AMD Execution Thread [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Data Center GPUs from AMD, NVIDIA or Intel are not accounted for here, same for GPUs for the Edge/Embedded, or Professional Visualization or other exotic use cases (like GPU RAID) .. etc.
OEMs aren't considered AIBs either, are they? Many of them have their own cards

Ouch, the strongest GPU shipment quarter saw a massive drop in overall GPU shipments. Inflation and fears of a recession hitting hard combined with the crash in crypto-currencies.

-25.1 year over year for all GPUs and -10.3% quarter to quarter. It's extremely rare for shipments to drop going from Q2 to Q3 since Q3 is generally the highest selling quarter for GPUs.

Desktop discrete was particularly bad, -30% quarter to quarter (10 million Q2 down to 7 million Q3) and about -46% year to year (13 million Q3 2021 down to 7 million Q3 2022).

Overall desktop GPU shipments managed to increase due to increase in integrated desktop GPU shipments which was helped by all new AMD Ryzen consumer CPUs now including integrated GPUs.

Ouch, it's a slaughter.

Regards,
SB

I wonder how much of it is due to chip makers overshooting the market. A lot of games are still being made with the PS4/XB1 as the base platform, the top GPUs on steam are mostly 5-6 years old, and many of the top games on Steam are even older. The integrated Radeon GPU on my laptop can handle recent games at 1080p and a mix of medium-to-low settings just fine, let alone old games like CS:GO, PUBG, and TF2. NVIDIA's top-of-the-line raytracing GPUs are generating lots of press, but how much does the average consumer care when current integrated GPUs are able to put out graphics that look about on par with a PS4?

I wonder how much of it is due to chip makers overshooting the market. A lot of games are still being made with the PS4/XB1 as the base platform, the top GPUs on steam are mostly 5-6 years old, and many of the top games on Steam are even older. The integrated Radeon GPU on my laptop can handle recent games at 1080p and a mix of medium-to-low settings just fine, let alone old games like CS:GO, PUBG, and TF2. NVIDIA's top-of-the-line raytracing GPUs are generating lots of press, but how much does the average consumer care when current integrated GPUs are able to put out graphics that look about on par with a PS4?

Hard to say, but with the current economic climate, I'd imagine many of your average consumers who are gamers on PC are waiting to see what is available at the 200-400 USD price point with another more gamer focused crowd waiting to see what hits in the 400-700 USD price points.

I have a feeling that anything between 700 to whatever the absolute best video card is priced at (currently 4090 pricing) is going to have a rough time generating a lot of interest and sales. There will be some that are interested in cards in that price range, but it may be the lowest level of interest in that price range since before the first crypto wave. Pure speculation on my part based on the world economy combined with what I'm hearing around town here and there currently not being a really viable way to recoup or defray the cost of the card (cryptocurrency or gov't subsidies, for example).

Thus, I'm interested to see if the 4070 Ti or AMD's 7800 cards (assuming they are between 700 - 850 USD) can manage to sell out during it's first month of availability or if it'll be like the 4080 where there's plenty of stock on store shelves.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Hard to say, but with the current economic climate, I'd imagine many of your average consumers who are gamers on PC are waiting to see what is available at the 200-400 USD price point with another more gamer focused crowd waiting to see what hits in the 400-700 USD price points.

I have a feeling that anything between 700 to whatever the absolute best video card is priced at (currently 4090 pricing) is going to have a rough time generating a lot of interest and sales. There will be some that are interested in cards in that price range, but it may be the lowest level of interest in that price range since before the first crypto wave. Pure speculation on my part based on the world economy combined with what I'm hearing around town here and there currently not being a really viable way to recoup or defray the cost of the card (cryptocurrency or gov't subsidies, for example).

Thus, I'm interested to see if the 4070 Ti or AMD's 7800 cards (assuming they are between 700 - 850 USD) can manage to sell out during it's first month of availability or if it'll be like the 4080 where there's plenty of stock on store shelves.

Regards,
SB

How many GPUs are sold to individuals vs computer companies? I strongly suspect the overall decline in PC sales is part of this. And this decline in turn is due to increasing life cycles crawling up market into gaming. I remember we got a new 286 in 1989. 3 years later, Windows 3.1 wouldn't even run on it. Today, I know people who are just now retiring 8-year-old gaming PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back