Alan Wake 2 [PC, PS5, XBSX|S] 17th october 2023

Gamespot's screens

4143070-bigfish_det_4k_101%281%29.png

4143071-bigfish_det_4k_141%281%29.png

4143074-alanwake2_ps5_det_4k_038.png

4143075-alanwake2_det_4k_048%282%29.png

Alan Wake and Control are in the same "Remedy connected universe". The Control DLC formalised that. Based on the trailer, looks like Max Payne is too.

For a studio like Remedy, I think it makes sense for them to build their own little version of the MCU?

Nope, that's Sam Lake since he's playing the Agent.

All Remedy owned IPs are part of the "Remedy Universe" or somehow connected (Alan Wake in Quantum Break)

So apparently this is Digital only and no physical release.

Is this a turning point for the industry. Will we see more and more games release only digitally ?

Alan Wake and Control are in the same "Remedy connected universe". The Control DLC formalised that. Based on the trailer, looks like Max Payne is too.

For a studio like Remedy, I think it makes sense for them to build their own little version of the MCU?
lol I'm waiting for their version of the Avengers lol

Excited for this. Alan Wake was a surprisingly great game when I played it.

Considering the importance of light and shadows, this has the potential to really be a showcase for RT lighting in a similar way to how Control really showcased RT reflections to good effect.

If Remedy successfully show RT lighting being used artistically/cinematically (unlike pretty much all other RT games that have RT lighting) in additional to realistically that will be an absolutely huge step forward for RT lighting. Considering that Remedy is very much a developer who attempts to make their games mimic episodic TV series in both look, feel and storytelling, I have high hopes for this.

I really hope Remedy doesn't disappoint on that front and we end up just getting boring realistic RT lighting with no cinematic/artistic use of RT lighting. That cinematic/artistic use of lighting is absolutely huge for anything that goes for a horror vibe.

Regards,
SB

lol I'm waiting for their version of the Avengers lol

That would be horrible for the games. It's ok for the writers to think up of ways to retcon ways to weave each game's fiction together in the background, and leaving breadcrumbs for the dedicated fans in distant corners and all that. But when that becomes a driving focus of the writing, the stories themselves sufer.

These multi-verse tie-ins are the least interesting part of any narrative, and amount to a masturbatorial exercise in making shit up as you go that only the writing staff itseld and a fraction of overly invested fans care about.

The more fiction starts bothering itself with multi-verse justifications, the more it focuses entirely on plot, and very little on actual story telling. Things like dates, places, and that sort fictional factoids, are meant to be mere connective tissue for the real meat of any good story: Human interaction, thought exercises, expressions of emotion, societal dynamics, philosophical dilemas, timeless archetypal tragedies etc. That stuff should be at the front, back and center of any work of fiction, everything else is a mean to that end.

That would be horrible for the games. It's ok for the writers to think up of ways to retcon ways to weave each game's fiction together in the background, and leaving breadcrumbs for the dedicated fans in distant corners and all that. But when that becomes a driving focus of the writing, the stories themselves sufer.

These multi-verse tie-ins are the least interesting part of any narrative, and amount to a masturbatorial exercise in making shit up as you go that only the writing staff itseld and a fraction of overly invested fans care about.

The more fiction starts bothering itself with multi-verse justifications, the more it focuses entirely on plot, and very little on actual story telling. Things like dates, places, and that sort fictional factoids, are meant to be mere connective tissue for the real meat of any good story: Human interaction, thought exercises, expressions of emotion, societal dynamics, philosophical dilemas, timeless archetypal tragedies etc. That stuff should be at the front, back and center of any work of fiction, everything else is a mean to that end.
Lol I wasn’t too serious about it. But it can be done right. I feel like Brandon Sanderson does this well. And I believe that Glass (movie) was a pretty decent way to do this as well.

But yes, a lot of it turns out poorly.

I'm still waiting for the open world Alan Wake promised at E3, rather than the linearitis-ridden game it ended up as.
Well, the story they were trying to tell was also pretty linear, so the open would have been wasted, without "side-activities", which then can detract from the main narrative thread. The industry is also flooded with open world games which have become an opportunity to pad out titles with superficial resource collecting and copy and pasted enemy encounters. To have an open world full of unique and interesting encounters would require a lot more developer resources, and as an independent studio Remedy can't really compete with the large AAA developers.

Back