Electric Vehicle Thread!

I mean its in my post

Wall Connector

A Tesla Wall Connector offers the fastest charging speed for your home or office, adding up to 44 miles of range per hour charged. You can order a Wall Connector online and have it installed by a Tesla Certified electrician.

It offers up to 44miles of range per hour charged

This is the rivian charger

Made to keep you moving

Our Wall Charger connects via Wi-Fi and communicates seamlessly with the full Rivian ecosystem to receive over-the-air updates. Charging is capable of 11.5 kW — meaning, you can add up to 25 miles of range per hour of charging.

So 44 is almost double the 25 of the rivian
Tesla has different flavours of wall chargers. Mine is 240V/60amp.
It charges pretty quick but I required all new wiring, fuses, a separate fuse box and a new panel etc to support it.

Going with the NEMA version is much easier to swallow.

So 44 is almost double the 25 of the Rivian
Well, I still didn't understand then, but I do now so thanks for the clarification!

Charging power is pretty damned simple: volts times amps equals watts, and watts times hours equals watt-hours. Why is Tesla charging "almost double" the Rivian? It's not because of the power of the charger, it's because of the efficiency of the Tesla drivetrain. Purely as an example, my Model Y Performance will get nearly four miles from a kilowatt-hour of power; the Rivian gets just a tiny bit over two miles for the same power consumption.

Hence my confusion when you were asking about charging, as charging isn't the differentiator here.

Well, I still didn't understand then, but I do now so thanks for the clarification!

Charging power is pretty damned simple: volts times amps equals watts, and watts times hours equals watt-hours. Why is Tesla charging "almost double" the Rivian? It's not because of the power of the charger, it's because of the efficiency of the Tesla drivetrain. Purely as an example, my Model Y Performance will get nearly four miles from a kilowatt-hour of power; the Rivian gets just a tiny bit over two miles for the same power consumption.

Hence my confusion when you were asking about charging, as charging isn't the differentiator here.
Excuse my noob questions, but Is it due to the efficiency of the Tesla drivetrain? Or is it from using Tesla's Supercharger that uses DC Fast Charging that doubles charging speed?
Also isn't DC fast charging one of the things to avoid with regard to shortening battery lifespan and eventual replacement?

Eastmen is asking about chargers for the home. Specifically, he is asking about Rivians top-end 240v charger "only" charging at 25mph when Tesla offers a similar 240v charger rated for 44mph.

If you do the math, both chargers are charging at the same 11kw rate. So then why is Tesla rating theirs at almost double the miles per hour speed? Because the "miles per hour" charge rating also considers the distance your car is expected to get from the power being provided.

Rivian expects you to get around a mile for every 450 watt-hours, Tesla is expecting you will get a mile for every 250 watt-hours. This is why, at the same wattage rating, the Tesla charger appears twice faster than Rivian.

Eastmen is asking about chargers for the home. Specifically, he is asking about Rivians top-end 240v charger "only" charging at 25mph when Tesla offers a similar 240v charger rated for 44mph.

If you do the math, both chargers are charging at the same 11kw rate. So then why is Tesla rating theirs at almost double the miles per hour speed? Because the "miles per hour" charge rating also considers the distance your car is expected to get from the power being provided.

Rivian expects you to get around a mile for every 450 watt-hours, Tesla is expecting you will get a mile for every 250 watt-hours. This is why, at the same wattage rating, the Tesla charger appears twice faster than Rivian.
Thanks for the explanation.

Other companies really need to catch up imo.

Well, lets be fair to Rivian here: they build pickup trucks, which are not meant to be aerodynamic nor particularly energy efficient. Just like ICE vehicles, if you want higher fuel (energy) efficiency, you buy a sedan-shaped car and not a block-shaped truck.

Tesla vehicles are very aerodynamic in comparison, both in coefficient of drag and in total frontal area. Tesla also spent a lot of time thinking about other sources of drag such as underbody and down the sides. Every little bit helps...

btw does cars in your region have their original selling price declared in tax calculation, compared to the real price you are paying? how much they differ?

for example in indonesia, ioniq 5 NJKB (sales value of motorized vehicles) as 450mill. but being sold at 800mill.

basically for each units, hyundai got hefty profit. much more than tesla's infamous 30% margin. AND THEY ARE BACKORDERED FOR YEARS.

the demands is crazy ROFL.

Ioniq is an incredible car. If other EVs had the charging resources that Tesla had, Tesla would be a footnote by 2025.

Tesla announces 1.31 million cars shipped in 2022, which represents 40% higher than 2021.

But apparently forecasts were higher?

Tesla announces 1.31 million cars shipped in 2022, which represents 40% higher than 2021.

But apparently forecasts were higher?

Forecasts for Q4 tended to be around 415k delivered vs 406k actual. Not sure what Tesla's guidance was. 2-3% miss on volume so not any sort of hand wringing disaster or anything.

There's mumbling concern about demand collapse as Tesla's backlog reduces. Quite how you differentiate that from Tesla (and others) being back to a more normal production vs demand situation I'm not sure.

I suspect China is a big element:

Tesla’s new vehicle deliveries fell short of Wall Street expectations in the fourth quarter, adding to worries that higher interest rates and an economic slowdown could crimp demand for the US electric carmaker’s models in 2023.

The shortfall sent Tesla shares down more than 6 per cent at the open in New York on Tuesday, the first trading day of the year.

The disappointment came despite record quarterly deliveries in the latest three months, as Tesla’s new plants in Berlin and Texas continued to increase production. The company said on Monday it delivered 405,278 vehicles in the three months to the end of December, an increase of 11 per cent from the record it hit in the preceding quarter. Most analysts had expected deliveries to reach 420,000-430,000.

The late-year jump in sales meant that Tesla delivered just over 1.3mn new vehicles to customers in 2022, an increase of 40 per cent from the previous year. Chief executive Elon Musk had predicted early in the year that the company would hit its longer-range goal of expanding deliveries by 50 per cent annually, though he grew more cautious as the year wore on and the company was hit by Covid-related production shutdowns in China, supply chain challenges and early signs of weakening demand.

The latest figures showed that production exceeded deliveries by 34,423, the third quarter in a row Tesla reported excess production. In a statement, the company suggested that logistics accounted for at least part of the problem, as it “continued to transition towards a more even regional mix of vehicle builds which again led to a further increase in cars in transit at the end of the quarter”.

Tesla struggled with production and logistics challenges throughout 2022, which included the closing of its largest production plant, in Shanghai, for an extended period early in the year.

But Wall Street’s focus shifted from supply to demand late in the year as the waiting lists for its most popular vehicles shortened. In December, Tesla announced a $7,500 incentive in the US for anyone buying a Model S or Y before the end of 2022, an apparent move to shore up demand as potential customers waited for a $7,500 tax credit for electric vehicle purchases that is due to take effect in 2023.

Musk warned in December of “stormy weather ahead” as higher interest rates weighed on demand, and has been critical of what he claims is excessive monetary tightening to tame inflation.

Tesla’s shares fell 54 per cent in the final quarter of 2022 as investors worried that Musk’s Twitter takeover could present a distraction and lead him to sell more Tesla stock, and that a period of high growth and expanding profit margins for the electric carmaker was coming to an end.

The competition within China from the native EV car makers is intense.

Competition is great in a new space like this. I'm really glad there are so many other players now; let's hope charging networks continue in the same competitive direction.

I mean honestly everyone should have fully expected BYD to beat out Tesla in China. They're less expensive and an established local brand. Even so, more power to them!

AFEELA the awkwardness in Sony mobility CES presentation.

* EPIC - basically says nothing
* Qualcomm - basically says nothing
* Sony - buzz words with emotion and feeling. but at least they showed that the interior design is kinda like Honda e.

AFEELA the awkwardness in Sony mobility CES presentation.

* EPIC - basically says nothing
* Qualcomm - basically says nothing
* Sony - buzz words with emotion and feeling. but at least they showed that the interior design is kinda like Honda e.
So uh... Is this another of your famous computer glitches, or did you maybe just respond to the wrong thread? :D :D

Sony is supposedly showing an EV that it's making with Honda at CES.

But it's not due to be out until 2026.

Back