Could Next-Generation consoles use Nvidia, and still keep BC?

The pro is goodwill to the long established user base and future sales oppurtunities.

And how much does that contribute to the bottom line? Which is what the game is about, someday you need to convert that intangible asset into a tangible one. I am not sure that it pays much in the longterm, but that is my opinion.

And how much does that contribute to the bottom line? Which is what the game is about, someday you need to convert that intangible asset into a tangible one. I am not sure that it pays much in the longterm, but that is my opinion.

I think that's why @Mobius1aic used the phrase "good will" which is generally deployed when you're talking about something that is not necessarily profitable. Some micro-costs may be negligible in relation to the good will, and the perceived wider value and appeal of a platform.

Sony have gone on the record saying that some of their games aren't profitable, so is supporting backwards compatibility any different to unprofitable first party games? It would be interesting to understand how Microsoft and Sony weigh the value of unprofitable efforts. :yep2:

I don't disagree with you, these are businesses and the aim is to make money but some efforts are only part of the bigger equation.

Goodwill is definitely a longterm strategy. Makes users feel valued and safe to invest into a new ecosystem.

360 games getting the BC treatment are basically getting remastered but without the "remaster" label. The digital sales opportunity is there if the BC titles are properly marketed, sold, and put on sale in a Steam like fashion or even made available for limited periods on Game Pass. "Weekly Throwback" and "Blast from the Past" are catchy and multititle collections could even be sold as sale specials. I'm not an Xbox user so I really don't know what the Xbox marketplace is like.

Last edited:
Back