Good reason to get PS3, and to skip media PC as playback device of HD movies.

Guden Oden

Legend
Dunno which forum this is really appropriate for, but I try this one. A mod can always move it if they feel the relevance is not strong enough.

Dailytech reports that MS has decided to block BR and HDDVD playback altogether under 32-bit copies of Vista, citing copy protection concerns from studios, and the number of kernel-level malware programs that could enable circumventing said protections.

As we all know (?), 64-bit Vista installs will refuse to accept any kernel-level program code without a MS-approved digital signature, a signature programmers have to pay through the nose to obtain by the way, so I guess many feel just like me that Billy Goat can just go screw himself with his blatant moneygrubbing schemes, and think sony's stand-alone PS3 is just what the doctor ordered! :D

For some reason, studios seem 1000% more paranoid about HD movie piracy than they ever were about DVD piracy. I hear DVD sales were quite brisk. What exactly are they so terrified of that they're going to go to such ridiculous measures to make sure no one can play their movies except under exacting specifications?

Dunno which forum this is really appropriate for, but I try this one. A mod can always move it if they feel the relevance is not strong enough.

Dailytech reports that MS has decided to block BR and HDDVD playback altogether under 32-bit copies of Vista, citing copy protection concerns from studios, and the number of kernel-level malware programs that could enable circumventing said protections.

As we all know (?), 64-bit Vista installs will refuse to accept any kernel-level program code without a MS-approved digital signature, a signature programmers have to pay through the nose to obtain by the way, so I guess many feel just like me that Billy Goat can just go screw himself with his blatant moneygrubbing schemes, and think sony's stand-alone PS3 is just what the doctor ordered! :D

I don't quite get why you're comparing ps3 > pc ...:???:

Is it that you feel the movie playback software on pc will be expensive because it will have to be certified by MS in their 64bit os? If so you're right, It's a good thing we have the ultra cheap ps3 to play our movies. Or maybe its the drm that will be embedded in Vista - again thank goodness for ps3! ...or am I missing something?

Amen brother. More power to Kaz Hirai in his eternal quest to give away his 4D-120fps-1080p goodness to humankind, allowing us to install kernel-mode code while watching BR AND HD-DVD movies on his open, developer-friendly, protein folding goddess of an upgradable PC called the Playstation 3.

Holy cow does this stuff spread fast. I'm expecting that this information is wrong, but supposing it's not, I'll just stick with running it on my XP box?

By "PC" do you mean a Windows PC? Because that's not the be all and end all of PC's. I may even think the competition would love to provide a non-corporate certified solution, given their nature ;)

Or maybe its the drm that will be embedded in Vista - again thank goodness for ps3! ...or am I missing something?
It's because A: creating artificial rules to slowly limit the freedom of having control ourselves over our PCs is just plain scummy, and a slippery slope that can only end with more control and less freedom as time goes by,

And B: because it would mean I'd have to buy an entirely new PC to be able to watch BR movies on it. That would mean a substantial cost just to get to where I am right now.

I'm sure most people also sit with 32-bit processors that are nothing but tools of piracy, instead of microsoft's and the movie studios' preferred gestapo big brother-secure 64-bit environment...

Besides, microsoft is reaching ever wider year after year in control over new markets. They're not just a software company these days, it's hardware too, consoles, music players are coming... They'll probably buy a movie company or record label or two too within not too long.

It's because A: creating artificial rules to slowly limit the freedom of having control ourselves over our PCs is just plain scummy, and a slippery slope that can only end with more control and less freedom as time goes by,

And B: because it would mean I'd have to buy an entirely new PC to be able to watch BR movies on it. That would mean a substantial cost just to get to where I am right now.

I'm sure most people also sit with 32-bit processors that are nothing but tools of piracy, instead of microsoft's and the movie studios' preferred gestapo big brother-secure 64-bit environment...

Besides, microsoft is reaching ever wider year after year in control over new markets. They're not just a software company these days, it's hardware too, consoles, music players are coming... They'll probably buy a movie company or record label or two too within not too long.

I could understand your position if you were comparing them to a company with a truly open policy, but Sony is anything but and have continued along the path of enforcing more drm and more proprietary formats that are more expensive than their rivals and offer no tangible benefits.

I don't quite get your rooting for Sony in this regard and against Ms when it seems they are both pretty much in the same camp on this issue.:???:

For some reason, studios seem 1000% more paranoid about HD movie piracy than they ever were about DVD piracy. I hear DVD sales were quite brisk. What exactly are they so terrified of that they're going to go to such ridiculous measures to make sure no one can play their movies except under exacting specifications?

These new formats can provide video almost indistingishable from the original master.

Just curious, but how can they "block" someone else from writing drivers and programs to allow us to play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives on 32bit Vista?

Just curious, but how can they "block" someone else from writing drivers and programs to allow us to play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray drives on 32bit Vista?

They can't. People will write them illegally but it will only be an underground phenomenon. For the mainstream there will be no official product, there can't be.

Quite frankly I find these draconian copy-protection measures appalling from anyone involved with AACS. It's all about who holds the ultimate DRM standard, copy protection initiatives not only seek to protect future revenue but are themselves a source of income.

Too much greed in the movie business and music business. Sony Pictures and Sony BMG are a testament to that with their internal crippling of Sony CE and to an extent SCEI for many years, although you can understand where they are coming from.

If only these companies would spend as much time on developing new ways of legally delivering their content as they do on of aiding and abetting methods which further impede consumer rights, the future might be far less frightening.

This sounds too stupid to be true. I say chances are slim to none of this actually becoming reality. I guess since I'm running an A64 I should be cool anyways right?

I don't quite get your rooting for Sony in this regard and against Ms when it seems they are both pretty much in the same camp on this issue.:???:

Don't you mean "rootkiting" for Sony, given what has happened last time Sony tried their hand on DRM ? :p

It's not Microsoft that is forcing DRM, it's the studios. Microsoft just wan't the most pervasive media playing OS out there. And to achieve that you have to be able to actually play DRM infected media, so MS is forced into supporting it.

Cheers

So I guess you just felt it was honky dory when you inserted that music CD from Sony BGM and got rootkittet ?

Having had to deal with vira infections on just about every member of my family's computers (and some even multiple times) in the past 5 years I'm really looking forward to this. One thing is malware in user-space, another when it's in the core of the OS.

Cheers

You raise a good question, but you know... There's no control, no DRM, no rootkits or proprietary formats in the PS3. It's just a big black lump that sits there and plays movies and does other stuff just by me turning on the power switch (and feeding it a disc). Just the way it's supposed to be.

Like I said, 64-bit vista won't accept kernel-level drivers without a digital signature, and you can bet there's some kind of low-level hook in some API somewhere that detects an optical drive is a HDDVD or BR drive and blocks access to audio/video tracks unless the appropriate digital signature is found - which won't be present, unless the hacker making their own 3rd party movieplayer wants to spend a couple thousand millennia brute-forcing microsoft's encryption keys...

Guden Oden said:

Well they're already halfway there... There's the joint-venture cable news channel (MSNBC), and they own a nice little piece of Comcast...

avaya said:
Too much greed in the movie business and music business. Sony Pictures and Sony BMG are a testament to that with their internal crippling of Sony CE and to an extent SCEI for many years, although you can understand where they are coming from.

I always find this myth amusing, I'm not so sure why it persists so... Sony BMG has pretty much zero ability to do anything to Sony Electronics. It's not even a part of Sony Corp. In fact Bertelsmann AG owns more of Sony BMG than Sony does (so technically the "Sony Rootkit" should really be called the "BMG Rootkit"). As for Sony Pictures, while they're a part of Sony Corp, Sony Electronics brings in the lion's share (approx. 70%) of all revenues, and any internal spat (not that I'm aware of any) would tilt in favor of Sony Electronics (not to mention SPE has to answer to Tokyo (who favors SEL anyways)). Besides, SPE is a bunch of whores... They're the last studio of any who will prevent content from being on anything. They're always releasing their content on pretty much anything they can hammer out a deal with.

You raise a good question, but you know... There's no control, no DRM, no rootkits or proprietary formats in the PS3. It's just a big black lump that sits there and plays movies and does other stuff just by me turning on the power switch (and feeding it a disc). Just the way it's supposed to be.

most people that want a media center PC are going to buy a new system anyway, more then likely it will have a 64 bit cpu, be bundled with sometype of HD player, and software that is needed to play them; and to them it will just work the same way you describe the PS3

Like I said, 64-bit vista won't accept kernel-level drivers without a digital signature, and you can bet there's some kind of low-level hook in some API somewhere that detects an optical drive is a HDDVD or BR drive and blocks access to audio/video tracks unless the appropriate digital signature is found - which won't be present, unless the hacker making their own 3rd party movieplayer wants to spend a couple thousand millennia brute-forcing microsoft's encryption keys...

this is microsoft protection you are talking about, it will probably be a hack for it by the time it comes out, or some free solution

What exactly does MS have to gain by making the cost of entry greater for their mainstream connected PC-360 strategy?

I dont think many feel like you. I think anyone who saw the value in a media center PC or playing BR or HD-DVD on a PC (as i assume you were as you present the PS3 as your alternative) wont be stopped by this and were probably going to run 64 bit anyway. I think this does hurt the casual user who one day says "oh really, i can watch an HD-DVD on my 360 from my PC?" This sort of casual uptake was probably something MS was hoping for, which makes the "greed" angle even less believeable.

My guess is that theyll have to make the labeled "Media Center" versions all 64 bit. Other flavors may also have limited media center functionality but i think theyll need a way to make the 64bit versions stand out as fully "media center" compliant.

This sounds too stupid to be true. I say chances are slim to none of this actually becoming reality. I guess since I'm running an A64 I should be cool anyways right?
After you install Windows Vista x64 edition,
  • Some of your favorite 32bit apps may not work.
  • Unless a hardware manufacturer provides a 64bit driver, your old hardware peripheral such as a digital camera and a scanner don't work.
  • Unless the manufacturers of your hardware such as GPU/motherboard/etc. don't provide 64bit drivers, they don't work optimally and get slower than working under 32bit Windows.

BTW, what will happen to Managed Copy if it's true? If 32bit OSs are not allowed to play any incarnations of BD/HD DVD the whole home network picture with HTPC and Xbox 360 is limited to Windows Vista x64 Edition.

Back