2 GPUs with an already limited bandwidth of the current configuration is just a massive bottleneck waiting to happen. Also, I think G80 is too far off for any sort of use. Where's smm, I'd love he could clear this up.

That seriously doesn't seem likely. There's no way we're getting double the RAM, and having to feed 2 GPUs with an already limited bandwidth of the current configuration is just a massive bottleneck waiting to happen. Also, I think G80 is too far off for any sort of use. Where's smm, I'd love he could clear this up.

They could've put another bank of RAM in there. Hey, something has to explain the memory downgrade.;)

And consider G71 is just under 200 mm2 chip. Its approaching the low yield region. Though I remember Kutaragi saying that RSX like Cell, is going to have some part disable for yield reasons.

Another possibility is that RSX is base on G70 rather than G71. So the tuning and the trimming NV did to G71 from G70, is not done to RSX. This is a possibility considering PS3 was going to launch last Spring initially. And like Cell, its possible that RSX is already in production sometime ago.

What I said was that the official figures have little to do with the real transistor count and RSX is way more loaded on the "uncounted" transistors -- the original thread was part of this whole speculation on "mystery transistors" because of the difference between RSX and a regular G71. IIRC, it was also in response to some really outlandish guess on someone else's part (I don't even remember or care to check what it was).

GPUs tend to have a many times more conservative "stated" transistor count than most other components -- a figure of ~300 million is rarely anywhere near the real figure ;). Also, officially, I think a few extra functional parts of RSX are officially not counted because they're not graphical. If Xenos' eDRAM were not a separate die, there's a good chance its transistors wouldn't be counted at all because it's just one of those things.

And you just crushed MILR hopes.
He gets a little insane. The moment he rediscovered that post, he went on this screaming rampage of "OMG!!! We have absolute confirmation now that RSX has an additional 20 million transistors! No wait... 35 million! Yes, that's right, we have indisputable proof that RSX has an additional 60 million transistors. I think we've proven that these additional 110 million transistors will make RSX totally rock."

The guy gives me a headache.

He gets a little insane. The moment he rediscovered that post, he went on this screaming rampage of "OMG!!! We have absolute confirmation now that RSX has an additional 20 million transistors! No wait... 35 million! Yes, that's right, we have indisputable proof that RSX has an additional 60 million transistors. I think we've proven that these additional 110 million transistors will make RSX totally rock."

The guy gives me a headache.

I can understand that .

and XB people are already quoting your post on several forums :LOL:
i'ám looking forward to your cell article BTW

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, officially, I think a few extra functional parts of RSX are officially not counted because they're not graphical.

Such as ?

If Xenos' eDRAM were not a separate die, there's a good chance its transistors wouldn't be counted at all because it's just one of those things.

What ? Careful now, putting your statements together, you'll make it sound like RSX has eDRAM. :)

I think it has more to do with ATI's bizarre method of counting of transistored than anything else. Intel, AMD, IBM, nVidia, etc., all seem to count eDRAM, I/O stuff, even probably the transistors meant for testing purposes in the transistor count.

I can understand that .

and XB people are already quoting your post on several forums :LOL:

Well, that's to be expected honestly... and I'm sure I'm being both praised and flamed in equal measure. ;)

I knew I was putting myself out in 'lightening rod' territory with this, especially actually confirming Charlie's garbage, but I mean - his voice can simply not be allowed to set the tone, and I'm not under NDA, so...

People have to understand both that a downgrade is indeed possible *and* that it won't mean too much to PS3 in the end. To read the Inq you'd think the system is done for.

I mean...

...As a help to the fanbois who inevitably write in somewhat curious broken englishish every time their precious console gets re-specced in a downward manner...

What other spec change has there been? The answer: none.

Back