Steam Deck - SteamOS, Zen2 4C/8T, RDNA2 1.0-1.6 TF, 16 GB LPDDR5 88 GB/s, starting at $399 [2021-12]

Pretty good video on emulation. Goes over Dreamcast , Sega Saturn, PS1 , PSP , Original Xbox , PS2 , Gamecube, Wii and PS3.

Dreamcast seems to be doing 1080p @60fps just fine
Sega Saturn 2x resolution @60 fps
PSP 4x res @60fps with very few dips
XBOX mixed bag , maybe drivers and some work on the emulator can make it work better
PS2 720p balanced @ 60fps
GC 1440p 60fps
PS3 720p 30fps

Switch game BOTW 720p-30fps , Bayonetta 2 720p 60fps , Mario kart 720p 60fps. You can get BOTW to 50fps but its not stable. Thinks it will get better as the drivers mature and work is done on Cemu.

Should be meaningful for Deck. Opens up the possibilities for longer battery life, higher settings or potentially even 60fps instead of 30fps.

I do not recommend doing this yet as drivers for the Steam Deck's hardware are still being worked on, but you can install Windows on it and run whatever it is you want to run on it, albeit at a likely hit to performance (full Windows versus a gaming oriented distro of Linux).

How to Install Windows on Steam Deck - Swave Digest 2022

If you do choose to do that I'd highly recommend installing Windows to an SD card for now until there are tools that allow you backup the internal SSD. Not a problem if you have NVME device as you should be able to just take the NVME drive out and create a backup from a PC, however that isn't something you can do if you have an eMMC device.

Regards,
SB

I'm not dead set on Windows but the plan was at worst it's a fall back options. Although I also thought about the possibility of using the Steam Deck as basically a mini-PC.

This is a dated reply so obviously the situation has changed for the better on the Windows front. We'll have to see.

Re evaluating the situation it's that getting in early actually is less risky. I didn't expect the demand to be so high, which means even if I find the device isn't for me I'm guessing I can easily resell it used even at cost if not higher. The flip side problem with this for me however is I tend to weigh everything based on opportunity cost which means in mind the Steam Deck is basically a $1000 (!? if not higher) device.

I thought I got in super early. I was ordered within a minute of sign up time.
I think maybe because I’m in Canada

You look up the exact time of ordering and there are estimators that can approximate a queue idea.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me however I remember reserving a 64GB but than cancelled and switched to a 256GB so there had to be some delay when the queue opened yet I'm in Q1 and Canada also.

I'm guessing I'm the most on the fence person on these forums and might get the earliest one? I flip between wanting it and thinking it's not for me every few hours.

I'm not dead set on Windows but the plan was at worst it's a fall back options. Although I also thought about the possibility of using the Steam Deck as basically a mini-PC.

This is a dated reply so obviously the situation has changed for the better on the Windows front. We'll have to see.

Re evaluating the situation it's that getting in early actually is less risky. I didn't expect the demand to be so high, which means even if I find the device isn't for me I'm guessing I can easily resell it used even at cost if not higher. The flip side problem with this for me however is I tend to weigh everything based on opportunity cost which means in mind the Steam Deck is basically a $1000 (!? if not higher) device.

You look up the exact time of ordering and there are estimators that can approximate a queue idea.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me however I remember reserving a 64GB but than cancelled and switched to a 256GB so there had to be some delay when the queue opened yet I'm in Q1 and Canada also.
Dang. It says q2 for me now. Not bad. But not q1. Did you receive your email then ? Or are you still waiting ?

The game informer video was interesting. He said that downloading games in the backround can tank performance of the game your playing

I'm guessing this is a by product of how Steam handles downloads and the APU being relatively TDP constrained. Steam downloads aren't just straight forward downloads but "installs" as it's downloading, this results in a significant amount of CPU resources being used. Being a low TDP APU this would also as a byproduct end up constraining GPU performance as well.

On a desktop you wouldn't typically notice this as most people are well over provisioned in terms of CPU resources for games and the GPU is separate.

Na6KD7L.jpeg

Steam deck preset in Cyberpunk

3ds emulation guide

Major's mask looks really good running at 60fps

There do seem to be some drops here and there but hopefully it can be optimized to get rid of those but the usage of the touch pad being used for the touch screen on the 3ds is pretty interesting.

ETA prime puts android games on the steam deck

Retro Game Corps borrowed one for a deep dive

Last edited:

Using an external gpu through the internal m.2. So far only amd cards work. So he used a 6900xt

Witcher 3 4k ultra @ 100fps
GTA5 4k very high @ 73fps
Elden Ring 1080p maxed out @ 40fps - 4k max would be in the 30fps
Cyber punk 1080p high is all over the place from 30 up to the 80s
God of war 4k ultra @ 37FPS 1080p low settings fidelity fx performance 41fps- super cpu limited

Last edited:

It's an interesting video. I do wonder why they chose windows 10.

The steam deck hardware shows up to the party to play and it looks like your getting Series S effects at a slightly lower resolution.

I really think at 5nm a portable series s is in the bag , esp if you upgrade to zen 4 and rdna 3.

The question we have all been waiting for !

No ... The answer is no , It can't even load the game. But crysis remastered ? Yes it can but at a cost. Will be interesting to see what can be done to make it run better. They settle on 1280x720 medium for everything but post processing (high) and high vegetation first 4 settings at high difficulties with a solid 30fps. Seems like the steam os cap causes some rare issues and its heavily cpu limited. Got 3:30 battery life.

Last edited:
Aya Neo OLED announcement incoming ?

Looks to be as small as the Switch light plus it has an oled screen. Speculation is that it could be powered by a 6600u

The ryzen 5 6600u is
6/12 core/thread zen 3+ base clock 2.9 boosted 4.5
RDNA 2 6cu 1900mhz

Steam deck

4/8 core/thread zen 2 2.4-3.5gh
RDNA 2 8 cu at 1.0-1.6ghz

If it is using this chip then it could be a very interesting handheld

Back