Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was passed along to me that Xbox 3's current main GPU has 12 CUs and is clocked at 800 Mhz. Take that as you will.

if thats true than sony's ps4 would have a more powerful GPU. I stick to my prediction that sony would end up having "as always" the better hardware, hopefully this time around it is a lot easier to program for.

Next gen ? I just hope that the electronics will last. My LG, Acer, Samsung stuff all died within 2 months to 2 years. Come on, make sure the build quality is rock solid guys. You should have ample experiences by now.

sorry for being late to the party eventhough I begin reading this interesting thread since a long time ago, anyway this is my prediction (I will play it safe this time lol and return after with a more innovative predictions ) :

for the next xbox :

Microsoft this time will play it safe, not very expensive hardware, but very efficient, the console will be FULLY backward compatibe with every xbox360 and xboxlive games and applications + new kinect HD accessory that will be sold separately.

release date : december 2013
processor : a not very modified IBM power 7, 6 cores (dual threaded), 3.4 ghz
RAM : unified 3 GO of GDDR5 ram, 120 GO/s
GPU : VERY modified AMD 7000 series directx 11 GPU, with 2 teraflops processing power + 64 mo of edram at 600 go/s.
optical drive : blu ray, 6x
hard drive : it depends on the model, 500 GO, 750 GO or 1 TO.

Price : 499 $ without kinect HD, and 599 $ with kinect HD bundled.

For PS4 :

ps4 will be more powerful than next xbox, it will be released later on, almost 1.5 times more powerful. PS4 will be backwards compatible with all playstations before it (ps1, 2, 3) and all sony playstation network applications. Maybe some new accessory will sold deparately to fight kinect HD.

Release date : september-october 2014

processor : a VERY modified IBM power 8, 8 cores (quad threaded), 3.8 ghz, that could easily emulate the CELL.
RAM : unified 4 GO of GDDR5 ram, 160 GO/s
GPU : VERY modified AMD 8000 series directx 11 GPU, with 4 teraflops processing power but no edram.
16 GO of flash memory serving as a cash and also to install a difficult to hack upgradable operating system via internet.
optical drive : blu ray, 8x
hard drive : it depends on the model, 500 GO, 750 GO, 1 TO, or 2 TO.

Price : 499 $

that was my prediction on march 2012, I do believe at least I will get some things right after all (xbox next GPU power being 2 Teraflops, 64 Mb edram, blu ray drive, price), for ps4 at least I will get the RAM right : 4 Gb GDDR5 at 160 Gb/s, flash memory, and the price.

^ Why do you sound so sure of that? And i would not classify Cell as being "better" for the returns.

most developers agree that from an overall processing power point of view, the ps3 is absolutely more powerful than xbox360. But the xbox360 has a more efficient architecture and is a lot easier to program for.

if thats true than sony's ps4 would have a more powerful GPU. I stick to my prediction that sony would end up having "as always" the better hardware, hopefully this time around it is a lot easier to program for.

It just means Sony has 50% more CUs and 50% more flops. That tells us really really little about performance.

EDIT: Your predictions for the systems tell me everything I need to know about you. No offense.

These components are nice, but they're not miracle workers by any means.

Ok. Processing all info that I knew/have seen lately seemed to point that way.

A big question remaining is how much better is each of these GCN CUs compared to the ones in Southern Islands. 12 CU at 800 mhz fits in nicely with the 1.2 teraflops figures floating around on the web, and with my prediction that Orbis GPU has 50% more CUs.

PS4's 18CUs has been known since '11 though. I think it would be more bold to predict a number other than that. :p

Also, what do you mean "current"? It should be locked down by now.

I've always tried to word things that way to allow for possible tweaks, primarily clock speed.

Yeah, that list man....a 4tflop GPU for PS4 for 399 yet Durango has 499 and 599 respectively...

Okay, so 1.2 tflop gpu with "special sauce". I guess this confirms the sauce rumors swirling around provided BG is correct?

most developers agree that from an overall processing power point of view, the ps3 is absolutely more powerful than xbox360. But the xbox360 has a more efficient architecture and is a lot easier to program for.

Hmmmm....
Would you like to define "most developers", "most powerful" and "efficient" in that statement and how they ended up transferring into actual running games?

A 1.2 tflop GPU with assists for the GPU, an 8 Jaguar core CPU, 8 gigs of ram with EDRAM or ESRAM...only thing i'm kind of concerned about is the main memory bandwidth for the ram. Hopefully they went with DDR4, it'll be cheap eventually from what i know.

I'm also assuming that DDR4 will be faster out of the gate than the most feasible DDR3 solution they could implement?

Some math,

If we assume that each of the shader cores in Durango is as capable as a 360 ALU.

Durango has 768 shaders, 12 Compute Units x 64 shaders per compute unit according to BGAssassin. Xenos has 240 ALUs.

At the same clock speeds, Durango is 3.2 time xenos.

At 800mhz, Durango is 5.12 times Xenos.

240 gigaflop x 5.12 = 1228 gigaflop, or 1.23 teraflops. :cool:

I would not wait on that guy for information.

The more and more i heard about this 'secret sauce', the more i think about how the Cell helped the RSX in more ways than one with assisting in GPU processes to get much better results when coded for. Of course apparently in Durango, this supplemental hardware is used specifically for helping out with GPU processes.

Now we need to learn about what exactly these GPU assists are, that memory bandwidth and what the documentation is like in general and we might have a pretty decent unit here.

If we suppose that they have the same budget in terms of die area... how much SRAM could MS add if they basically saved the space of 6 CU compared to Sony?
I'm wondering if that could be enough space for a pure SRAM or 1T-SRAM/PSRAM frame buffer, right there on the die. That would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back