Future PC Hardware Purchases

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
So it's around that time (more specifically, the pending RXT 4000 series launch) that I start building two brand new gaming and video rendering machines. Of course, I have already locked my PC parts vendor into obtaining two RTX FE 4090s and other various parts. I'm still deciding on the CPU (mostly core count), but it will be another AMD Threadripper CPU regardless.

Yours?

My main rig is currently a 5800X and 3080 Ti so I'm not really considering upgrading right now, but if 4090 is reasonably priced (and reasonably easy to get) I may consider getting one. I'm also watching for RDNA 3 but since raytracing performance is important to me, it'll have to be almost as good as 4090 at raytracing for me to consider it.
CPU-wise I'm looking forward to a X3D version of Zen 4. Intel's Raptor Lake (13 series) is also interesting but due to its high power consumption I'm more inclined to go for something like a 7800X3D.

Depending on how much the 4080 is I might jump to it and sell my 3080.
I'm a 3700x but depending on how good of a deal it is might grab a 5700 or something to throw into the board.
Other than that I am trying to lay low with purchases as I just changed jobs

Picked up a 5700X. If you have the cooling and want a bit more out of it, with PDO it's basically a 5800X at about 200Mhz less.
yea, like i said in another thread my board is kinda old however and I think I want at least a second nvme slot. Who knows. I am going to see if I can get my hands on a 4080 if it has enough performance uplift and ram or a navi 3 if that is a viable option. Think my 3080 will be ram limited with games like starfield and the like.

So I got the Powercolor RX 6700 XT today and already returned it. One of its fans would start clicking at times, and it also had significant coil whine even with vsync enabled. The EVGA GTX 960 that I was going to replace is dead silent so it's back in for now. The Radeon was an open box so that must be why it was returned in the first place.

Have any of you seen stuttering or other problems caused by AMD's game overlay?

Last edited:
Last edited:
My i7 4770 is nearing 10 years old.... I wanted to upgrade to Ryzen 5000 but didn't because of the insane prices at the time. I got a 2070 super so that isn't too bad but the fact is if I want to buy something that is a noticable step up from a console I'll have to spend like 2 ~ 2.5 grand. That is not even including a new monitor.

I'm thinking about get a Xbox instead. I only play like 6 games a year anyway and that includes my Switch. Gamespass also seems like a great deal. I'm currently using steam in home streaming to play Control and even though it doesn't look great because of the crap resolution I have to use (I blame my CPU) I notice I don't really care that much anymore.

Only problem is there aren't any series X in Japan...

If I do buy a console, I might end up ditching my desktop and get something like a NUC/minisforum instead. I got my desktop running 24/7 so something a bit more energy efficient would be welcome.

Today, I'm saying that I'm going to hold out on a 4080.

Currently, I'm running a 3080 10GB GPU with a Ryzen 5950 CPU with a Acer Predator 1440p/144Hz monitor. I just have not seen anything wanting to really push my GPU to warrant getting a new one so I'm thinking of sitting this round out. I've always bought a GPU on launch going back the 9xx series and "missed out" on the Ti variants (980Ti, 1080Ti, 20xx Supers) that usually come in the following year. I may try to hold off for that revision this time.

I think my first order of upgrades now is a new monitor to an 38" ultrawide. I'm hoping someone like Dell releases a 38" OLED version of their current 34". Once that releases I can go from there to see what I need to maintain performance.

Its that with hardware these days, same for the consoles theres no true incentive to upgrade for a handfull of games that make use it.

I decided to buy a second hand RTX 2080 to replace the GTX 960. Seems more worthwhile than a RX 6600 XT that's more expensive and I lost the will to go up to the next tier heh. It's one of the curious models with a blower cooler that Silent Buddha would surely approve of. So that will be interesting.

Last edited:
My i7 4770 is nearing 10 years old.... I wanted to upgrade to Ryzen 5000 but didn't because of the insane prices at the time. I got a 2070 super so that isn't too bad but the fact is if I want to buy something that is a noticable step up from a console I'll have to spend like 2 ~ 2.5 grand. That is not even including a new monitor.

I'm thinking about get a Xbox instead. I only play like 6 games a year anyway and that includes my Switch. Gamespass also seems like a great deal. I'm currently using steam in home streaming to play Control and even though it doesn't look great because of the crap resolution I have to use (I blame my CPU) I notice I don't really care that much anymore.

Only problem is there aren't any series X in Japan...

If I do buy a console, I might end up ditching my desktop and get something like a NUC/minisforum instead. I got my desktop running 24/7 so something a bit more energy efficient would be welcome.

Probably Japan Xbox stock are being hooovered by gray markets.

The Xbox Series in Indonesia mostly are gray imported form Japan.

I've a 10920x, oc to 4.6-5ghz depending on the cores used, and a 3090ti. I don't see myself upgrading the gpu soon. I'm very happy with the cpu too, but I'm curious about a potential intel come back to HEDT.

My futur upgrade will probably be a nvme ssd for gaming once direct storage is here, since I've only sada ssds for now.

I was looking at upgrading but now looking to sell up, I've just lost all enthusiasm for modern PC hardware now and as I have several retro PC's that I prefer I'm thinking of selling all the modern stuff and stick to retro builds.

My most recent purchase was an EVGA (RIP) 680i motherboard, QX6700 and 4Gb DDR2 and I'm more excited to get this then I am any of the new hardware that due out imminently.

Back