WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this statement is all sorts of messed up.

the only thing "32bit" about the n64's cpu is it's external data bus. you can call it wahtever you like, but it's 64bit internaly.

"Call me what you want, you can call me 32bit i don't care, I know inside what i am, I'm 64 bit...Im 64 bit and proud!"

Sorry dude i had to do it.

Fair enough in reality it is classed as 32 bit, but i guess it is a 64 bit cpu with a toned down bus.

N64 was one of the best either way.

The Ubisoft guy said i'ts between the " Radeon X1400 and the Radeon X1600, and the CPU to between the AthlonXP 2400+ and the AthlonXP 3000+"

I was involved with the website that published that interview. The editor completely fabricated it and consistently lied to me about it in order to get hits, supposedly because an acquaintance at Factor5 promised her an interview if she got more than 10,000 unique hits. Although I suspect that may have been a lie, too.

There's a reason that website isn't online anymore.

I was involved with the website that published that interview. The editor completely fabricated it and consistently lied to me about it in order to get hits, supposedly because an acquaintance at Factor5 promised her an interview if she got more than 10,000 unique hits. Although I suspect that may have been a lie, too.

There's a reason that website isn't online anymore.

Wasn't that teasy? Or am I mistaken?

I think we make the calculation from the wrong direction.

Can be the wii graphics more advanced that the gc?
Yes.
had they the resorces and the time for it?
Yes.

Why they don't use it?

I think the answer is in the difierent design philosophy.

In the case of the ps3 the sony is started the system planning from the cpu+bd+gpu, in the case of the xb2 the system desing is started from the live+gpu+cpu, in the wii it is started from the controller+low cost+small form factor.
Due to this,in the case of ps3/xb2 the design is started with the definition of the graphic system, and the first tool that was received by the soft devs was the graphics tool.
In the case of the wii the first tool was the controller,and the last(probably just before the console relase,because it grant the best price/performance ratio) was the grahics subsystem.
The backward compatibility was important,possibly because when the release started they had only the gc tools.

And for me it mean that the graphic part of the wii will evolve dramaticly in the future,compared to the evolution of the ps3 or xb2.

I think we make the calculation from the wrong direction.

Can be the wii graphics more advanced that the gc?
Yes.
had they the resorces and the time for it?
Yes.

Why they don't use it?

I think the answer is in the difierent design philosophy.

In the case of the ps3 the sony is started the system planning from the cpu+bd+gpu, in the case of the xb2 the system desing is started from the live+gpu+cpu, in the wii it is started from the controller+low cost+small form factor.
Due to this,in the case of ps3/xb2 the design is started with the definition of the graphic system, and the first tool that was received by the soft devs was the graphics tool.
In the case of the wii the first tool was the controller,and the last(probably just before the console relase,because it grant the best price/performance ratio) was the grahics subsystem.
The backward compatibility was important,possibly because when the release started they had only the gc tools.

And for me it mean that the graphic part of the wii will evolve dramaticly in the future,compared to the evolution of the ps3 or xb2.

That's true. I heard hollywood was not added to Wii dev kits until late April and most 3rd parties got their final kits in June in after. One of the reason's why the Wii games coming out in march look way better is because they were made on kits actaulling using hollywood. Most games out for the Wii currently were made using flipper because they didn't have hollywood yet.

Some games will look better than the launch games, it is just the nature of games development, but i bet, Zelda will stand out for a long time, even if it is just a GC game at core.

Some games will look better than the launch games, it is just the nature of games development, but i bet, Zelda will stand out for a long time, even if it is just a GC game at core.

Yes,but why the zeldo was the noly one grahics oriented first party game at the start?
They will wait nearly one year before the wii graphic-oriented first party games.Why?(smg,metroid3)
The main part of the starting games is simply gc game,even worster than a standard gc game.You can not see the mark of the additinal speed+memory.

Yes,but why the zeldo was the noly one grahics oriented first party game at the start?
They will wait nearly one year before the wii graphic-oriented first party games.Why?(smg,metroid3)
The main part of the starting games is simply gc game,even worster than a standard gc game.You can not see the mark of the additinal speed+memory.

The reason Zelda looks good is because this is a ambitious Gc game started at a time where ambitious game mattered and this game push the GC.

I expect Metroid to look good because MP2 was pushing the GC, same for the Resident evil if they ue the RE4 engine. I'm not sure new teams will invest lots of time to push the hardware (unless Wii takes 70% marketshare like the DS).

The good thing with the Wii si that my GC library will not look dated.

All IMO

The reason Zelda looks good is because this is a ambitious Gc game started at a time where ambitious game mattered and this game push the GC.

I expect Metroid to look good because MP2 was pushing the GC, same for the Resident evil if they ue the RE4 engine. I'm not sure new teams will invest lots of time to push the hardware (unless Wii takes 70% marketshare like the DS).

The good thing with the Wii si that my GC library will not look dated.

All IMO

I think right now you can see the logic behind the N strategy.

If they are the market leader the "outdated" hardware will be able to bring comparable results to the not outdated,but 2nd and 3th positioned (by the market share)hardware.And as it seems the wii will do that trick.

Hey,the guy that planed the nintendo strategy was a genius.

I think right now you can see the logic behind the N strategy.

If they are the market leader the "outdated" hardware will be able to bring comparable results to the not outdated,but 2nd and 3th positioned (by the market share)hardware.And as it seems the wii will do that trick.

Hey,the guy that planed the nintendo strategy was a genius.

The Wii will sell more than PS3. PS3 will be third this generation. Wii should be second or first Xbox360 should be second or first.(too close to tell between Wii and 360)

The Wii will sell more than PS3. PS3 will be third this generation. Wii should be second or first Xbox360 should be second or first.(too close to tell between Wii and 360)
In North America may be, but worldwide Wii will be first by a long margin. In Europe Wii will be first by the end of this year.

No. That was definitely me. I clearly remember being me, the things that happened to me, and the people I know. Trust me, when it comes to the events of my life, I am probably the foremost authority in the world.
i won't take your word for it. please provide a link that says you know what's happened to you :p

i give you props, fearsome, for taking resonsability for what happened. most other people wouldn't have done that.

Hollywood is Flipper @243MHz due to smaller production process.
Wii as a whole is only a Gamcube +50% clockspeeds, with 64MB GDDR3 and higher storeage capacity.

119 pages have disputed this, friend. But you are probably close to the mark. Don't forget the 512 MB flash in there, too. That the edram is on-package with the GPU/chipset core brings potentially interesting ramifications too. But, we just do not know much of anything about the hardware, because N doesn't talk about hardware and the devs are under NDAs very obviously.

Hollywood is Flipper @243MHz due to smaller production process.
Wii as a whole is only a Gamcube +50% clockspeeds, with 64MB GDDR3 and higher storeage capacity.

Do you have any clue about process technology? I'm no expert but I know one thing, taking a 112mm^2 chip on a 180nm process (Flipper) and putting it on a 90nm process does not give you a 72mm^2 chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the 512 MB flash in there, too. That the edram is on-package with the GPU/chipset core brings potentially interesting ramifications too.

Or that the main memory bandwidth is at least 310% higher then GC's (4GB/s for the 1T-Sram and 4GB/s for the GDDR3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back