Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
^ wait till you finish the new york area and get into the world :) You can have 80 frames looking in one dirrection then go to 55 just by turning the opposite dirrection where it's the same enviroment
i didnt buy the game, just play the demo. so its instantly in the open world portion.

Damn. seems like had a rough time. Could barely get above 40fps without DLSS

Don't forget that's at native 4k with settings that go beyond the PS5 settings (as a minimum the addition of RT AO). In it's quality/40hz mode the PS5 is running at 1080p most of the time according to DF. So that's 4x the resolution with higher settings on top which seems reasonable given the performance difference between the two systems.

The Direct Storage presentation they did for this game was version 1.0 so unless they've upgraded to version 1.1 the game will still be using DS1.0.

This should be easily verified as the devs presentation stated the loading used 40% of a Ryzen 5950x so you should see a huge CPU spike on initial load.

If there's not CPU spike the game is likely using DS1.1

Don't forget that's at native 4k with settings that go beyond the PS5 settings (as a minimum the addition of RT AO). In it's quality/40hz mode the PS5 is running at 1080p most of the time according to DF. So that's 4x the resolution with higher settings on top which seems reasonable given the performance difference between the two systems.
Seems reasonable but that's not me saying it's unoptimized but him in his summary 😅 I dunno how native 4k can be considered unoptimized though.

I definitely think this game doesnt do anything worth how heavy it is tbh

It looks nearly the exact same as the SSAO on my end. I do not think it is working as it is supposed to. If it is working as it is supposed to, then it is definitely the worst RTAO possibly ever seen in a game.
yes, thats my experience. exact same as SSAO.

oh and if i only enable RTAO (SSAO disabled), then no AO at all.

thus i think RTAO is bugged.

but its not bugged here @troyan https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/forspoken-project-athia-ps5-pc.61802/post-2286681

EDIT
oh another bug: dualsense speaker didnt work for me (cuff should talk thru dualsesne speaker)

EDIT2

easiest to test for real time graphics changes is in the title screen. toggling SSAO = easily see AO on/off. but toggling RTAO = no visible difference.

EDIT3
OOOOH a reboot fixed it!

now dualsense controller audio work, and RTAO also work.

EDIT4
but now the game hitches every time a new FX appear. like when in the start of sprint, when falling, when pressing attack, etc.

EDIT5
ookay... now i got these issues

performance drop and stutters, yep. now i need to use DLSS performance, and it only got ~40 fps.
low res textures, yep. it never load hi res texture at all.

Last edited:
It looks nearly the exact same as the SSAO on my end. I do not think it is working as it is supposed to. If it is working as it is supposed to, then it is definitely the worst RTAO possibly ever seen in a game.

Might try turning it off and seeing if I get a performance boost then!

1728p on average in tested scenes according to ElAnalistaDeBits

I looked. The issue is we know from johns video that the minimum of performance mode is 720p and quality is minimum 1080 but the average he doesn't actually say.

Yeah but are commenting different test places than John used ;)

Indeed. The scenes where the resolution differences were shown (which suggests where they were also measured) were different to the scenes where performance was measured in the ElAnalistaDeBits video. Those scenes are quite light weight on the GPU from what I understand (the opening New York area and the training canyon from the demo) and so could easily be delivering higher resolution counts than those were the performance was being measured. Without a like for like performance comparison in the same area at the same settings, trying to draw any comparisons here is fruitless.

I looked. The issue is we know from johns video that the minimum of performance mode is 720p and quality is minimum 1080 but the average he doesn't actually say.

A little further on he says that in the 40hz mode the resolution generally sits towards the bottom of the scale.

Back