Final Fantasy XIII announced for PS3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nesh said:
Ahm....are you really really sure that all you got from FF especially from 7,8,9 were "Cutscene, battle,cutscene, battle,save and again cutscene... ."? :???:

sorry i missed boss it's like "Cutscene, battle,cutscene,Boss ,cutscene ,save and again cutscene."

I feel sorry for you.

(PS. At this level of sophistication you could describe nearly every FPS as "Run, Shoot, Run, Shoot, Run, Jump, Run, Shoot, Load next level")

[edit]
Just to clarify before someone misunderstands: This is not a jab at the FPS genre, but rather an example to clarify the ridiculousness of conversing about games in this manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterT said:
I feel sorry for you.

(PS. At this level of sophistication you could describe nearly every FPS as "Run, Shoot, Run, Shoot, Run, Jump, Run, Shoot, Load next level")

[]

Gsus

please don't need to feel sorry about me i will be fine after all it's only game. I prefer more complex RPG system with toons of dialogs, quests, skills, and when this all affect all and gameplay as well. If you dont it's ok for me peace just don't shoot me people!

czekon said:
sorry i missed boss it's like "Cutscene, battle,cutscene,Boss ,cutscene ,save and again cutscene."
My reaction to your statement is still the same :???:

Final Fantasy is more like.......

this-->
czekon said:
Gsus

....... complex RPG system with toons of dialogs, quests, skills, and when this all affect all and gameplay as well.

Sdw said:
Good point. I did get the impression from many that FFVII was so good that it would still be a superb game, which I why I decided to give it a try, but that might just be peoples judgement being clouded by nostalgia.

Although I consider myself a hardcore Final Fantasy geek, I have to agree that FFVII didn't stand the test of time very well. Sure, the things I liked about it still remain: the beautiful, unique setting and atmosphere (sure beats the generic medieval fantasy setting used by nearly EVERY ----ING WESTERN RPG EVER), the music that really sets the tone and directs your emotions (rather than just being unobtrusive background noise), the attention to detail in the pre-rendered backgrounds that is utterly lacking in today's real-time 3d worlds due to technical reasons or just laziness, etc.

What you mentioned before about characters' behavior being erratic and strange is spot on. This is exactly what I noticed when I fired up FFVII about a year ago. Every time you talk to someone it seems like they say something totally non-sequitur and irrelevant. The translation is atrocious. Also, I almost get the feeling that the story was something they made up as they went along. Some new law of physics or whatever just comes out of nowhere whenever it's convenient. It's sort of like in Ghostbusters when Egon tells them to cross the streams and they all look at him like "where did that come from?"

Which FF game (or other JRPG) would you recommend starting with then? Is FF8/9 better, or is it only the latest PS2 games that you would say are up to modern standards?
Or should I try an entirely different series as a introduction to JRPG?

You should check out the "JRPG best of list" on this board. To answer your question, though, it depends on what you want to get out of the game. For me, JRPGs are about complex storylines, immersive environments loaded with detail and personality, a bit of uniqueness and quirkiness that you don't find in most western games, music that is as much a part of the games as the visuals (if not moreso), characters that are interesting enough that you enjoy watching them interact with each other, etc.

My favorite JRPG by far is Xenogears for PS1. There's no other game like it. The story is just epic. You learn bits and pieces of the history of Xenogears' universe and they all start to fit together. You really feel like you are part of something enormous. You make connections by yourself instead of having some idiotic 17-year-old blue-haired "up-with-people" douchebag spoon feed everything you. It's not a black-and-white, good-versus-evil thing because the antagonists have interesting, complex motivations. You start to see the layers of complexity the more you get into it. It also raises some pretty interesting philosophical questions such as: Can we ever live peacefully with each other? What does it mean to be human? What is our true potential? What is our relationship with God? Who/what are our masters? Also, if you know anything about Nietzsche's philosophies, you will appreciate that many characters are total embodiments of his ideas. And come on, it has giant robots, kung fu, pirates, sex, and space ships, among other things :)

The one disclaimer I have about Xenogears, and it bothers me because I HATE when games do this, is that the game starts out a bit slowly. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get into it. I promise it's worth it though!

hoping to not derail the thread but I just wanted to add that sometimes the localization of JRPGs kil of whatever sense and substance the creator originally intended...

Hopefully with BD they may be able to keep the original Japanese version on the same disc, or at least the audio track, with subtitles in localised languages if desired.

I don't really think that it's technical constraints that prevented some localizations from keeping the original voice tracks even this generation, with MP3 and friends around. Also, it's not like there are no games out now that let you select the language. Examples that come to my mind are all the Nippon Ichi games and some from Atlus.

However, sadly I don't believe that Squenix will keep the japanese track, even if you give them 100GB discs. That's a political thing, not a technical fact.

Mod Axe of Pruning +2 : Magazine scans aren't allowed! :mad:All but the newest of noobs should know this by now.

If the art direction in these is the same with the game then I'm sold!
Now were can we get RT footage?! Can't wait!

Edit: I'm guessing these screens are from Versus and not FF13 right? or am I mistaken?

If the art direction in these is the same with the game then I'm sold!
Now were can we get RT footage?! Can't wait!

Edit: I'm guessing these screens are from Versus and not FF13 right? or am I mistaken?

Both

I'd say 1st, 5th and 6th one, from VR XIII, the other ones from FFXIII

Will it play like ff10? That is the only one I played the most, but still didn't finish it...
All the random battles pissed me off while traveling down this road, and when I got to this boss battle I wasn't experienced enough to beat it...

Will this one be any easier?
I really cant play many rpg's (too impatient) but I really want to play this game, it just looks awesome...

I would strongly suspect something along the lines of the FFXII free roam/pick your battles engine and would be very disappointed in fact if it wasn't built on that. Of course, it could be different and FFXIII Versus instead could be built upon FFXII, but I'm hoping FFXIII will be also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back