Final Fantasy XVI (FF16) [PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
:/

I liked FF15 a lot because of the world. But I play FF mostly for the story, so, If it's good, I'll be ok. And don't be just corridors...

I dont play FF anymore, last was the PS2 era. When i hear Fintal Fantasy its open world, its what made it intresting back then, its a departure to go linear for the series.

I liked FF15 a lot because of the world. But I play FF mostly for the story, so, If it's good, I'll be ok. And don't be just corridors...

Ff7 remake showed that corridors can be good. Still feels limiting and cramped. But at least not as claustrophobic as call of duty or xenogears sewers

XVI is going for open zone maps since full open world would drastically take up more time and money for telling the grand story that spans across the globe that they want to tell. So while XVI won't be open world with that level of freedom like XV, it also won't be corridor linear like VII Remake.

Some recent interview quotes from Yoshida:

1. With this, Yoshida came to the conclusion that open-world was not suited for what they were aiming for.
  2. If they had 15 years or something, then maybe it would have been possible(?). However, to create an expansive story on a global scale as an open-world game was near impossible in terms of time and cost.
  3. He thought that this was something that would definitely cause issues in development, so when they decided to focus on creating a cinematic game, he told the team that open world was not necessary.
  4. Although it's not open world, there are 4 major maps that's kinda like one.
  5. Yoshida admits that their may be people who are disappointed that's not open world, but to put the story as the forefront, expanding on a global scale, this was the best choice to make.

4Gamer:.
 Is it correct to say that the progression of the game will be linear like FFXIII, rather than free exploration like FFXV?

Mr. Yoshida:
 Yes. The game is more like a super high-speed roller coaster. However, it is not the case that all the fields are small, and about four of them are quite large. In the fields, there are subquests that help you learn more about the world, "mob hunts" in which you are asked to defeat hidden boss-like monsters, and crafting of weapons and armor by procuring materials from the monsters.

Last edited:
I dont play FF anymore, last was the PS2 era. When i hear Fintal Fantasy its open world, its what made it intresting back then, its a departure to go linear for the series.
FF10 wasnt open world. Plus majority of FF games were pseudo openworld. They had locations with somewhat linear gameplay with a world map much later on to access those separate locations with linear gameplay. By majority the games progressed linearly. I d say of all FF games minus the online games,15 (and maybe 12) were the only real open world FF15 games

I trust Yoshi P to do a good job with FFXVI. He's basically turned FFXIV from a joke (Ugh that BETA and 1.0 launch) into the absolute best Final Fantasy game ever created. FFXIV 2.0 relaunch was still uneven but it's only gotten better with each new major expansion. And the storytelling is so incredibly good for the main story. Hell, even some of the side stories beat the pants off the main stories of many AAA games.

If the "maps" are as large as some of FFXIV's world maps, they'll be larger than many people would expect when they think of non-open world zones in single player games.

Basically, if it's structured like a small scale FFXIV (FFXIV itself is larger than any current open world game not named No Man's Sky) with more focused storytelling (IE - it doesn't need all the busy work that you find in an MMORPG) then this could be an epically good FF game.

I always tell people that FFXIV is the single best single player Final Fantasy game you can play even if it's an MMORPG (you can experience pretty much all of it like a single player game). It beats the pants off of any other FF game ever made. However, not everyone can sit down and dedicate 100's of hours of their life to experience the story which has been crafted over a period of 9 years. Consider that each major expansion adds 10's of hours of main story gameplay. Then before the next major expansion there are usually 3-4 free story related updates that add more 10's of hours of main story gameplay.

So, if this has the quality of FFXIV's storytelling in a more condensed traditional single player game format, then gamers are potentially in for something truly special with FFXVI.

[edit] - I just noticed this is the FFVII remake thread. Why are we talking so much about FFXVI in here? :D

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I trust Yoshi P to do a good job with FFXVI. He's basically turned FFXIV from a joke (Ugh that BETA and 1.0 launch) into the absolute best Final Fantasy game ever created. FFXIV 2.0 relaunch was still uneven but it's only gotten better with each new major expansion. And the storytelling is so incredibly good for the main story. Hell, even some of the side stories beat the pants off the main stories of many AAA games.

If the "maps" are as large as some of FFXIV's world maps, they'll be larger than many people would expect when they think of non-open world zones in single player games.

Basically, if it's structured like a small scale FFXIV (FFXIV itself is larger than any current open world game not named No Man's Sky) with more focused storytelling (IE - it doesn't need all the busy work that you find in an MMORPG) then this could be an epically good FF game.

I always tell people that FFXIV is the single best single player Final Fantasy game you can play even if it's an MMORPG (you can experience pretty much all of it like a single player game). It beats the pants off of any other FF game ever made. However, not everyone can sit down and dedicate 100's of hours of their life to experience the story which has been crafted over a period of 9 years. Consider that each major expansion adds 10's of hours of main story gameplay. Then before the next major expansion there are usually 3-4 free story related updates that add more 10's of hours of main story gameplay.

So, if this has the quality of FFXIV's storytelling in a more condensed traditional single player game format, then gamers are potentially in for something truly special with FFXVI.

[edit] - I just noticed this is the FFVII remake thread. Why are we talking so much about FFXVI in here? :D

Regards,
SB
I've never played FFXIV but I have strong doubts on it being superior to FF6.

Hopefully it'll be much more streamlined than ff14.

I instantly got information overload with ff14 and just can't play.

Felt very confusing like Destiny 2, but even worse. But maybe that's because I still regularly play destiny 2. If I didn't regularly play destiny 2, probably these two games are pretty much equivalent in confusing me.

ROFL sony so afraid of the backlash between their LOL-worthy reasoning of microsoft buying activision, they put FFXVI exclusivity deal in small print in a video promoting DS.

ROFL

ROFL sony so afraid of the backlash between their LOL-worthy reasoning of microsoft buying activision, they put FFXVI exclusivity deal in small print in a video promoting DS.

ROFL
Funny comment but I doubt it has anything to do with a regulator potentially watching the ad and taking notes on how to deal with the ABK acquisition 😂

It's not small on my screen - are you watching it on a phone? But how can you sell the appeal of timed console exclusivity without selling (making known) timed console exclusivity?

You watched this on your phone didn't you? :LOL:

Why not proudly announce the exclusivity in a standalone trailer, before "merging" it in DS trailer?

Why not proudly announce the exclusivity in a standalone trailer, before "merging" it in DS trailer?
No idea, but common sense tells you that Sony have not spent money on timed exclusivity not to capitalise on timed exclusivity. It's probably just a choice a video editor made, possibly because it was edited on a large screen and looked fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sometimes things are just stupid. Have you looked out the window lately? The world is full of stupid! :yep2:

Wasn't the previous one also timed exclusive that never actually came to other consoles ?
FF XV released simultaneously for PS4 and XB1, the PC version came two years later. FF XIV, the MMO, is still console exclusive to Playstation.

If you mean the remake of FF VII then yes, that's still console exclusive to Playstation. The remake of the FF VII spin-off Crisis Core does release simultaneously for Playstation, Xbox, Switch and PC.

ROFL
I doubt they are afraid of anything. It's just basic business decision, just like Microsoft buying acti. Nothing these companies do is for anything but profit and marketshare so none of their forward facing arguments should be taken seriously. Things lining up with consumer focused sentiment when it comes to that profit motive is completely coincidental.

Which is why I don't give any of them benefit of a doubt on exclusivity and acquisitions. If you want exclusive content build your own studios and make that content yourself. Anything else is just harm to the overall marketplace.

Back