Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I dunno, but I tried the demo installed on my NVMe drive and it loaded super fast of course, but there were some stutters here or there... but then I it on a SATA SSD gives smoother performance, and I don't know if it's placebo.. but it certainly feels like smoother frametimes to me with no stuttering. Really weird as it seems opposite to what John said in the DF Direct.

One thing I hate... is when games don't properly poll windows display resolutions and present them as selectable in the resolution options... Or... if you have a borderless fullscreen mode, why the hell not offer resolution scaling + and - of 100%... These things should be mandatory by now.

I wish the Nvidia control panel would allow us to add the ability to change the desktop resolution to the game's driver profile! It would be nice to be able to select a custom desktop resolution for each game separately.

I dunno, but I tried the demo installed on my NVMe drive and it loaded super fast of course, but there were some stutters here or there... but then I it on a SATA SSD gives smoother performance, and I don't know if it's placebo.. but it certainly feels like smoother frametimes to me with no stuttering. Really weird as it seems opposite to what John said in the DF Direct.

One thing I hate... is when games don't properly poll windows display resolutions and present them as selectable in the resolution options... Or... if you have a borderless fullscreen mode, why the hell not offer resolution scaling + and - of 100%... These things should be mandatory by now.

I wish the Nvidia control panel would allow us to add the ability to change the desktop resolution to the game's driver profile! It would be nice to be able to select a custom desktop resolution for each game separately.
Yeah that's a huge shame. I wish we've gotten smarter driver level supersampling somehow. Having to change the whole desktop can really be an ordeal. Not to mention, it actually increases VRAM consumption of said desktop and other applications... Because now all of them are using that upscaled resolution, which has no benefits for the user, not at all. :D

I noticed that using native 1080p on forspoken results 7264 MB of VRAM usable, whereas using DLDSR 1620p desktop results 6850 MB of VRAM usable... So nearly 350 mb is lost to upscaled desktop, sadly.

got serious slow down in one specific area when the VRAM allocation says 8,8GB / 6.4GB, less than 20fps lol

FORSPOKEN 30_01_2023 20.10.42 (Medium).png

despite the game being fine before with much higher vram usage (more than 10 GB, IIRC it even reached 16GB one time) exceeding physical vram (i only have 3070 LHR 8GB).

finished the game, and turns out the game was optimized for speedrunning thru the main campaign first. it even got a proper post-game, where doing chores (uh.. side quests) became much less annoying due to the unlocked traversal abilities.

by doing the campaign first then side quests later, it actualy feels as a much better game than when doing side quests alongside main campaign.

remember the weirdly placed churches/inn? they looks like someone just plopped them with no design consideration?

it seems they were indeed just plopped without being properly designed. for example this one, plopped with incorrect Z height. Making the building as if it was simply teleported there.

or those buildings were indeed teleported to various places? hence they didnt sync well with things around them?

plopped.jpg

and if you look around them, its also weirdly positioned near a wall, creating incomprehensible dead spaces.

remember the weirdly placed churches/inn? they looks like someone just plopped them with no design consideration?

it seems they were indeed just plopped without being properly designed. for example this one, plopped with incorrect Z height. Making the building as if it was simply teleported there.

or those buildings were indeed teleported to various places? hence they didnt sync well with things around them?

View attachment 8248

and if you look around them, its also weirdly positioned near a wall, creating incomprehensible dead spaces.
lol at your floor textures not loading properly. This game is really poor, my goodness

Somethings can get missed during final QA etc, but the issues with this title aren't that.
They wanted to get it out.
Now it's a rush to see how quickly they can fix things.

The
Somethings can get missed during final QA etc, but the issues with this title aren't that.
They should have left the files and graphics settings unencrypted, so modders can try to fix stuff

They're rushing against price drops as well. It seems to have fallen in price in several regions already.

There was a Patch 1.02 two days ago. It has nothing major and i see no changes playing a little.
they seem to spend time to fix things for the steam deck 🤷‍♂️

They're rushing against price drops as well. It seems to have fallen in price in several regions already.
To be fair, the overall package quality really doesnt reflect its launch price.

Its one of the most expensive AAA game on steam. it is even more expensive than hogwash legacy

Btw to anyone feeling mad at cuff x Frey bickering/conversation/chatter.

Quickly finish the main story. It'll made sense later on. Then all the hints peppered around will start to make sense.

I just remembered this, but regarding textures and/or VRAM and/or other issues for PC users have you tried toggling Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling on/off?

Apparently the game keeps loading and unloading stuff from the main RAM/VRAM on PC. If you do as much as change the camera or rotate the view, the game will unload and load data from the storage to RAM and from VRAM to RAM and vice versa causing fps to drop as the game is hitting PCI-E bandwidth limits! Which is what Digital Foundry actually found in their coverage, whenever the camera moves, fps drops!!

Even if you stand still it will continue to load data from NVME to RAM, as was posted earlier by HolySmoke on 2023-01-26 when testing the demo [ Original Posts @
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...o-technology-pc-ps5-xbsx-s.62015/post-2286867 and
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...o-technology-pc-ps5-xbsx-s.62015/post-2287119 ] and verified by Dictator [Post @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...o-technology-pc-ps5-xbsx-s.62015/post-2286870 ]

HolySmoke said:
There are a lot of weird behaviors in this demo that are still unaccounted for. The game reads through 65GB in a few minutes while standing still, for example.

I thought it might be loading/evicting data in that scene so I set up a RAM cache to see how large it was. But I had to stop at 24GB because it seems to read through the entire 40GB data files over and over.

Holysmoke said:
I think we can safely say the PC version is borked. I repeated this test on my PS5 and it only read 12GB from disk over the same time period.

Dictator said:
I have also seen this behaviour in the final game. Just sitting still seeing a constant 500 mb/s on the NVme for no reason. This happens for mintues on end. This screenshot was taken with me having sat still here for about 4 minutes and it was doing 500-530 mb/s the entire time.

Apparently the game keeps loading and unloading stuff from the main RAM/VRAM on PC. If you do as much as change the camera or rotate the view, the game will unload and load data from the storage to RAM and from VRAM to RAM and vice versa causing fps to drop as the game is hitting PCI-E bandwidth limits! Which is what Digital Foundry actually found in their coverage, whenever the camera moves, fps drops!!

PCI-E Bandwidth should be a lot higher than what this game pulls from any SSD in my measurement. In game, even when the bug is occuring of the game drawing 500 mb/s from an SSD, that is still a heck of a lot below PCI-E 3.0 BW and a lot under 4.0 bandwidth.

Uh the latest update made the texture even lower resolution than before.

Can someone compile dxgi.dll with fake VRAM size?

Back