NVidia Ada Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

So a simpler 4070 on a considerably more advanced process and with G6 instead of G6X will presumably consume as much as 3080 10GB? :unsure:
These watts continue to not make any sense to me.

So a simpler 4070 on a considerably more advanced process and with G6 instead of G6X will presumably consume as much as 3080 10GB? :unsure:
These watts continue to not make any sense to me.

kopite is all over the place on Ada rumors. So much for being a reliable leaker.

The rumoured count of SMs is more important than the count of active lanes in a product. After all, NVidia fiddles with active lanes pretty much willy-nilly.

oh oh an OEM little bird just told me that, from latest IHV marketing material, AD104 has better claimed efficiency than Navi 33. I know, it's the opposite of what the leakers are saying but my source is solid. Don't ask for more, that's all I have for you today....

nvidia ampere efficiency slide.jpg

If we're talking just 'claimed' efficiency....remember.

That said, there's nothing hard to believe about it on the surface. Nvidia are gonna be making an enormous process leap with Lovelace, and have a great history of pushing architectural efficiency when it's a priority. Perhaps things will look different at the top end if AMD truly are going with multiple graphics tiles(which is in question now), but in terms of these midrange products, I can see AD104 winning the efficiency crown over Navi 33.

Most of the rumors of RDNA3 having better efficiency than Lovelace tended to stem from talk about the high end flagship parts, where Navi 31 was supposed to be this twin GPU beast, and Nvidia would have to push power and clocks on AD102 to ridiculous new levels to try and stay competitive in performance due to still being monolithic. Heck, even by the old rumors, Navi 33 was not only supposed to be monolithic like Lovelace, but it was also said to only be TSMC 6nm. I'm not treating that as gospel, but if that were to be the case, then there should be no question at all that AD104 will be more efficiency than Navi 33.

I saw that but “it can be done” isn’t a confirmation of the intent of his prior post. Either way it seems real info is a few weeks away.
No silicon has been sent out to any AIB yet. Only preliminary technical material for PCB design, power delivery, mechanical mounting and thermal solution. That's where the current leaks come from. Before the official architecture announcement, don't except much more...

No silicon has been sent out to any AIB yet. Only preliminary technical material for PCB design, power delivery, mechanical mounting and thermal solution. That's where the current leaks come from. Before the official architecture announcement, don't except much more...

Does that mean no Q3 launch?

High clocks would somewhat explain the TDPs.
Assuming a similar boost clock for 4070 that would put it at ~40TFlops or about 2X of 3070.
It would still be a sizeable perf/watt gain (+40% or so) on 3070 even at 300W.
Would also put it at about the same performance as a 3090Ti (450W).

These memory interface numbers, of course, could be due to that it's difficult to get more memory bandwidth for now, but the regression on 4080 and 4070 compared to 3080 and 3070 seem to suggest either 3080 and 3070 aren't using these memory bandwidth efficiently, or 4080 and 4070 are better at memory bandwidth efficiency (for example, with larger cache).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back