WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also mentioned only 64 MB of RAM. God, I hope Nintendo didn't downgrade any more...

Also,

Optical audio? Isn't that what's needed for DD 5.1?

He probably forgot the T1 ram wich the wii is rumored to have 24mb off. That would make 88mb together like the rumor specs say.

But how do they know the wii specs? if you ask me they just put in rumored specs into their article.

So Wii CAN do DD 5.1? If so, what is the problem, then?

Where did you see it supports DD 5.1 ? Everything i could find point to no DD 5.1 support for Wii.

The fact it has some form of digital audio output doesn't automatically imply it can do DD 5.1.
It has to be supported hardware wise and i think you have to pay some royalties..

Where did you see it supports DD 5.1 ? Everything i could find point to no DD 5.1 support for Wii.

The fact it has some form of digital audio output doesn't automatically imply it can do DD 5.1.
It has to be supported hardware wise and i think you have to pay some royalties..

I wasn't implying it could. I was wondering because you said:

you can do DD 5.1 on optical or coax

Looking past the bullshot levels of AA, it appears to me very similar to a GC game with slightly higher poly count and texture resolution. In other words, exactly what one would expect from Wii given the still-disputed "overclocked GC" specs. The launch games with their - at times - mid-range GC level of graphics should not be representative of what Wii can do, even if we choose to believe the most pessimistic hardware estimations.

Looking past the bullshot levels of AA, it appears to me very similar to a GC game with slightly higher poly count and texture resolution. In other words, exactly what one would expect from Wii given the still-disputed "overclocked GC" specs. The launch games with their - at times - mid-range GC level of graphics should not be representative of what Wii can do, even if we choose to believe the most pessimistic hardware estimations.
I don't know if a GC is capable of the quality of this background, however:
http://www.jeux-france.com/images15_4_18154.html

If you've seen the movies, the fire effects do look a fair clip beyond anything we saw the GC do. They definitely have the whole "indirect texturing" look to them, so speculation about a beefed-up TEV may certainly be right on the money.

not with the copper/aluminum heat spreader on you cant. Someone needs to risk some real damage and take a razor blade to it, pry it off to get a picture of the actual chip.

Aww man, I was building some excitement while watching the image count go to 15. Turns out I found nothing new by looking at the pictures... ::cry::

What about serial numbers? Can anyone get some info based off of those?

And it looks like they weren't able to make it fanless as they had hoped. You can see the fan at the back in direct line with the aluminum heat sink.

Last edited by a moderator:
CPU: Broadway

Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

GPU: Hollywood

• 243 MHz ATI card

Other:

• 64 MB GDDR3 RAM (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2058429,00.asp)
• 512 MB Internal Flash Memory
• 802.11g Wi-Fi
• Unknown amount of 1T-SRAM (24 MB?)

CPU: Broadway

Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

GPU: Hollywood

• 243 MHz ATI card

Other:

• 64 MB GDDR3 RAM (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2058429,00.asp)
• 512 MB Internal Flash Memory
• 802.11g Wi-Fi
• Unknown amount of 1T-SRAM (24 MB?)

Source?, link?, or just a guess made up facts and random rumours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back