Formula 1 - 2022 Season

Peter Windsor said of quali that teams with less downforce are scrubbing their tires throughout the lap, gaining more (presumably surface) temp and thus grip and pace. This seems to have translated to the race, which was similarly cloudy and “cold.” (Pirelli’s min pressure for the tires was in the teens, vs. some races where it’s well into the twenties.) Ferrari seem to have the most downforce thus don’t warm their tires up as quickly (and suffer less thermal degradation, which was not a factor in this race). That’s why putting the hards on Charles at any point in this race was baffling, though we don’t know their tire situation (they didn’t have any other lightly-used softs or mediums?).

The F1 post-race show had a good graphic of the tire stints, and a lot of interviews mentioned cars on similar stints with dissimilar outcomes (i.e., Sainz vs. Lewis).

I believe the penalty for going a bit over the budget limit is financial, oddly, so the rich teams can afford it. They also approved a ~3% budget increase this year because inflation. It does seem like RB can stop developing this year’s car and start focusing on next’s sooner than Ferrari.

In other news, Alonso is off to Aston Martin next season. I guess that means Alpine will be announcing patriasi (or how it's spelled) soon.

Not sure he'll be enjoying his time there, doesn't seem AM is moving forward much. I guess at least he's getting a fat paycheck.

Hungary race was good. Front runners were running fairly close for a fair part of the race.

Ferrari strategists again showed they are beyond clueless. I mean everyone can make a mistake. Or just be not that good at what they are doing. But Ferrari seems to be actively trying to make the worst decisions they possibly can.

so alonso at aston martin ... lance stroll getting beat even harder. how will papa stroll feel about that?

so alonso at aston martin ... lance stroll getting beat even harder. how will papa stroll feel about that?

He'll be perfectly OK with it. He's probably realistic enough that by now he knows Lance isn't ever going to be WDC unless he's got a magical car.

Much easier to keep up appearances when losing to multiple WDC drivers than losing to non WDC drivers.

Also with the apparent massive increase of value of teams and the budget cap, it probably means he's not really having to spend much of his own money to keep Lance racing.

And to be fair to Lance, he's not completely horrible.

He'll be perfectly OK with it. He's probably realistic enough that by now he knows Lance isn't ever going to be WDC unless he's got a magical car.

Much easier to keep up appearances when losing to multiple WDC drivers than losing to non WDC drivers.

Also with the apparent massive increase of value of teams and the budget cap, it probably means he's not really having to spend much of his own money to keep Lance racing.

And to be fair to Lance, he's not completely horrible.
no thats true, lance isnt crashing his car every race

but remember otmar saying the lawrence approved crap about lance being so great? thats the kind of environment aston is

Waiting for Drive to Survive to see the behind the scenes at Aston. Also curious about Williams and Haas as to how they are doing as well. I want to see the story of Mazepin for the season and the lead up to turf and Kevin returning.

The Force India event was interesting to say the least.

The new season of Drive to Survive its going to be awesome. With everything that is going on at Ferrari, Redbull dominating Vettel quitting Merc struggling to win oh boy ... so much content

More on the tires bit, some more graphics of the tires swaps timings, inventory, selection etc.
Interesting watch if you need to get caught up or are looking for more data points.

are we into too silly territory now?
I feel like we must be close. Vettel left, Alonso switched. We have Oscar now making statements, and Alpine jumping the gun.

McLaren have both Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo signed up for next year, but Ericsson believes the Australian will be sensationally replaced by Alpine reserve driver Oscar Piastri. That would then spark a huge shift in the driver line-up throughout the grid with Ricciardo tipped to join Kevin Magnussen at Haas.

oh man. If Danny is with Haas... oh man, silly season has begun!

I thought Ferrari like Mick. Where does that leave him, unless Kevin decided he’s had enough of F1? And I doubt Haas would pay Danny’s exorbitant salary, unless McLaren buys out most of his contract to get Piastri.

Joe Saward speculated that McLaren might weave Danny into a three-way deal with Ganassi Racing, with whom they’re involved in a similar driver drama in IndyCar: ”One imaginative solution (which perhaps McLaren had thought about) is for McLaren to offer Ricciardo to Ganassi, in place of Palou If McLaren agreed to pay Daniel a suitable salary (a lot less than in F1) it would put him into a top IndyCar drive, would leave McLaren with enough to pay Piastri, put Palou into a McLaren IndyCar and secure two hot talents at the same time.” Seems far-fetched for anyone to walk away from both that much money and an F1 drive.

if piastri at mclaren, they may have to pay danny ric and alpine so danny ric to alpine with a lump of cash

I feel like we must be close. Vettel left, Alonso switched. We have Oscar now making statements, and Alpine jumping the gun.

oh man. If Danny is with Haas... oh man, silly season has begun!
Not sure if its going to be that interesting. I don't think Haas will replace Schumacher, most likely Ferrari will have a say in that. Not sure if there is much point in booting Magnussen for Ricciardo either. There's no obvious place for Schumacher to move to either with Alfa Romeo being the only possibility but I don't see why Ferrari would want to bother with that.

The top three teams are locked down. So are Mclaren and Aston Martin and one would assume Alpha Tauri. Maybe he'll swap to Alpine? I don't think they have an obvious replacement for Alonso/Paistri waiting in the wings and Ricciardo is a known quantity for them. Williams doesn't seem to be that keen on keeping Latifi so that might be an option but Williams doesn't exactly seem to be moving forwards.

I cant wait for Ricciardo to go back to alpine / Renault, and then end up beating the McClarens.
With engine dev pretty much stagnant for the time being, I think that being in a constructor team is the smartest move.

The only thing McClaren had going for them is the merc engines, but that no longer seems to be the advantage i used to be.

Back