Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Is there a reason why more games don't use capsule shadows? It looks so convincing without all the ugly artifacts of SSAO.
Capsule shadows do not always necessarily do micro-self-shadowing like SSAO can do, so it is used often in tandem with some SSAO. Also it scales on a per-object basis for cost, while SSAO is flat usually based on resolution.
There are other reasons as well - SSAO passes can be used for things other than just the SSAO effect.

Stray. There is a big difference of sharpness between PS4 and Pro. PS4 is obviously using some kind of reconstruction to reach 1080p. PS5 version is performing very well here as it's pushing usually 8x more pixels than Pro.

xNqKClr.png

As suspected, PS4 version of Stray can render way below Pro 1080p resolution: down to 720p according to VGTech (Pro being locked at 1080p). And what about those frame-time spikes on Pro and PS4 (respectively 350ms and 483ms)? Except if Playstation consoles have shader compilation issues that's very likely caused by classic I/O or streaming issues and are also probably seen on PC.

Last edited:
Last generation Consoles should not have any shader compilation issues as it is an entirely static hardware set and the dev tools should produce what's needed so nothing happens like shader compilation.

Sort of nuts how this game can be run as a movie.

With no player intervention? What does it do for key choice moments that impact story?

I'll definitely be picking this up when it's cheaper. Despite not being in horror-jump-scare games, I really liked Until Dawn. But this is just too like Until Dawn, it's the same game in a different setting with different characters with different monsters.

With no player intervention? What does it do for key choice moments that impact story?
You can actually choose how it turning out.
There is two premade choices where everyone survive or die.

Then there is custom choice where you can choose how each main character act. (How clumsy, how they react during dialogue and how carefully yhey search surroundings.)

Movie is quite long as it shows every action outside walking bits and there doesn't seem to be option to skip scenes.

Then there is custom choice where you can choose how each main character act. (How clumsy, how they react during dialogue and how carefully yhey search surroundings.)

This is fascinating approach. I wonder how much sales they will make from people who are not massively into these sorts of games but who will enjoy this is an interactive movie.

He is saying you need about a 3700 to have slighty better PS5 performance (for the GPU). But the game needs a powerfull CPU to work at PS5 levels when traveling around the city.

he says you need a 3080 or 3070 class of gpu to have a slightly better performance or even at times the same. :D

Who wants to bet that Alex will find a completely different level of performance ? And actually show it on screen. nx is more on the line of saying things but not showing them

he says you need a 3080 or 3070 class of gpu to have a slightly better performance or even at times the same. :D

Who wants to bet that Alex will find a completely different level of performance ? And actually show it on screen. nx is more on the line of saying things but not showing them
Usually NXGamer makes his statements by using a wide range of gameplay scenes (which is harder to show on screen as he would use fps averages of scenes). Often I have seen Alex making a comparison by using a unique scene (often a cutscene). It's obvious in this case their conclusions would be quite different.

There is also the vsync setting that is different, NXGamer is always vsyncing ON the PC game if the PS5 game has it.

I've been looking forward to seeing what spin he puts on this one and I must say, this might just be he wackiest video yet.

So do be clear, he's saying (without any evidence whatsoever of matching settings) that in this heavily ray traced game you need an RTX 3070 to MATCH the PS5's performance.

On top of that he's also saying that it's basically impossible to achieve 60fps on the PC whiel traversing due to "data transfer limitations" (its a PS4 game).

I'm gonna hold off for Alex's analysis before taking this one apart.

Back