LG 27" 1440p 240Hz OLED

Scott_Arm

Legend

Wow ... I am tempted. It even has hardware calibration support. This is basically my dream display. I'm assuming it needs DSC for 240Hz HDR? It doesn't actually say what the version of the ports are, but it supports DSC.

googling around, "2560×1440 @ 240 Hz requires about 32 Gbit/s transmission speed"

then if it has full blown HDMI 2.1 port like LG C9 series, it should be able to do so without DSC. its spec sheet only say 2x HDMI. didnt say the HDMI bandwidth.

Not sure how reliable this page is, but it speccifies HDMI 2.1

For those wanting an ultrawide, there's also this 45" 21:9 display.

That page also says it has HDMI 2.1

I'll stick with using a TV, but it's nice to see more dedicated gaming monitors with OLED panels.

Regards,
SB

Is burn in a solved problem ?

i think its inherent to the design. my understanding is that its basically like millions of candles, and every time they were lit, they were burning themselves up. Until each candle has a long enough burn life, burn-in will still be there in a normal appliance lifetime (e.g. 10+ years).

although in reality the burn in compensations in my LG CX already work pretty good to make burn ins practically invisible. yes temporary burns are still easily visible (especially when i accidentally interrupted the auto pixel refresher), but i hadnt got any permanent ones. so newer models with better safety measures and better efficiency and better cooling system would probably lasts even longer.

not sure how LG manage burned up pixels. driving burned pixels with higher power? reducing power to healthier pixels? dunno

EDIT:
although to be fair, my LCD samsung TV only last ~5yrs, LG LCD TV ~2 years, TCL LCD TV 2 years and 11 month (now in process of warranty claim). so by that abysmal experience, my LG OLED that ~5x more expensive than LCD TV.... hopefully at least will also have 5x life time at minimum.. hopefully...

I'll stick with using a TV, but it's nice to see more dedicated gaming monitors with OLED panels.

Regards,
SB

That ultrawide would be pretty tempting if not for the resolution. That res is way too low for such a massive panel.

That ultrawide would be pretty tempting if not for the resolution. That res is way too low for such a massive panel.

Yeah, 3840x1600 would have been better for that size, but 3440x1440 isn't bad. At least then it could match the ultrawidescreen resolution I can enable on my LG CX. :p

Regards,
SB

Yeah, 3840x1600 would have been better for that size, but 3440x1440 isn't bad. At least then it could match the ultrawidescreen resolution I can enable on my LG CX. :p

Regards,
SB

Did you scale that to full width or with black bars?

I never managed to make it goes full width

Which one? 3840 or 3440? 3840 is obviously full width, but I generally wouldn't do that since I prefer to play games in a window. Because of that I haven't tried to "full screen" 3440x1440.

Regards,
SB

i meant 3440.

dunno why, but non-native game resolutions are dependant on desktop resolution for fullscreen. 1:1 works with borders just fine.

as a workaround, currently i set desktop to 3840x1600 on desktop

Last edited:
It never able to funnel UW display signal, be it set as gpu scaling and display scaling. So even 3840x1600 actually are being sent as 3840*2160.

if you already have a 4K 120Hz or similar TV, go for it, as I commented in another thread, a high framerate and good IQ are basically synonyms. As I mentioned in another thread, that's why I prefer to play on my 32" 1440p 165Hz monitor rather than on my 50" 4K 120Hz TV, although the IQ is slightly better overall on the TV the performance is not, and the jaggies is there are no reconstruction techniques like DLSS or XeSS in a game, then you are going to deal with quite a few of them.

Regards,
SB
having satisfied my curiosity with a 4K 120Hz TV, I ended up playing games more on my previous Dell monitor. What a great monitor I had without giving it much value tbh. It has a bit of everything, 1440p 165Hz, Freesync Premium and a HDR that doesn't look that bad -though not as good as the TV-.

If you already have a 4K 120Hz TV then it's fine, if not, those monitors look like a good deal.

Asus PG27AQDM is using the same panel but with an added heatsink.

kinda fallen in love. I expect to have a new display in the future, some years from now, probably a 360Hz, 480Hz one. Satisfied my curiosity with a 4K TV -one that will last many many years, ´cos I am not planning on buying a new one-, I learnt to value how good my monitor was after I got one of those TVs which is all the rage these days, and sure it's really good, but I prefer to play on my monitor by a long shot.

If you also take into account that my monitor maxes out at 100W power consumption vs 200W more of the TV, and it feels snappier and more agile when gaming on it, the TV can't compete. But it's good to have both.

Back