Game development presentations - a useful reference

Inspiring work from Tomasz, the scene at the end is such a flex, love it! :yes:

Excellent write up too. Apparently that’s the simplified version but it sailed miles above my head.

We’re definitely in the era of “ray tracing hacks” given the need to be super smart about using limited ray budgets for real time GI. Hopefully this coming generation of hardware can do at least 1 ray per pixel for each lighting pass (shadows, reflections, GI).

Microsoft Game Dev uploaded a bunch of videos around a week ago, and I watched this one "Creating Portals in Unreal for Psychonauts 2" and thought it was great.

I'm sure many of you have already seen talks about portals in games, but I thought the effect when it was used was particularly well done in Psychonauts 2. The creativity and variety the levels in these games can have from one room to the next lends itself well to doing interesting things with them.

Deals with solving the issues of changes in gravity and object clipping in the portal.. Also interesting to see that as you pass through them while both areas are rendered, the resolution can scale down to 50% on consoles to ensure performance remains stable as you pass through.

Microsoft Game Dev uploaded a bunch of videos around a week ago, and I watched this one "Creating Portals in Unreal for Psychonauts 2" and thought it was great.

I'm sure many of you have already seen talks about portals in games, but I thought the effect when it was used was particularly well done in Psychonauts 2. The creativity and variety the levels in these games can have from one room to the next lends itself well to doing interesting things with them.

Deals with solving the issues of changes in gravity and object clipping in the portal.. Also interesting to see that as you pass through them while both areas are rendered, the resolution can scale down to 50% on consoles to ensure performance remains stable as you pass through.

Nanite (or other similar meshlet-like gemotry clustering + fast fine-grained culling systems) will probably make the performance hit of usibg portals be relatively smaller. Same aplies for plannar reflections, but RT probably makes that usecase obsolete.

Took them a whole genertation to figure that one out. But a cool development nonetheless. I wish we could have seen more demos. Specially of the more large and dense environments, with zoom ins and outs and such. I guess that will come in die time.
Having watched the presentation I'd say it's still very much work in progress. Overall I find it deeply disappointing because decoupled shading was meant to be a whole new ball game.

Along came ray tracing and nanite, so what hope of relevance is left? I suppose some ray traced acceleration techniques look a lot like decoupled rendering, at a high level...

Brian Karis' HPG 2022 keynote "The Journey to Nanite" has been uploaded. Heard it's a good one where he goes into detail about the initial approaches he attempted and why they failed, eventually working his way to the solution he has today. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but happy it's finally uploaded.

The Slides for Advances in Real-Time Rendering are out!
http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2022/index.html

I am reading through the Ray Tracing in Open Worlds one for UE5 and it is full of really awesome info and details on how Hardware RT was done on PC, XSX and PS5.

Epic went with DXR 1.1 style inline RT which seems to run better on XSX at least. That means no fancy hardware ray sorting which they acknowledge. They also acknowledge the efficiency losses due to divergent threads but it’s not as bad compared to DXR 1.0 overhead.

Hopefully they will test DXR 1.0 on hardware that does support ray sorting for a future presentation.

Back