Gran Turismo 7 [PS4, PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
No the lighting conditions are also far too different.

But the more I look at GT7, the more impressed I am. The lighting is really beautiful and I am noticing more details such as nicely animated flags alongside the tracks etc.

I didnt realize GT6 looked so shit, it looks like a PS3 game at 720p framerate looks to be is less than 60fps also, wow thats pretty crap for a ps4 game
Its is ps3 game :d gt sport doesnt have dytona circuit thats why comparison to gt6

Its is ps3 game :d gt sport doesnt have dytona circuit thats why comparison to gt6
whoops, that explains why it looks so bad, huh so there wasnt a GT6 on the ps4, man I knew the developer had started taking longer to make titles but thats pretty lax on their part

OK looked on wiki, It seems as if after the first 3 titles in 5 years their development rate really dropped down, 6 years from GT4->GT5

Gran Turismo 1997 , PS1
Gran Turismo 2 1999, PS1
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec 2001, PS2
Gran Turismo 4 2004, PS2
Gran Turismo 5 2010 PS3
Gran Turismo 6 2013 PS3
Gran Turismo Sport 2017 PS4
Gran Turismo 7 2022[14] PS5

whoops, that explains why it looks so bad, huh so there wasnt a GT6 on the ps4, man I knew the developer had started taking longer to make titles but thats pretty lax on their part

OK looked on wiki, It seems as if after the first 3 titles in 5 years their development rate really dropped down, 6 years from GT4->GT5

Gran Turismo 1997 , PS1
Gran Turismo 2 1999, PS1
Gran Turismo 4 2004, PS2
Gran Turismo 5 2010 PS3
Gran Turismo 6 2013 PS3
they realy struggled to adjust their engine to ps3 for gt5 thats why, gt7 was planned as 2021 game but covid, imo it should be 2020 ps4 game and we should just get ps5 patch sometime in 2021, they dint show imo enough changes to explain 4.5 years of development

I m really curious how their workflow 8s. Us it because its a small team for such a project and as a proud japanese stusio doesnt want to outsource?
GT5 was indeed too ambitious for its own good and if I m not mistaken the team was between 170-250 people. But in general after that it took too many years without an absolute significant improvement. They were cutting features while focusing on refining others

GT5 was one of the only games doing dynamic lighting and weather with real-time shadows while trying to run close to 1080p 60fps during a generation where lighting and entire environment shadows were baked and even unstable 30fps were common. Then in GT6 they added tessellation for car geometry and raised the resolution even higher. Kaz went on to say the PS3 specs made it look like it could do a lot more, but in actuality it took a lot of effort and time trying to achieve what they wanted to do with the the specs due to how difficult it was to program. This was still the most immersive experience I had during the PS3/360 era and the lack of dynamic track conditions were sorely missed in GTSport.

But the more I look at GT7, the more impressed I am. The lighting is really beautiful and I am noticing more details such as nicely animated flags alongside the tracks etc.

Yeah, I'm surprised they managed to get the lighting looking this good especially with dynamic time progression now unlike GTSport static baked lighting conditions considering it's still a cross-gen game. Probably found a way to blend between the ray-traced bakes. There's an airfield near Daytona and you can see a plane taking off too.

gt7daytona4-Untitled.png

gt7daytona5-Untitled.png

gt7daytona3-Untitled.png

gt7daytona6-Untitled.png

GT5 was one of the only games doing dynamic lighting and weather with real-time shadows while trying to run close to 1080p 60fps during a generation where lighting and entire environment shadows were baked and even unstable 30fps were common. Then in GT6 they added tessellation for car geometry and raised the resolution even higher. Kaz went on to say the PS3 specs made it look like it could do a lot more, but in actuality it took a lot of effort and time trying to achieve what they wanted to do with the the specs due to how difficult it was to program. This was still the most immersive experience I had during the PS3/360 era and the lack of dynamic track conditions were sorely missed in GTSport.

How could you drive in complete darkness?

motion blur is is hiding all the grass rendering there. Don't see anything terrible about that shot though. The baked ray-traced lighting from GTSport looks refined and in tact but now there is also dynamic time of day change in addition to dynamic weather and volumetric 3d clouds which looks great. I'm actually wondering how the base PS4 will handle this with the 60fps target.
We've seen the grass in stills elsewhere. It doesn't look good and heavily lacks shadowing.

You dont see anything terrible? The environment looks super flat and dated in general. The cars in GT always look great, that part's never in question. But I really dont know how you can look at that screen and say you dont see anything wrong with it.

I've got no stake in this fight, but I think Forza Motorsport is gonna blow this out the water later this year. GT7 still looks a whole lot to me like a modestly updated GT Sport, which I'm sure is exactly what it is.

Should look really good with psvr2.
I think that will hopefully be a major attraction for GT7 - the FULL game being completely playable in VR. That's gonna be absolutely killer.

How could you drive in complete darkness?
Lots of us have spent countless hours on the Nordschleife...

I m really curious how their workflow 8s. Us it because its a small team for such a project and as a proud japanese stusio doesnt want to outsource?
GT5 was indeed too ambitious for its own good and if I m not mistaken the team was between 170-250 people. But in general after that it took too many years without an absolute significant improvement. They were cutting features while focusing on refining others
PD started outsourcing in 2018
https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-may-finally-be-outsourcing-3d-modeling-work/
https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-outsource-car-model-20200913/
Wiki says they have 170 employees (73 on linkedin but maybe not so popular in Japan), for car game its not a small number as Kunos (acc) team is much smaller and are top in terms of sound and physics and good ai tough with limited content (only gt3 and gt4 cars). Playground games on linked has 325 employees and they don't have to create engine as this is turn10 works and they hire another 173 (linkedin).

Last edited:

Gran Turismo 1997 , PS1
Gran Turismo 2 1999, PS1
Gran Turismo 4 2004, PS2
Gran Turismo 5 2010 PS3
Gran Turismo 6 2013 PS3
This is sort of misleading because between GT4 and GT5 PD also published Tourist Trophy ( sort of a spin off to the Gt serie dedicated to motorcycle) on PS2 in 2006 and Gran Turismo portable in 2009 for the PSP. Those, plus a couple of demo - prologue to the real GT5 for PS3. Anyway, yes, GT5 was definitly a too much delayed entro on the franchise.

We've seen the grass in stills elsewhere. It doesn't look good and heavily lacks shadowing.

You dont see anything terrible? The environment looks super flat and dated in general. The cars in GT always look great, that part's never in question. But I really dont know how you can look at that screen and say you dont see anything wrong with it.

I've got no stake in this fight, but I think Forza Motorsport is gonna blow this out the water later this year. GT7 still looks a whole lot to me like a modestly updated GT Sport, which I'm sure is exactly what it is.
I think its best gt7 gameplay PD showed so far, sure its typical crossgen but improvement vs gt sport is visible and comparing to FM7 it almost looks like full generation ahead. Nextgen only FM will look better ? I hope so and very possible but also doubt we will see it this year.

Back