Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
This rumor sounds like baloney and/or doesn't match bg's specs...

the a10 isn't powerful enough, and the 8-16gb of ram doesn't match previous rumors.

well, presumably 8-16gb of RAM would mean a switch to gddr3, which would be a wholesale architecture change from prior gddr5 rumors.

it just smells like baloney to me. wonder if lherre can weigh in...

Neither is Jaguar, but its mentioned in many x720 rumors.

a10 is fine for cpu, but not enough gpu. and no discrete gpu is mentioned in the article.

Mostly about the GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6332/amd-trinity-a10-5800k-a8-5600k-review-part-1

CPU:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/amd-a10-5800k-a8-5600k-review-trinity-on-the-desktop-part-2

The Trinty Architecture http://www.anandtech.com/show/5831/amd-trinity-review-a10-4600m-a-new-hope

I guess it would be fair to expect some kind of custom design for a Console based on the A10?

Like, more cache, more Cores for the GPU and less Ghz for the CPU, all depending on how complex it would be to add. But considering that the final development hardware is expected to arrive in the summer 2013, it wouldn't be totally crazy.
And seeing how AMD seems to have caught up on many of their weakpoints more time to mature a A10 style solution can only be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
How the A10 compares to the "2 Xeon/AMD FX" from Xbox 720 rumors?

assuming the 2 Xeon has HT, then a 4 core "A-10" will beat ( by a little bit) it in threaded workloads and loose ( quite hard) in single/two threaded workloads. If dev's can distribute load across the 4 core then it will be fine.

Devkit leaks from both MS&Sony have talked about multi GPU or APU+GPU. Wonder what they are doing with the extra non discrete GPU

If Sony go with an A-10 apu, and assuming 4, maybe 6 gig of ram. Then taking into consideration everything else that needs to be included in a console, how much wiggle room would Sony have (wattage wise) to include a 2nd GPU, If we are talking a 200w console? Is it feasible to do at 200w?

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

smart choice. if true, this puts the idea of expensive graphic chip options out of the question as well, but that is to be expected taking into account that the high end chips have high heat and power consumption.

How powerfull is A10?

are you asking as a stand alone? here you go.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-a6-5400k,3224.html

pulling every single rumor together the "A10-5800K" is indeed the ps4. it comes with a southern islands based GPU, 384 shaders, 4 cores (3.8 ghz). 100 watts total of power.

according to VG247, memory for the dev kit is either 8 or 16 gbs, to console translations that's 4 or 8 gbs. (either 4 of really fast memory or 8 of decently fast memory.)

The trinity A10-5800k by it's self can pull off ps3 gaming at 1080p 60 fps with no problems. If it's paired off with an additional GPU it can do considerably more.

How the A10 compares to the "2 Xeon/AMD FX" from Xbox 720 rumors?

FX processors are AMD's enthusiast level chips (8 cores), while A series APUs combine mainstream CPU performance (2-4 cores) with a mainstream GPU (384 shaders). They're not comparable, but just for a rough idea a Llano apu was basically a Phenom (K10) quad core so a Trinity apu with its 2 piledriver modules should be like an FX 4100 or better since that was bulldozer.

The trinity A10-5800k by it's self can pull off ps3 gaming at 1080p 60 fps with no problems.

Yup, that was my thought too. As if Sony thought Wii U was the harbinger of the next gen, and this is what they'd need, competes well with Wii U.

That scenario is probably only 5% chance of being true, but it fits with only a 5800k.

The A10-5800K choice would mean the PS4 has followed the cheap route instead of the powerful one?. Dos this mean the leaked parts of Durango point to a more powerful system?

Yup, that was my thought too. As if Sony thought Wii U was the harbinger of the next gen, and this is what they'd need, competes well with Wii U.

That scenario is probably only 5% chance of being true, but it fits with only a 5800k.
Well,i don't really surprise if PS4 not as powerful as many people thought(powerhouse blahblahblah) or even worse than nextbox since Kaz already fired/keep firing/will fire many people after him become CEO and Wii U set the bar pretty low(Not hard to outperform Wii U,and mainstream gamer/developer don't really mind that,as long as it's not only GC->Wii level jump),his primary job is make Sony profitable again

The A10-5800K choice would mean the PS4 has followed the cheap route instead of the powerful one?.

no_and_noy-2htre5.gif

I will forever remain hopefull that Sony will continue with their high-end "Ferrari" approach to gaming hardware.

Cos the Vita is just flying off the shelves isn´t.

I doubt they will unfortunately but i also doubt they will be scraping the bottom of the barrel like nintendo.

assuming the 2 Xeon has HT, then a 4 core "A-10" will beat ( by a little bit) it in threaded workloads and loose ( quite hard) in single/two threaded workloads. If dev's can distribute load across the 4 core then it will be fine.

Wait...

A-10 will beat a eight core 16 threaded e7 series Xeon? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back