NVidia Ada Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading about Displaced micro-mesh (DMM) on techpowerup article really catches my interest.
It's no continuous LOD solution, but discrete proxy meshes with displacement might work well enough in practice, and i could easily generate the data.

I wonder how they intend to expose this. Extensions to DirectX and Vulkan?
Or NVAPI, so AAA only?

Cyberpunk-2077-Overdrive-Mode-1100x597.jpg

As you can see, the performance gains registered by the GeForce RTX 4090 are more significant in games that support more advanced ray tracing implementations. For instance, games without RT enabled like Microsoft Flight Simulator and Warhammer 40,000: Darktide only get 2X performance boosts, but the UE5 demo and F1 22 aren't far from 3X increases, while the Unity demo and Cyberpunk 2077 are close to 4X increases.

CD Projekt RED's game will soon be updated with the Overdrive Mode, which adds more complex RT calculations. In Overdrive Mode, the GeForce RTX 4090 runs 4X faster with DLSS 3 enabled, while Racer RTX is around 4.5X, Justice is almost at 5X, and Portal RTX isn't far from a 6X performance boost.

DLSS-3-Performance-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Reading about Displaced micro-mesh (DMM) on techpowerup article really catches my interest.
It's no continuous LOD solution, but discrete proxy meshes with displacement might work well enough in practice, and i could easily generate the data.

I wonder how they intend to expose this. Extensions to DirectX and Vulkan?
Or NVAPI, so AAA only?

Nvidia is usually very good about offering Vulkan extensions, but with DirectX I really don't know how that would work.

Make it a 'potential future feature', like Intels Traversal Shaders? : /
Anyway, I'd be fine with Vulkan Extensions.

Open source and cross platform.​

Micro-meshes are available to all developers, may be used across platforms, API’s and independent hardware vendors (IHVs), and are hardware accelerated by GeForce RTX 40 Series GPUs.

Across platforms, APIs and IHVs. I guess it probably works with D3D, otherwise what APIs are they referring to?

How is DLSS 3 frame rates going to be declared in comparison videos?

Currently you might have:

3840x2160 output (2560x1440 CB to 4k) at 60fps

Now imagine DLSS 3:

3840x2160 output (2560x1440 DLSS Quality) at 112fps (56fps actual fps DLSS 3 to 112fps)

Those poor video overlays.

Nvidia is usually very good about offering Vulkan extensions, but with DirectX I really don't know how that would work.

With Direct3D extensions, their "official backdoor" to explicitly accessing more functionality is NVAPI which also includes features like being able to use reBAR memory ...

With Direct3D extensions, their "official backdoor" to explicitly accessing more functionality is NVAPI which also includes features like being able to use reBAR memory ...

So the SDKs for displaced micro-mesh and that other opacity one probably require NVAPI and that's how it's all handled.

When I read the piece and saw those reported temps at 50-57C with full clocks, my first though was was 'well ok guess that's over ambient', but with the chart showing the 3090ti at it's expected 70-75C by comparison, apparently not. That is an astoundingly low temp range for a modern GPU running flat-out, even before counting in DLSS 3.

Of course it's omg xboxone huge, but for a card this expensive and power hungry, I'll give Nvidia kudos for at least seemingly over-engineering the cooling solution. It seems they could have gotten away with maybe even a 2.5 slot cooler but if those temps are accurate, it at doesn't look like it will be difficult to keep these cards very quiet under full load. So points for that.

qr0TiOu.png

@Flappy Pannus That latency is a little tricky because I'm guessing "native" has reflex disabled and DLSS3 has reflex enabled. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's likely. If I had to guess with reflex on the native is probably a bit lower than the dlss.

Cyberpunk-2077-Overdrive-Mode-1100x597.jpg

DLSS-3-Performance-scaled.jpg
So if I'm reading that right, it looks like they roughly doubled native RT performance in Cyberpunk with the 4090. That doesn't seem super impressive given some of the expectations generated in the announcement. Though obviously achieving similar performance with the Overdrive mode is impressive.

'Only' a 2x increase in normal raster. Its a huge leap considering 'moores law is dead'.

When people say "normal raster", they're usually referring to actual, non-reconstructed frames. That chart is 2X over native using DLSS 3 performance, the 2X is just for games that don't emphasize ray tracing. As we have no idea the ultimate quality of DLSS 3 yet, difficult to say it's a "2x increase" in performance. I mean yeah, Flight Sim could definitely show doubled frames - but if it has additional artifacts over DLSS 2 in the process, then is it really 'doubled' if ultimately the end resolution isn't up to snuff?

Actual 'normal raster' increases that have been published so far point towards 50-70% increases, and that's for the 4090 only.

I'll give Nvidia kudos for at least seemingly over-engineering the cooling solution. It seems they could have gotten away with maybe even a 2.5 slot cooler but if those temps are accurate, it at doesn't look like it will be difficult to keep these cards very quiet under full load. So points for that.
I think most of (including FE) the RTX 4090's cooler is designed for >600W overclocking headroom. So within the default TGP range it shows great cooling efficiency.

I will gladly use DLSS performance mode when it doesn't break up in motion. As it stands, I don't use anything else other than Quality and whatever is below Balanced might as well not exist.

I will gladly use DLSS performance mode when it doesn't break up in motion. As it stands, I don't use anything else other than Quality and whatever is below Balanced might as well not exist.
It's great for FPS charts for marketing though (the same for FSR etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back