Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I remember with custom config you could have very high settings on dx9 with windows xp, difference vs dx10 wasn't big and performance was better.

The debate isn't about DX9 with Windows XP vs DX10 with Visa.

It's the difference between High and Very High.

Running the custom CVARS in DX9 mode to get the Very High quality settings is still Very High settings.

Last edited:
The debate isn't about DX9 with Windows XP vs DX10 with Visa.

It's the difference between High and Very High.

Running the custom CVARS in DX9 mode to get the Very High quality settings is still Very High settings.
As you could read I quoted post about vh settings being locked for vista and had in my far memory that there were also option to enable it on xp

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...ns-in-house-asura-engine-continues-to-impress

Sniper Elite 5 tech analysis: Rebellion's in-house Asura engine continues to impress​

PS5 and Xbox Series X/S versions tested.

After a five-year wait, Sniper Elite 5 is here. This WW2 stealth shooter delivers gratifying kills and open-ended flexibility, but it's also a rare example of big new title developed on a unique engine: Rebellion's in-house Asura. With promised improvements to asset quality and full support for current-gen consoles, has Rebellion hit its mark? Or have their efforts fallen just short of the target? We looked at the PS5 and Series X/S versions to find out.

Before we get into the deeper technical changes, let's cover the basics. All current-gen console versions use a dynamic resolution, maxing out at 4K on PS5 and Series X and 1440p on Series S. Minimum resolutions were measured at 1440p on PS5, 1656p on Series X and 864p on Series S - although 1080p is more typical.

So far, so standard, but then this base resolution image is cleaned up with post-processed AA, rather than a more standard TAA. That unfortunately results in rather aliased results and stability issues in motion. What looks like AMD's FSR 1.0 technology is used to upscale to the console's final output resolution, which produces a sharper image - albeit one with shimmering in foliage and specular elements.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...pro-or-xbox-enhanced-consoles-this-generation

Do we actually need PS5 Pro or Xbox enhanced consoles this generation?​

And is it economically viable for Sony or Microsoft to actually make them?

PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013 and just three years later, Sony followed it up with the release of both PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation VR - so what are the chances of history repeating itself for the latest console generation? We know that a new virtual reality headset is in offing, but what about a PS5 Pro, or indeed an Xbox Series equivalent? Rumours of enhanced consoles have been floating around for a while now, while a recent press event from TV manufacturer TCL suggests that 'gen 9.5' consoles will launch in 2023/2024 - so what's the likelihood of that actually happening?

Another argument against a PS5 Pro might be foveated rendering. If you thought of the PS4 Pro as spurred by the additional GPU load required by PSVR, foveated rendering may lessen or even obviate the need for VR-specific added rendering load. (I may be talking out of a secondary orifice.)

I don't believe the rumours from the TCL presentation in any way.

Of course TV companies all think we need 8K/120 when really we need fast RT and better image quality and consistent 4K/120.

2025 for new consoles seems like a safe bet, but not to achieve 8k/120 IMO.

Both Sony and Microsoft are in different places when it comes to a 'Pro' version.

Sony only have a single spec for developers to target while Microsoft already have two.

If Sony do release a PS5 Pro would Microsoft really release a third console with yet another set of different specs?

I just think it would be too much to ask o developers as it still involves bug fixed and all that jazz, it would also still be hampered by the 4 Tflop Series-S.

For me to ditch my PS5 and get a Pro model it would have to depend on how much of improvement it would offer in regard to RT performance, I would need to see a 3x improvement on RDNA3 vs DNA2 to justify changing to a Pro model.

Both Sony and Microsoft are in different places when it comes to a 'Pro' version.

Sony only have a single spec for developers to target while Microsoft already have two.

If Sony do release a PS5 Pro would Microsoft really release a third console with yet another set of different specs?

I just think it would be too much to ask o developers as it still involves bug fixed and all that jazz, it would also still be hampered by the 4 Tflop Series-S.

For me to ditch my PS5 and get a Pro model it would have to depend on how much of improvement it would offer in regard to RT performance, I would need to see a 3x improvement on RDNA3 vs DNA2 to justify changing to a Pro model.

Microsoft's argument would likely be along the lines of...

You're probably going to be releasing a PC version of the game which will be scalable across thousands of different hardware configurations. Just ensure that the version you make for Xbox is also scalable.

Regards,
SB

Microsoft's argument would likely be along the lines of...

You're probably going to be releasing a PC version of the game which will be scalable across thousands of different hardware configurations. Just ensure that the version you make for Xbox is also scalable.

Regards,
SB

It's still extra work.

And that doesn't stop it being hampered by Series-S.

It's still extra work.

And that doesn't stop it being hampered by Series-S.

Series-S isn't really hampering anything. It involves extra cost only inasmuch as someone needs to go in and decide what are the best settings to use for it. Regardless of whether the Series-S existed or not, the game engine would still scale down to that level of hardware and lower due to the existence of a PC version.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me at all of Returnal scales down to worse hardware than the XBS-S once it is released on the PC.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back