GPU Ray Tracing Performance Comparisons [2021-2022]

I suppose everyone will finally upgrade when they buy second hand 3060’s off miners. If not well that’s a lot of potential sales left on the table for any game dev.

Yeah I think a lot of those will be replaced over the next 12 months with GPU prices returning to normal and the next gen launching. I'd wager that most people that are still using Pascal/Vega/GCN at that point don't care much about high end gaming anyway. RDNA is an unfortunate outlier but I doubt there are enough of them to make a difference.

Yeah I think a lot of those will be replaced over the next 12 months with GPU prices returning to normal and the next gen launching. I'd wager that most people that are still using Pascal/Vega/GCN at that point don't care much about high end gaming anyway. RDNA is an unfortunate outlier but I doubt there are enough of them to make a difference.

That’s the thing. Just because a game is new doesn’t mean it’s high end or geared towards expensive rigs. There will be a lot of Pascal owners playing Starfield.

Keep in mind, you're talking about six quarters here, not five (Q4 2020, Q1 2021, Q2 2021, Q3 2021, Q4 2021, Q1 2022)

JPR says that addin card shipments for Q4 of 2020 was 11 million add-in cards, and then the subsequent four quarters of 2021 tallied ~50 million add-in cards. There's a nice history graph from JPR posted here on Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/jpr-q3-2021-desktop-discrete-gpu-shipments. The shipped add-in cards for first quarter of FY22 was another 13.4 million: https://www.techspot.com/news/94860-graphics-card-shipments-increased-32-yoy-q1-but.html

So, 11M in Q4 2020... 50M in all of FY2021... 13.4M in Q1 2022 -- math says that's 74.4M shipped cards if we take these numbers at face value. Guess there's rounding error in there somewhere, I'd reason the 50M in FY2021 was rounded up?

73.5 million add-in cards for those six quarters seems well researched and established to me, given the people whose job it is to know these things are in agreement.
Thanks for being patient.

What's muddying the water for me is laptop sales, supposedly 50% of gaming graphics sales and NVidia's gaming revenue of $3.6B:

so does "desktop discrete" include laptops (non-integrated)? If so, then that's about $330 per GPU revenue for NVidia, if not, $165 per GPU. Those figures are low, suggesting that a lot of non-RT cards are being sold (1050, 1650 variants?).

Also, "Nvidia estimates that about one-third of the GeForce Gaming GPU installed base is now on RTX".

Is this the same Nvidia who has recently been fined for lying about how many GPU's they sold to miners? 👀
You mean these miners?

That's quite a lot don't you think? Likely more than the installed base of new console h/w.
Agreed on both.

If RT-only lighting makes it easier to ship a game, then shipping such a game on PS5, as a single platform, is even easier, even if it's a timed-exclusive.

I think this may turn out to be moot though, since Unreal Engine 5 looks like it will be the "backdoor" to "pure RT, no raster" games. I hope this is true, I want the beautiful lighting that UE5 easily brings to games along with scalable performance. Some decry the death of proprietary game engines (I used to) but I welcome a UE5-based future.

so does "desktop discrete" include laptops (non-integrated)? If so, then that's about $330 per GPU revenue for NVidia, if not, $165 per GPU. Those figures are low, suggesting that a lot of non-RT cards are being sold (1050, 1650 variants?).

Also, "Nvidia estimates that about one-third of the GeForce Gaming GPU installed base is now on RTX".
The "desktop discrete" wording seems to strongly suggest "not laptops" in my own personal opinion. I'd also consider that revenue on a per-GPU basis is correlated with which SKU they're selling -- the margins on an x050 chip are highly likely to be thinner than the margins on an x080ti right? Keeping in mind the expected (hahahahaha) MSRP on the completed cards, I dunno maybe these margins make perfect sense?

The 3080Ti is 30% faster than 6900XT in Resident Evil 3 Remake with Ray Tracing, at both 1080p and 1440p, strangely that advantage collapses to just 18% @2160p.

The 3080Ti is 30% faster than 6900XT in Resident Evil 3 Remake with Ray Tracing, at both 1080p and 1440p, strangely that advantage collapses to just 18% @2160p.

Might be a driver issue with that title or the way the engine is allocating VRAM.
There's no reason I can think of for this to be the case:

Attachments

• RE3-vram.PNG
    RE3-vram.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 16
What happens at 1440p?
Have not checked this, but you can see how 1080p upscaled reflections with bicubic filtering in REVIII look better vs native ingame 4K reflections in this post

You mean these miners?

Which has nothing to do with Nvidia reporting misleading sales numbers, the same numbers people are trying to use in here as 'evidence'

It has everything to do with where these cards reported as sold by Nvidia are being used now.

No they're not, eBay and Facebook are literally full of adverts for used RTX cards or full mining rigs containing multiple RTX cards that miners can't sell on.

There's over 150 GPU's for sale in mining rigs just on this one eBay page alone.

Sso no, they're not being used right now, they're still very much in the ownership of miners and not gamers.

Last edited:
No they're not, eBay and Facebook are literally full of adverts for used RTX cards or full mining rigs containing multiple RTX cards that miners can't sell on.

People don't want to buy GPU's that have been used for mining so no, they're not being used right now, they're still very much in the ownership of miners and not gamers.
Sure. So all these sales aren't happening and people won't buy some 3090 for a $100 because it was used for mining. Also GPU prices are never coming down back to MSRP.

Sure. So all these sales aren't happening and people won't buy some 3090 for a $100 because it was used for mining. Also GPU prices are never coming down back to MSRP.

You tried to claim that all the GPU's now available due to the mining crash were now in the hands of gamers.

I have proven to you they are not.

They're still very much in the ownership of miners and not gamers.

We do not know the true sales numbers from Nvidia due them lying, so using the false and incorrect numbers Nvidia reported voids all discussion about them.

You can now flip flop or try and move the goal posts all you like by talking about MSRP or some other useless thing that has nothing to do with what we've been speaking about over the last2-3 replies.

I am done.

Do you know what "proof" is?

You claimed the GPU's now being sold due to the mining crash we now being used.

I showed you a single eBay page containing over 150 GPU's for sale from miners and across all the sales pages on eBay there are thousands upon thousands of GPU's still in the hands on miners and not being used like you claimed.

Therefore I have proven your claim to be incorrect as if they were being used now there wouldn't literally be thousands upon thousands of ex-mining GPU's for sale in the used market would there? They would all be in gaming PC's being used wouldn't they?

Don't make silly claims and they won't get called out for being bullshit.

You have no counter argument so I'm adding you to the wonderful ignore list.

Back