WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you knocking EAD? Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin 2, Luigi's Mansion, and Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat all were some of the better Cube titles from a technological standpoing. Just because their games didn't have aliens, fanged monsters, and grizzled war veterans doesn't mean they didn't have any advanced lighting effects, water shaders, fur shaders, bump mapping, etc.

It came out wrong. I meant that EAD never really maxed out their consoles power like Rare, Factor 5 or even Capcom.

It came out wrong. I meant that EAD never really maxed out their consoles power like Rare, Factor 5 or even Capcom.

I beg to differ. Some of the games that made the best use of Gamecube's power came from EAD. In particular, Pikmin 2 and Mario Sunshine do as much as I've seen any Cube game save Rebel Strike do. And on N64, Wave Race, F-Zero X, and Star Fox were some of the slickest game on the system when they came out. Who wasn't impressed with Hyrule Field in OoT? As for Rare, I simply was not extremely impressed with their N64 work. Dropping your game down to single-digit framerates in order to have the best screenshots of anybody doesn't impress me in the slightest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg to differ. Some of the games that made the best use of Gamecube's power came from EAD. In particular, Pikmin 2 and Mario Sunshine do as much as I've seen any Cube game save Rebel Strike do. And on N64, Wave Race, F-Zero X, and Star Fox were some of the slickest game on the system when they came out. Who wasn't impressed with Hyrule Field in OoT? As for Rare, I simply was not extremely impressed with their N64 work. Dropping your game down to single-digit framerates in order to have the best screenshots of anybody doesn't impress me in the slightest.

Waverace 64 is downright miraculous IMO. Even limited interactive wave physics, done on what is basically a fast 486, is amazing. And it added immensely to the gameplay, which is what Nintendo constantly proves that they care about most.

Anybody out there who has a Wii: Someone care to dismantel and see what actually IS inside the unit?

People claim that the Wii is heavier than it looks, and yet still remains cool and quiet.

Anybody out there who has a Wii: Someone care to dismantel and see what actually IS inside the unit?

People claim that the Wii is heavier than it looks, and yet still remains cool and quiet.

That must mean it contains...
BIG IRON!

Well I have two of the little beasts on pre-order so I have an interest in what the capabilities are. I think people are underestimating what is in Wii now just like they were overestimating what was in it during Revolution time.

The fact that the stats have not leaked out as far as we know this close to launch suggests one of two things.

Either it truly is an overclocked Gamecube and Nintendo is hiding it to avoid being ridiculed for charging $250 for what is basically a Gamecube with better controllers.

Or they have something a lot better than what people are thinking is in it now and want to suprise everyone with both incredible gameplay and graphics better than hoped.

Under promise and then over deliver.

That to me makes more sense then any other scenario from a marketing perspective. Not 360/PS3 level stuff but not that far off to be embarrassing. If it truly was just an overclocked Gamecube like product then I would have told everyone about it months ago so that people would get it out of their systems about bitching about it.

From what I have seen of the latest screenshots and renders seems to place the Wii a notch below the other two, but still in the same generation.

Nihilist: I think that the Wii is definitely more powerful than they've let on.

For example, slowdown (so far) has come off as a non-issue... and a lot of the new games chirp along at 60fps. While looking better than most 'Cube fare.

The fact of the matter is that when the dust settles, this system will have games that make GameCube titles look highly dated. It's not the quantum leap that X360 is, but it can deliver twice the performance of GCN. After seeing Zelda:TP, RE4, Pikmin 2, and Metroid Prime 2 on GCN... that's fine by me.

Especially given the controller, functionality, and price.

Well I have two of the little beasts on pre-order so I have an interest in what the capabilities are. I think people are underestimating what is in Wii now just like they were overestimating what was in it during Revolution time.

The fact that the stats have not leaked out as far as we know this close to launch suggests one of two things.

Either it truly is an overclocked Gamecube and Nintendo is hiding it to avoid being ridiculed for charging $250 for what is basically a Gamecube with better controllers.

Or they have something a lot better than what people are thinking is in it now and want to suprise everyone with both incredible gameplay and graphics better than hoped.

Under promise and then over deliver.

That to me makes more sense then any other scenario from a marketing perspective. Not 360/PS3 level stuff but not that far off to be embarrassing. If it truly was just an overclocked Gamecube like product then I would have told everyone about it months ago so that people would get it out of their systems about bitching about it.

From what I have seen of the latest screenshots and renders seems to place the Wii a notch below the other two, but still in the same generation.

Like we haven't heard the oc argument a billion times since accurate specs came out for the system. Problem is in order for that to work the performance numbers we've been hearing otherwise would have to match up with the oc increment. Same for some of the improvements we seen in certain games like mario strikes and the fact most of the crowd is 3d, lighting MP3, reflections in ET, or the texturing jump in SSBB. Nintendo isn't hiding anything, but they certainly didn't just OC the GC otherwise this system would've been out months ago and the chips would've been completed much earlier than E3 of this year.

I dunno, dude. It ain't fair to blast Rare for that and people giving Team Ico a free pass for Shadow of the Colossus.

I dunno, dude. It ain't fair to blast Rare for that and people giving Team Ico a free pass for Shadow of the Colossus.

Especially when there were other n64 games with framerates just as bad as Rare that didn't look half as good. 1st party nintendo games were about the only ones that managed a decent framerate on n64, and even they weren't that besides mario 64 and f-zero x.

I do think Pikmin 2 is one of the nicer looking gamecube games though, and makes good use of pixel shaders and such, so EAD isn't completely unfamiliar to making good looking games.

Especially when there were other n64 games with framerates just as bad as Rare that didn't look half as good. 1st party nintendo games were about the only ones that managed a decent framerate on n64, and even they weren't that besides mario 64 and f-zero x.

I do think Pikmin 2 is one of the nicer looking gamecube games though, and makes good use of pixel shaders and such, so EAD isn't completely unfamiliar to making good looking games.

Ubisoft has also been able to get performance out of the N64 with Rayman 2.

I think who you're really talking about is NST (Nintendo Software Technology). While they were responsible for 1080 for N64, their GameCube titles simply aren't quite up to snuff as EAD's. Take a look at WaveRace: Blue Storm and 1080 Avalanche: IMO, very underwhelming visuals for a GC game on their behalf. EAD has indeed pulled more stops with the TEV on Pikmin, especially Pikmin 2, which features bloom lighting.

As a old skool gamer I am still shocked to see both the Sega logo and Nintendo logo on the same screen when GX loads. I guess they don't do what Nintendon't afterall? lol

As a old skool gamer I am still shocked to see both the Sega logo and Nintendo logo on the same screen when GX loads. I guess they don't do what Nintendon't afterall? lol

I practically had a heart attack the first time I saw it, and it still gives me chills... but in a good way. :3

Guaranteed they did it on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back