Movie Reviews 2.0

I saw Thor: Love & Thunder yesterday. It's nowhere near as good as Ragnarok was. It is too silly, but the bigger problem was lack of any sort of true highlights in plot or action scenes... Christian Bale's character honestly just wasn't all that great, Hela was more interesting (by far). This one feels smaller in scale and just doesn't hit homeruns all that often.

It is still entertaining and I had good time with it, much of the humour hit me fine and surprisingly the lady Thor thing actually worked pretty well, that arc felt good to me. The other stuff was mostly just ok...

I'll give it 3.25/5. goodish

Curiously during the trailers the electricity went out in the theater and in a large section of the mall I was in, took about 25min to get things rolling again. It didn't bother me that much and everyone in the theater got 2 free movie vouchers so ended up being a cheap showing for me :)

Last edited:
I saw Thor: Love & Thunder yesterday. It's nowhere near as good as Ragnarok was.
I saw it today, and maybe things have improved in one day because I'd say it felt more balanced than Ragnarök was, even with all the silliness. The goats were almost too much though...

Curiously, in our show the movie was paused as well halfway through due to a medical emergency.

Comedy isn't Natalie Portman's strongest field, so IMO it was a good move to intentionally make her a bit awkward. It was overall even more fun than Ragnarök. On dramatic side, I thought Bale was pretty good on Marvel villain scale. I loved Cate Blanchett as Hela, but seriously Hela didn't really get much to do in that film. Ragnarök suffered from the long Sakaar part, making the film feel disjointed. Love and thunder wasn't exactly coherent either, but I liked it better.

Last edited:
i just watched lightyear and... im confused with a few things

Where is the scene that made my homophobic country banned lightyear? simply because it was showing a family with both female parents?

Isnt the movie in old trailers was shown as Lightyear = a movie in the buzz' world? so we are watching a movie inside of a movie? Or I'm misremembering things?

gray man...somewhat formulaic , but shows ryan gosling in a different light and he is good in the film. Plays a man with serious intent, and yet has moments of good deadpan/dry wit. Good action scenes too as you'd expect from the russo brothers.

I saw Elvis today.
(I've been waiting for a chance to say that)

For the first third or so I was cursing the idiot that hired Baz Luhrmann for the film - I hate his cinematic schtick. But luckily it got better; incidentally I saw Bohemian Rhapsody only recently as well, and I might even say I liked this film better in the end.

No reviews for the planned Batgirl movie which is apparently so irrideemably bad that Warner Bros are going to stop any release, anywhere, and use it as a tax write off!

Given that plenty of expensive, irrideemably bad movies get a release, this is an odd move!

No reviews for the planned Batgirl movie which is apparently so irrideemably bad that Warner Bros are going to stop any release, anywhere, and use it as a tax write off!

Given that plenty of expensive, irrideemably bad movies get a release, this is an odd move!

Discovery is putting their stamp on everything on the new Warner Brothers Discovery. It seems they're looking to only have Discovery content such as unscripted series that are cheap to produce yet expensive to subscribe to the streaming service. This is very profitable for them.

They plan to kill off HBOMax and move all the HBO content onto their Discovery+ streaming service. They already killed off several HBO Scandanavian / Eastern Europe series, some of them were about set to start production on the next season. They even went as far to remove HBO Original content from HBOMax just so they could sell streaming rights to other companies in those areas.

I would not be surprised if they even stopped producing the blockbuster series like House of the Dragon and Westworld within the next 3 years.

HBO as we know it is dead. They are focusing strictly on US, UK, and Spain content because of the profit margins of those areas. They think original content from other areas are not a draw.

They also killed off this other movie that was nearly entirely finished, Scooby Holiday Haunt.

One of the reasons I heard they killed off Batgirl despite it being complete (and being planed as direct to stream title) is "for tax purposes". The write offs they can claim for it when cancelled was probably more than what they calculated it releasing would bring in.

It's all about the profit so the people, the projects, and the art be damned.

This is just sad to see happen anywhere --

HBO Max is expected to layoff around 70% of their development staff. “Sounds like they’re not doing HBO Max scripted shows anymore with HBO taking over, so less scripted shows overall,” says one company insider.

This is just sad to see happen anywhere --

Chance for other streaming platform with lots of money to burn (Disney?) to recruit them.

Chance for other streaming platform with lots of money to burn (Disney?) to recruit them.

The select capitalisation in the article title "Speculation Is on Fire Around HBO Max’s Future, Planned Layoffs in Major Streaming Shake-Up" is giving me a seizure. :runaway:

Anybody seen Prey (2022 predator movie) yet?

Saw it yesterday and it is best Predator movie for a while.
It would have been fine as standalone movie with original monster as well.
We just finished watching it and I couldn't agree more. It's a great predator movie and the perfect length.

Back