Intel ARC GPUs, Xe Architecture for dGPUs [2018-2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see the suggested performance deficit being limited to DX11 only tbh.
There are plenty of DX12/VK results where A380 seem to perform just as badly as in DX11 in comparison to Nv/AMD.

I don't really see the suggested performance deficit being limited to DX11 only tbh.
There are plenty of DX12/VK results where A380 seem to perform just as badly as in DX11 in comparison to Nv/AMD.
They split games in 3 tiers ATM
Tier 1: DX12/Vulkan they've had time to optimize
Tier 2: DX12/Vulkan they haven't optimized yet
Tier 3: DX11 and older APIs

They split games in 3 tiers ATM
Tier 1: DX12/Vulkan they've had time to optimize
Tier 2: DX12/Vulkan they haven't optimized yet
Tier 3: DX11 and older APIs
Yeah, well, from TPU's suite there seem to be only two games in tier 1? CP2077 and Metro Exodus (not EE).
Which would be much of a weird choice considering that ER and FH5 are also in there and are much more likely to be played and used for benchmarking in 2022.
Edit: Or Hitman 3, supposedly a game which partnered with Intel.

Intel Arc A380 re-benchmarked: New drivers and the draw calls – API overhead on different platforms

13-API-Vulkan.png

14-API-DirectX12.png

Seems like they are just way behind schedule but had to get it out. I imagine it is Covid related.

It will be interesting to see if AMD and Nvidia have problematic launches.

That new driver installer has behaved well enough for the Gen 9 and 12 IGPs I've installed drivers on.

Last edited:
It'll be difficult for Intel to decide on pricing right on the verge of Lovelace and RDNA3 lineups getting introduced. Granted, these will probably be higher end options than anything Intel is producing, but this still puts downward pricing pressure on the rest of the range, and will shift pricing expectations of consumers for not just existing GPU's, but especially anything new.

Intel's timing is especially bad because these seem to be expected before Lovelace or RDNA3, meaning they cant do an AMD where they reduced Navi 10 pricing before launch in reaction to Turing Super refresh. We're talking a situation where any quick price drop they do in reaction will come after the Intel GPU's are already out and people have already paid the higher price for them. That would be another pretty terrible first impression to set, especially for all the people that had enough faith in Intel to be an early adopter. Would be stupid to piss those people off.

I think they are being rushed out the door before the window of opportunity is gone, without much care to any kind of success other than to get some awareness out there and so they can gain experience. No doubt the next generation is coming along. This year's cards are going to be fun curiosities but it's the wrong choice if you want great gaming value.

The videos above want you to join in and be proud of them as they work hard to make progress. Develop that warm fuzzy delusion that you are helping the underdog hehe. With hardware you need performance today, not tomorrow when the vastly improved next gen hardware is going to replace yours.

Last edited:
I think they are being rushed out the door before the window of opportunity is gone, without much care to any kind of success other than to get some awareness out there and so they can gain experience. No doubt the next generation is coming along. This year's cards are going to be fun curiosities but it's the wrong choice if you want great gaming value.

The videos above want you to join in and be proud of them as they work hard to make progress. Develop that warm fuzzy delusion that you are helping the underdog hehe. With hardware you need performance today, not tomorrow when the vastly improved next gen hardware is going to replace yours.
They are half a year off their original *publicly announced* schedule though.

Not sure if Intel intended the following scenario, but ARC seems to be an appetizer while BattleMage next year will be the main course.
Pretty sure pre-release plans on ARC pricing might already be a lost cause. Pricing on BattleMage will likely fall in step with the Lovelace and RDNA3 price tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back