Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, 1.2 TF is looking likely - contrary to all the people clamouring about the 3+TF GPUs in the kits.

I was wondering, do we know anything about the amount of eDRAM? I can't seem to remember if we had any solid rumours about it. (Besides the >32MB that was in the leaked roadmap).

Can anyone find a plausible rumour mentioning the amount of eDRAM?

So, 1.2 TF is looking likely - contrary to all the people clamouring about the 3+TF GPUs in the kits.

I was wondering, do we know anything about the amount of eDRAM? I can't seem to remember if we had any solid rumours about it. (Besides the >32MB that was in the leaked roadmap).

Can anyone find a plausible rumour mentioning the amount of eDRAM?

We don't know anything about the kits. They could have something similar to a 3tflop to simulate in game results if Microsoft expects these assists to do a significant job of assisting the GPU in the retail unit.

And we have no numbers on the EDRAM, or if its even EDRAM at all and not ESRAM.

He posted this on the assembler forums 10 hours ago:

That and revealing all the specs don't mesh.

Yeah something fishy about all this. Also I'm getting rather suspicious of the complete one-sidedness of "insiders" that have info on and hyping up Durango but no one doing the same for Orbis.

Think I'll wait for the official reveals. Shouldn't be too long now.

Why come to a speculation thread to announce you won't speculate? :p

We have some pretty consistent things so far, its like the Wii U's rumors atleast a year before its launch. Sure things are subject to change in the retail unit for durango, but we've got some solid intel here atleast from bkillian.

A 1.2 tflop GPU with assists for the GPU, an 8 Jaguar core CPU, 8 gigs of ram with EDRAM or ESRAM...only thing i'm kind of concerned about is the main memory bandwidth for the ram. Hopefully they went with DDR4, it'll be cheap eventually from what i know.

I'm also assuming that DDR4 will be faster out of the gate than the most feasible DDR3 solution they could implement?

Doesn't seem like DDR4 is on the table for now.

Hmm...no DDR4. Than DDR3....is 2.5D stacking an option at all?

I'm just wondering what kind of good set up bandwidth wise that they could get for DDR3 in that case. I guess it was too much to ask concerning DDR4 anyway, considering DDR4 is still in the very early stages.

We don't know anything about the kits. They could have something similar to a 3tflop to simulate in game results if Microsoft expects these assists to do a significant job of assisting the GPU in the retail unit.

And we have no numbers on the EDRAM, or if its even EDRAM at all and not ESRAM.

Yes we do, what's the 1.2 TF referring to? Final shipping FLOPS?... I don't think so.

And all the 'secret sauce makes it equivalent to a 3TF GPU' claims are wild exaggerations of rumours that have simply said the SoC has extra blocks to help with various things (like an audio DSP).

Yeah something fishy about all this. Also I'm getting rather suspicious of the complete one-sidedness of "insiders" that have info on and hyping up Durango but no one doing the same for Orbis.

Think I'll wait for the official reveals. Shouldn't be too long now.

Well, durango supposedly hit beta kits recently, which have final hardware. thus presumably the flood of recent info.

that and our western bias perhaps, being on an english speaking forum.

the rumors are beta ps4 kits dont hit until "summer". despite all indications both consoles will release in late 2013. so yeah, maybe you will hear more then (well e3 is before then, so...expect a lot of fake really great looking cgi videos ala 2005 from sony j/k)

orbis really does seem oddly more of a mystery by my "sources" tho (other than the common, straightforward vgleaks specs out there for a while). i am not sure if this is because they cant talk, or there's simply less to talk about. the former would seem impossible, so i suppose the latter. my guess is orbis kits are just more unfinished, early, perhaps fewer of them, etc.

MEMORY:

2 GByte UMA, pushing for 4 GByte
192 GByte/ sec non-coherent access for e.g. GPU
12 GByte/ sec coherent access for CPU
EXTRA HARDWARE:

video encoder/ decoder
audio processing unit, ~200 concurrent MP3 streams
HW zlib decompressor

Were these always on VGLEAKS for Orbis?

Yes we do, what's the 1.2 TF referring to? Final shipping FLOPS?... I don't think so.

And all the 'secret sauce makes it equivalent to a 3TF GPU' claims are wild exaggerations of rumours that have simply said the SoC has extra blocks to help with various things (like an audio DSP).

Uh you do realize that we are speculating about actual components of Durango here right? Of the retail console? Not dev kit units? Which are just glorified PC's to test real world conditions in games and start production in time for launch?

What we know is that the 'main gpu' is 1.2 tflops. That doesn't take into account the real world conditions afforded to it by this "secret sauce" or whatever it is.

Uh you do realize that we are speculating about actual components of Durango here right? Of the retail console? Not dev kit units? Which are just glorified PC's to test real world conditions in games and start production in time for launch?

Oh really?... no, I've been participating in this thread for how long? But I didn't know that, thanks for telling me....

What we know is that the 'main gpu' is 1.2 tflops. That doesn't take into account the real world conditions afforded to it by this "secret sauce" or whatever it is.

If you read my posts, your'd realise that my point is that i'm disputing your claim that we don't know anything about the kits.

You seem to think that the 1.2 TF refers to the final GPU, I think it refers to the kits (and so, do not agree that the kits have a 3TF GPU in them)

Then i must have misinterpreted you. But if you think that a 1.2tflop GPU is in the kits, then what are your thoughts on the retail unit? Or rather, what does that impact on the retail unit i guess.

I'm curious at to your thought process on this one

Not saying I don't believe these rumors, but I really have to wonder if there is some misinformation on here on purpose.

You know what I am saying? Like both companies are putting out false information against each other on purpose and they can do this because they can say that they are just rumors.

They know we will lap this up like a cat that laps up milk and they know we will run with it while we get played like pawns.

Makes me really wonder about this stuff.

He posted this on the assembler forums 10 hours ago:

That and revealing all the specs don't mesh.
It definitely mesh perfectly with the wild theory that he's working for a marketing firm, his job is to build up hype, he's waiting for the green light from the execs, and will say exactly what he's supposed to "leak". And that we won't get much of the details we want, including the "special sauce". But hey, maybe I'm wrong and he's really a big spy and is risking his professional life for the betterment of mankind.

If he knows something, why not just tweet the f**** specs? What's the deal with a google hangout, and building up hype for 10 hours straight?

^ Why do you call it "special sauce"? The official name is "secret sauce" :p

Also, why didnt he do it a long time ago if he did have an actual kit a long time ago? Why attempt to sell it knowing that Microsoft Ninjas would shut him down?

I dunno, his page just seems too lewd and ridiculous to be apart of Microsoft's hype train calculations.

Just a lot of things that don't connect in any which way

Then i must have misinterpreted you. But if you think that a 1.2tflop GPU is in the kits, then what are your thoughts on the retail unit? Or rather, what does that impact on the retail unit i guess.

I'm curious at to your thought process on this one

It might be 1.2 TF for final as well, they might overclock it though.

If these specs are for the beta kit, then adding more CUs and stuff would probably mean a schedule slip into 2014 - so that's unlikely

It seems to me that they're sticking to their original plan of 6-8x the power of the 360.

Not saying I don't believe these rumors, but I really have to wonder if there is some misinformation on here on purpose.

You know what I am saying? Like both companies are putting out false information against each other on purpose and they can do this because they can say that they are just rumors.

It's unlikely given we have multiple sources pointing to the same conclusion.

And why would MS pretend Durango is weak by leaking a low TF number, knowing it will disappoint their fans?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back