Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

From the B3D System Reservation thread @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...-x-and-xbox-series-x-s-2019-12-2020-03.61513/

DigitalFoundry about the Series X [ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs ]

In terms of how the memory is allocated, games get a total of 13.5GB in total, which encompasses all 10GB of GPU optimal memory and 3.5GB of standard memory. This leaves 2.5GB of GDDR6 memory from the slower pool for the operating system and the front-end shell. From Microsoft's perspective, it is still a unified memory system, even if performance can vary. "In conversations with developers, it's typically easy for games to more than fill up their standard memory quota with CPU, audio data, stack data, and executable data, script data, and developers like such a trade-off when it gives them more potential bandwidth," says Goossen.

For the Series X we have the following written up:

Xbox Series X:
1 CPU core (or 2 threads) reserved for OS/Dashboard​
Games can use SMT or not; 8 physical cores at 3.8 GHz (SMT disabled), or 16 cores and threads at 3.6 GHz (SMT enabled)​
The OS/Dashboard reserves 2.5GB GDDR6 memory from the 336 GB/s memory pool and 32 Meg from the 560 GB/s pool.​

For the Series S I have the following written up:

Series S:
1 CPU core (or 2 threads) reserved for OS/Dashboard​
Games can use SMT or not; 8 physical cores at 3.6 GHz (SMT disabled), or 16 cores and threads at 3.4 GHz (SMT enabled)​
The OS/Dashboard reserves 2 GB GDDR6 memory from the 56 GB/s memory pool and 16-32 Meg from the 224 GB/s pool.​

Found it again, the source of my 32 Meg reservation statement. 😎

From the leaked released notes on Xbox Series X :

10240 Meg - 10208 Meg = 32 Meg

1659721513348.png

So that 32MB reservation is likely staying. The question is whether there were other reserved memory ?

There is no other GPU Optimal Memory reservations based on the statement: "nearly the full 10 GB (10208 of 10240 MB) of GPU Optimal Bandwidth memory is now available to titles".

I have assumed the same or possibly less than 32 Meg applies to the Series S -- it all depends if they freed any up for the Dashboard assuming the Series S targets lower resolution than Series X.

There were some other interviews and technical presentations that for the Series S developers do not need to be concerned about the slower memory pool as that is only ever used by the OS. This would place OS Reservation at 2.5 GB for Series X and 2 GB for Series S from the slower memory segment combined with the 32 Meg Series X and 16-32 Meg Series S from GPU Optimal Memory.

This is really great news for MS and I expect this number to explode with all the series s sales we will see this upcoming holiday
honestly, looking at how most games perform it seams pretty good so far. There are some outliers with big graphical downgrades but overall I think it's running most games fairly well. I'm also fairly surprised how far MS is behind Sony this generation simply because you can walk into a store and buy a Series S almost any day of the week.

hopefully it will push microsoft to officially support xbox on my region, and with more and more games that satisfy the taste of playstation exclusives (story driven games with high production value)

every single adult ive ever talked to got interested in how much cheaper it is compared to PS5, the ridiculous value of gamepass, and then it all fell apart when they ask whether they can have story driven with huge production value games like uncharted, the last of us, etc that are playstation exclusive.

i even offered to lend them my XSS, it have gamepass ultimate up to 2023. they simply say that they dont have time to play lots of games, that they just play 1 game usualy.

There is no other GPU Optimal Memory reservations based on the statement: "nearly the full 10 GB (10208 of 10240 MB) of GPU Optimal Bandwidth memory is now available to titles".

I have assumed the same or possibly less than 32 Meg applies to the Series S -- it all depends if they freed any up for the Dashboard assuming the Series S targets lower resolution than Series X.

There were some other interviews and technical presentations that for the Series S developers do not need to be concerned about the slower memory pool as that is only ever used by the OS. This would place OS Reservation at 2.5 GB for Series X and 2 GB for Series S from the slower memory segment combined with the 32 Meg Series X and 16-32 Meg Series S from GPU Optimal Memory.
Windows PC VRAM reservation is under the UEFI settings. Maybe MS/AMD didn’t reinvent the wheel and the small reservation is there to allow the OS to communicate with the GPU’s firmware.

Maybe MS/AMD didn’t reinvent the wheel and the small reservation is there to allow the OS to communicate with the GPU’s firmware.
The assumption is it's there for the Dashboard graphical display.

btw does the "low resolution objects becomes high resolution after ~0.5 seconds" exclusive to XSS dashboard/UI/overlays, to save for memory?

or its also like that on XSX?

hopefully it will push microsoft to officially support xbox on my region, and with more and more games that satisfy the taste of playstation exclusives (story driven games with high production value)
Sadly no info on how the thing sells in different territories. We don't even have XsX versus XsS numbers, do we?

Sadly no info on how the thing sells in different territories. We don't even have XsX versus XsS numbers, do we?

yeah, microsoft is very cagey about XS. IIRC the latest units sold info were only due to their dics related activision merger that went public.

But why waste the fast portion ram on that?

It's only 32 Megs at most on Series X. I wouldn't call that a waste. It also needs to be fast enough for smooth display and blending over what the game displays.

interesting the 1tb s is 71 grams or 2.5 ounces lighter according to youtuber open surprise. new revision or is that not enough change? And that's even WITH the added weight of the additional 512GB of storage! :p

I was joking about that, I assume the added SSD weight of more actual storage is completely negligible. But hey maybe if ya'll say so...

Back