Astronomy and space exploration

he Pentagon brass are expected to say that it has been a struggle to unearth witness accounts from government workers concerned about job security.
So people who work for the government are worried the government may fire them for obeying the government

Rocket lab finally launched their moonshot after a few delays

This is a satellite that will give near continuous comms with the lunar south pole, I think there is still supposed to be a south pole lander that will communicate with this.
Both being proof of concept for I think the manned landings.

First JWST picture
SMACS0723_nircam-FullRez.jpg

And Hubble one of ~same area
7hKDU5e.jpeg

NASA initially expected that aircraft, the first ever to fly on another planet, would only last a few months before its off-the-shelf hardware failed. And yet, it has flown 29 times and survived a year beyond the original estimate. The new helicopters will act as a secondary method of retrieving samples from the surface.

Put into hibernation last May to spend the Martian winter, it seems that the first Chinese rover on the red planet has not woken up. The teams were waiting to hear from him in December... The orbiter also seems to have some recent problems communicating with the control center.

Unsurprisingly, the launch failed to work properly, as with everything else in this country at present...
I'm not sure that's the right way to think about it. Per SpaceX themselves, they were happy just to see it clear the tower. The expectations of this launch were fairly low, as this is a whole new rocket design and was never fully expected to make it into space. Best way to learn is to keep trying, and exploding a fistful of rockets is entirely part of the plan.

Also, SKY DONUTS for the win! :D

Flight computer. The ship was still attached after it should have bugger off, so the flight computer was "I'll keep trying". Mission control don't do anything except monitor the mission once the rocket launches. The flight termination system that eventually triggered is automated based on set conditions, eg the rocket is leaving the agree flight path window. There's not a big red detonation button in mission control these days.

I always assumed they'd have an 'anomaly' that blows up their launchpad so they can safely cancel it & claim the development $$$ spent as a tax write off or something.
So actually making it off the ground & past Max Q was relatively impressive.

It was a pretty dodgy launch as far as it got though.

Back