WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to know Gecko had better efficiency than a Coppermine cripple (aka Celeron). Really gets the warm fuzzies purring :p Remember when Xbox was supposed to ship with an Athlon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to know Gecko had better efficiency than a Coppermine cripple (aka Celeron). Really gets the warm fuzzies purring :p Remember when Xbox was supposed to ship with an Athlon?

Pretty sure it was a Duron, which at the time just about matched the Pentium 3's clock for clock, due to the monstrous L1 cache carried over from the Athlon.

Sure, but I don't think that's any substitute for XCPU's natural endowment...

Why, is XCPU so great a at something that cant be surpassed. What I am meaning is that Gekko isnt so less powerfull, in fact it even surpassed the XCPU in somethings, overall they are close. So if Broadway is faster and does have more inside, then it should be overall faster and specially if they dont waste its performance in things that should be done on the GPU games should show it.

What is the importance of what should/could be inside the XB in this thread? We know what XCPU can do and we know that Broadway is faster than that.

wait a minute...

That graphics chip on the Wii is that thing 512mb!

as you know SI tore apart the Wii:

SI is currently analyzing some of the components inside the Nintendo console, including the IBM Broadway processor; ATI Hollywood graphics processor; Broadcom BCM2042 wireless sensor with Bluetooth functionality, Broadcom BCM4318 Wi-Fi transceiver; Qimonda HYB18HS1232 GDDR3 graphics RAM; Samsung K9F4G08U0A 65-nm, 4-Gbit NAND flash; and Elpida S1616AGTA 16-Mbit SDRAM.
http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=194500278

they said Qimonda HYB18HS1232 is the graphics chip.
but I couldnt find it until I was led here to the Infineon site who owns Qimonda.
And actually it may not be S1232 it could be 51232 (512 as in mb)

All the part numbers with the number HYB18H51232 correspond to 512mb

http://www.infineon.com/cgi-bin/ifx...age=/ep/program/typelist.jsp&pageTypeId=17099

If true, doesnt this allow the Wii to do HD graphics?? Can anyone confirm?

512 megabits = 64 megabytes. This was well-known already. There will be no HD graphics coming from the Wii.

I gotcha, Mb vs MB, I missed that at this late hour. So is this supposed to be the 64MB 1t sram ? Or does the Wii have both?

No. The Wii has 64 MB of GDDR3 and 24 MB of 1T-SRAM. This is all public information since the Wii was first dismantled a couple weeks ago.

The Wii has 64 MB of GDDR3 and 24 MB of 1T-SRAM.
I assume this is to replace the limited "A-ram" in the original gamecube?

I was told by a technically savvier friend that in GC only the sound processor could access that memory directly and not the CPU or graphics chip. I would assume this isn't the case with wii?Otherwise, what would you do with that much memory..

Also the A-ram was quite slow was it not? Has this memory's speed been disclosed or otherwise figured out? When you say GDDR3, I'm thinking it has to be quite speedy just going by what I know from PC graphics (which admittedly is NOT everything..)

Peace.

The ARAM had like 80 MB/s bandwidth. But the ARAM definitely was usable by the GPU. The sound DSP is integrated into Flipper btw. The 64MB of GDDR3 is the new ARAM. While the GDDR3 on a 32-bit (or is it 64?) bus is pretty slow, it's sure a ton faster than that Cube ARAM.

BTW I think I'm reevaluating the value of 480p. It can look really good with that, but no doubt it also can look pretty bad at times cuz you see how low res some textures truly are and the darned aliasing can take over. I just beat up the beast in the snow mansion in Zelda and it looked like a Gouraud shaded textureless-but-pixel-shaded monstrosity and really looked surprisingly sharp. It looked superb honestly.

No. The Wii has 64 MB of GDDR3 and 24 MB of 1T-SRAM. This is all public information since the Wii was first dismantled a couple weeks ago.

I didnt realize everything was identified and confirmed. Wiki is still claiming:
88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM 64 MB "external" 1T-SRAM RAM)
As well as some other FAQs.
And Im suprised that MoSys stated that they were going to supply the "external" memory as well.

Why the switch? And whats the advantage by going with infineon and gddr3?

It's a G3 with a lots of upgrade : the 64 bit fpu can be used as 2 32 bits fpu, a better cache control, compression (2x to 4x). Also there is library for graphics use.
From a microarchitectural point of view it is not much different from the latest G3, the biggest differences with the previous ones being that the FPU pipe doesn't stall for a cycle when it's full and the memory subsystem is significantly improved, cache locking wasn't something specific to the Gekko. As for the SIMD instructions they are nice, but not earth-shattering.

BTW what you call 'compression' are just a few load/store instructions used for loading a pair of integers (8 or 16-bit) into the FP registers and converting them on the fly to FP (or storing a couple of floats as integers). They were added mostly because the standard PowerPC ISA (w/o AltiVec) doesn't have int-to-float conversion instructions. Int-to-float conversions had to be done in the integer registers, stored and read back to the floating point ones which is kinda slow. You can find more info about them here: http://pabut.homeip.net:8000/yagcd/chap3.html#sec3.4

Why, is XCPU so great a at something that cant be surpassed. What I am meaning is that Gekko isnt so less powerfull, in fact it even surpassed the XCPU in somethings, overall they are close. So if Broadway is faster and does have more inside, then it should be overall faster and specially if they dont waste its performance in things that should be done on the GPU games should show it.

Right, and what I meant was that 'silicon' is not spelled with an 'e'.

If you think it's worth getting hopeful/excited about a CPU with performance, at best, around a Athlon 800 or so I'd say. That might be an overestimation too.

now that Wii is released in every territory, I was hoping some completely anonymous developer could post the inner workings of both Hollywood & Broadway (and the entire Wii for that matter), as long as he does not risk his job at all, if that's possible. I would've thought there would be a leak by now.

hell I have a Wii, but im not cracking it open. and besides, I suppose I would need an electron microscope or something to look at Hollywood, if that's even the right tool, lol. probably not.

would it not suck if we NEVER found out the inner-workings of Hollywood ? I don't expect them from Nintendo, but from somewhere.... sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back