Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure this assertion is true in any sense (The XBOX360 even launched before the Wii, and I doubt it will win anyway at any time)

Ehh, I should say "in the hardcore console market". But anyway, 360 is doing quite well over Wii right now. ps3 and 360 combined (and theyre really the same console compared to the wii, differentiating them is somewhat arbitrary) ever more decisively as time passes. Which is where the "time" thing comes in...
More or less the PS360 (same, more powerful console) did in fact beat the Wii. Wii is dying incredibly fast because it lacks power, while the others are gaining strength the older they get. Though I'll argue Wii didnt play in the "hardcore" realm anyway. That's more a testament to the fact that apparently the hardcore market is bigger (certainly more dependable) than the casual one.

But look there is no arguing this, if a more powerful console comes along in time it will eclipse the others, and thats a fact like sun rising in the east. The ps2 came out because dreamcast forced it, same with the Snes because of the Genesis. It's a law. Look at every developer it seems now crying for a more powerful console to switch too (Epic, Ubisoft, etc.).

It's not clear to me yet that Wii2 will be "enough" more powerful to force PS3/360 successors though. If it's only a little bit, then they might be able to stick around if Sony and MS so desire anyway.

But look there is no arguing this, if a more powerful console comes along in time it will eclipse the others, and thats a fact like sun rising in the east. The ps2 came out because dreamcast forced it, same with the Snes because of the Genesis. It's a law.

Of course this can be argued, I do. And not only do I claim that you are not stating natural law, I'm even providing counterexamples. The Wii beats the 360 in spite of being weaker and being out later (!). The PS2 was never eclipsed by the XBOX, nor the DS of the PSP.

Look, I'm not saying that console power isn't a factor. Of course it is.
But it has been amply proven lately that it not the prime determinant in consumer choice.

Albert Einstein, when confronted by a reporter with a book titled "50 against Einstein" (individuals who argued against relativity), reputedly said - "One would have been enough."

Nintendo is embracing Sony's REMOTE PLAY funcionality.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html

6" screen with dual analogs that streams gameplay from Wii2. Great device for those that have limmited acess to their TV, or have good WiFi at their work/school.
This doesn´t make any sense. What would be the use of that setup? Plus that won`t benefit Nintendo for obvious reasons.

Most of them i consider stupid rumors but its interesting to see if the users can come up with interesting uses for these hypothetical set ups

Editione: Just read another update to the rumor. 512MB of RAM for a device released in 2012 (^o^)

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed the 6 inch screen rumor only makes sense as a peripheral not as something standard in the controller as it makes it overly large and unwieldy.

it says at least 512MB

It says the console will include a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if its coming 2012 it will be bumped up to 1GB

My guess is Nintendo went to AMD for a GPU design to integrate with the PowerPC design they wanted to use, but AMD wouldn't let them use their current tech unless they bought whole Fusion APUs for the system. Instead they licensed their older R700 series tech to Nintendo to do what they want.

Hum HD4770 rv740 came out first, those were the first 40nm parts from ATI, they went with a relatively tiny part first.

Hum HD4770 rv740 came out first, those were the first 40nm parts from ATI, they went with a relatively tiny part first.

But the bigger chips were still made on the older process. The 4770 came later because it basically made the salvage part 4830 cards already on the market obsolete.

Indeed the 6 inch screen rumor only makes sense as a peripheral not as something standard in the controller as it makes it overly large and unwieldy.
Well if the screen portion of the rumor its true it will be probably one screen packed per system and not one for each controller. That's the only way it makes sense.

Plus if is indeed touch screen Nintendo won't use a paralax barrier in it for 3D i guess.

We call that "pulling a Nintendo".
For a 2012 console? Not even Nintendo is that cheap.

I hope Wii 2 or whatever has enough fillrate to handle 1080p 60fps games better than the 360/PS3 which only had 4000 Mpixel/sec aka 4 Gpixels/sec. I hope it has at least16 ROPS and dare I say a 256-bit bus, that or 24 MB embedded RAM on the GPU die.

I hope the GPU is a RV770 on 28nm, that would be lovely.

I hope Wii 2 or whatever has enough fillrate to handle 1080p 60fps games better than the 360/PS3 which only had 4000 Mpixel/sec aka 4 Gpixels/sec. I hope it has at least16 ROPS and dare I say a 256-bit bus, that or 24 MB embedded RAM on the GPU die.

I hope the GPU is a RV770 on 28nm, that would be lovely.

lol, this is Nintendo we're talking about...

For that generation of GPUs (R700), the 4770 would seem as the best choice, being 40 nm, and at a very good size/capability/power consumption arena (and hopefully would necessitate employment of GDDR5!). For the sake of development though, I think 5770 would be the better choice, as it offers OpenCL 1.1 and OpenGL 4.1 to developers which would be immediately advantageous to developers. The cost saved from the slightly smaller and less transistor-ed 4770 would I think be nary in comparison to the advantages gained with an Evergreen part, API compatibility and all, plus just plain higher performance. TDP is about the same too.

The triple core IBM, R700 + 512 MB of memory is pretty much the 360 accept the Xenos was rumored as "R500". Sure, triple-core CPU is half-way plausible (for the sake of 360 commonality, though I would hope it's a newer PPC design), but that would be very short sighted of Nintendo as I would expect a quad core part from the get go. As for memory, 1 GB would be certainly workable, but 2 GB would be the ideal I think. Video memory needs could easily go beyond 512 MB (especially if we see true 1080p games). Once the AA and AF is kicked up, VRAM need will go rampant, and there is a reason why modern video cards from even 3 years ago were installed with a 1 GB framebuffer from the get go. The question is, do we have a split system of 1 GB system memory + 1 GB of VRAM system, or just pool it all together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back