Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a truly nonsense term. Can we please use 2700p and 2160p alongside 756p and 540p! ;)
Yes please. The industry's arbitrary switch from vertical to horizontal resolutions and then rounding up 3840 to 4000 has annoyed me this entire time. If they had made the switch to horizontal resolution numbers when TVs switched to widescreen I would have accepted it, I think. But now, it's just appropriating an term from cinema that is about to make less sense with "8k". 3840 is nearly 4000. 7680 is just over 7500. Yet it's "8K".

Bruv, I feel like I am spoiled by horizons npcs...looking at that forespoken character it doesn't even seem like human being. Even horizon 1 npcs looks 10 times better

We need more AA class games that are shorter. But they are charging 70 dollars for this and clearly the actual financial expectation for this is probably higher than a AA class. Damn shame

Amen. This trend of filling large open world games with repetitive content that demand 50+ hours of your time is really getting old. Give me a solid 8-10 hour experience any day.

image.png

They did not send PC code.

Amen. This trend of filling large open world games with repetitive content that demand 50+ hours of your time is really getting old. Give me a solid 8-10 hour experience any day.

Breath Of The Wild comes to mind with it's 120 shrines.

Mario Odyssey is just as bad with it's unneeded 880 moons designed to make it seem like the game has a ton of content after you finish the main part.

Games like that can work...but they don't all need to be that. I blame Ubisoft more than anyone for making this a standard in the industry when a balance of curated more linear and shorter experiences was much better and more healthy for the industry and fan expectation.

Not that I'm saying the dominance of the linear first person shootbang era of the 7th gen is what I want back, But there has to be some leeway and balance between two extremes

The game is short, the main story can be done in 10 hour. This is not the problem. The dialog are horrible with shit every sentence.

From a french preview for @Rootax, the bracelet name is "Krav" and one dialogue line is "Krav t'es pas poucrave". 🤣 J'ai des frissons de honte qu'on puisse mettre cette ligne de dialogue dans un jeu. For non native english speaker, it will probably be very fun to watch a youtube video of the game if your native language is supported.

Bkowh24.jpg

Last edited:
The game is short, the main story can be donein 10 hour. This is not the problem. The dialog are horrible with shit every phrase.

From a french preview for @Rootax, the bracelet name is "crav" and one dialogue line is "crav t'es pas poucrav". 🤣 J'ai des frissons de honte qu'on puisse mettre cette ligne de dialogue dans un jeu. For non native english speaker, it will probably be very fun to watch a youtube video of the game if your native language is supported.
After 5mn of playing the demo the first thing I did was to turn off all dialogues. Those were so annoying.

The game is short, the main story can be donein 10 hour. This is not the problem. The dialog are horrible with shit every phrase.

From a french preview for @Rootax, the bracelet name is "crave" and one dialogue line is "crav t'es pas poucrave". 🤣 J'ai des frissons de honte qu'on puisse mettre cette ligne de dialogue dans un jeu. For non native english speaker, it will probably be very fun to watch a youtube video of the game if your native language is supported.

Bkowh24.jpg
Bruh.

Great video. It will be interesting to compare with the PC version rendered at full resolution. Frey's hair in particular seems to be suffering from upscaling and looks pretty bad. The section on lighting and AO was particularly disappointing. I laughed out loud at the clumsy transition from RT shadows to shadow maps on the castle wall, just terrible.

What a horrible mess, their baked global illumination is basic with almost no indirect illumination whatsoever, their ambient occlusion is literally disfunctioning, and their RT shadows are basic at best. How is this a next gen game is beyond me. FFX15 and The Witcher 3 both looks leaps and bounds above this mess.

Shockingly bad in many ways. Kind of funny though that people were speculating on the demo area being weaker compared to the rest when in fact it’s one of the better looking biomes. The gameplay animation is pretty good though.

What a horrible mess, their baked global illumination is basic with almost no indirect illumination whatsoever, their ambient occlusion is literally disfunctioning, and their RT shadows are basic at best. How is this a next gen game is beyond me. FFX15 and The Witcher 3 both looks leaps and bounds above this mess.
Not even mentioning ff16 which looks like a proper next gen showcase...

Even in the area this game shines like alpha heavy effects ff16 is using them at a much higher quality and level with seemingly much bigger fidelity too.

I don't know what to blame on resources, management, tools or a mix of all 3.

Atleast if they were using a more common engine like unreal they could bring in other people to help them fix things and improve. But the luminous studio is literally the only people with the knowhow of the luminous engine at this point. The main people in charge of it's creation and design besides them already left the company and are not coming back.

As jon said in the video it might be the last time it's actually utilized..which is a shame.

I wouldent be surprised if luminous studio is shut down after this with the team staff molded into other parts of the company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back