ARM Immortalis GPU - mobile with Hardware RayTracing

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Caught this from TW's tweet:

get ready for Android games with ray tracing 👀 Arm’s new Immortalis GPU is the first with hardware ray tracing for Android gaming. Arm is preparing for a transition to ray tracing in mobile gaming, and the first phones arrive in early 2023. Details here:

ARM's blog entry about it:

Immortalis is designed for the very best flagship smartphones coming to the market, with gaming excellence at the heart of the design. Immortalis-G715 delivers ultimate gaming experiences with the highest performance and very best graphics features. One of these features is ray tracing, with Immortalis-G715 being the first Arm GPU to offer hardware-based Ray Tracing support on mobile.

Oh man, all the questions. Probably the largest of which for me would be power draw and related thermal output...

Oh man, all the questions. Probably the largest of which for me would be power draw and related thermal output...
Ray Tracing is rather slow? So perhaps power draw or thermal output are unaffected here. Often we cross difficulty of workload with being the same as saturation. What often drives up the power draw and thermal workloads is really FPS. You hit the entire pipeline more times per second the higher the frame rate. RT only adds a singular additional step in a pipeline.

Most modern smartphone games aren't utilizing modern rendering features such as SSR and SSAO, so Raytracing handles these in one step. That's why the difference in visual quality should be even bigger than on PC.

Really hope Qualcomm's next SoC features HW-RT and AV1.

What we need now is Kishonti and co. to add a new benchmark with a reasonable portion of ray tracing and the same test to also run under their low level battery lifetime tests.

Caught this from TW's tweet:
First? In reality they were 3rd of 4 competitors (IMG, AMD, Arm, only Qualcomm is still missing out)
Arm themselves said just it's the first Arm GPU with RT, so the mistake is Warrens alone.

Reading the blog post they state that RT only uses 4% of the shader core area, so are they using GPU Compute like AMD RDNA2?
Doesn't indicate one way or another.

Last edited:
Since when does anyone care what marketing touts in cases like that? Everyone is always first at nothing and if it's worth anything what should matter is which device first appeared with hw RT in the given case, which is Samsung (with AMD GPU IP) (yawns are for free so be my guest).

Reading the blog post they state that RT only uses 4% of the shader core area, so are they using GPU Compute like AMD RDNA2?

No idea frankly, but I'd be very surprised also if RT hw takes up a sizeable portion of the GPU die estate for any current announced RT implementation.

Qualcomm announced that the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 supports hardware ray tracing.

They've shown some really impressive RT demos running on this thing.

If that is an indication of what's to come, then there might be some good times ahead.

Back