The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

The Foundation Trilogy was written to be an edge of your seat fast read, albeit one that had you thinking during breaks from it. I speak as someone who did read it during "The Golden Age of Science Fiction", which is when one is twelve. :)

Expensive productions need a return on investment, and scenes that pad the story are cheap to produce, so it's not surprising that we get those.

It would be hard to collect the same revenue if the story was half as long. Though to be fair, Asimov's novels sold to a very nerdy audience, one that had cut its teeth on earlier novels and stories of "super science" so he didn't have to spell things out. And I guess it's a given that few of today's audience have heard of Gibson's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

P.S. A lot of science fiction of the forties, fifties, and sixties, was inspired by all the buzz around General Semantics (as well building on the super science period of the 1930s), which Hubbard was proud to admit to having cribbed for the less crazy parts of Dianetics. A.E. van Vogt was the head of Dianetics in California when it started, a friend of Hubbard's, and IIRC he remembered how excited Hubbard was to announce that he'd decided on starting a great scam, that of running a religion. van Vogt too was a big name among fans of science fiction at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_semantics#Connections_to_other_disciplines

Lol, my user handle gives me away as being a fan.

There's a lot of context for the Foundation series, if you are into that kind of trivia.

it has to be different for someone who grew up with foundation as something of the first they read and someone like me who came to it late after reading iain m. banks, alastair reynolds, peter f. hamilton, ian mcdonald etc (im firmly in the british scifi camp) the foundation books are more interesting curiosities. i recognize their (excuse the pun) foundational basis but its like putting the jazz singer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jazz_Singer up on streaming platforms or cinemas to compete against marvel etc

maybe im inarticulate, hope you get what im getting to.

so the foundation tv series not being truly faithful to the books (where they read paper printouts and use 1970s computer terminals and everything is nuclear this and nuclear that) is not really a bad thing imho

Oh wow, that tv series was from a respectable book series. I never knew that. I thought it was from the writers of Hercules and Xena series. :LOL:

Haha yeah, I was so disappointed by the TV series and also said it was as if they had re-hired the Hercules team.

I enjoyed Hercules back when it was on TV around 20 years ago but one also knew that the majority of episodes were standalone and the stupid decisions did not ruin the episodes.

so the foundation tv series not being truly faithful to the books (where they read paper printouts and use 1970s computer terminals and everything is nuclear this and nuclear that) is not really a bad thing imho

You have not watched the show, have you?
The complete abandoning of any logic, reason, scale and psychological realism in the script are the actual problems of the show.

The made up storyline of cloned emperors was enjoyable, they should have just concentrated on the Empire. Everything relating to Terminus and Foundation was bafflingly bad, as if written by people whose only idea of SF is Star Wars but who didn't even really understand what that one was all about.

Funny, that's something I'm loving about Cowboy Bebop! They're sticking to the same tech as the anime, which was from back in 98-99, so there aren't touchscreens or great displays. It's almost a cyberpunk feel with switches, little bad graphic screens, and wads of papers for inventories and such along with cars from the era showing up too.

It's odd as hell, but it really works. They're just sticking as close to the source material as possible and I love 'em for it! Spike's ship and the Bebop look like a kid's idea of spaceships drawn on the side of their notebooks, but that's what makes them so awesome too!

I'm really impressed, I'm even liking the silly cheesy stuff. :love:

You have not watched the show, have you?
The complete abandoning of any logic, reason, scale and psychological realism in the script are the actual problems of the show.

The made up storyline of cloned emperors was enjoyable, they should have just concentrated on the Empire. Everything relating to Terminus and Foundation was bafflingly bad, as if written by people whose only idea of SF is Star Wars but who didn't even really understand what that one was all about.
im up to episode 4? 5? i dont remember. what i think they have done is taken crap from the later books and shoe-horned them in

as i said i dont have a big feelings about foundation book series and im just along for the ride. its not great but its not yet another marvel or star wars show either

im up to episode 4? 5? i dont remember. what i think they have done is taken crap from the later books and shoe-horned them in

What? There was absolutely positively zero lines especially from the later books, what are you suggesting here?

as i said i dont have a big feelings about foundation book series and im just along for the ride. its not great but its not yet another marvel or star wars show either

I suggest you find something interesting to do while you leave it playing in the background. The script does not hold up if you start thinking about it at all.

BTW, several weeks ago in this thread I complained that the writers were completely number-blind in what comes to astronomical scale. Reportedly, Goyer has now admitted he was not aware of the size of our galaxy being not tens but tens of thousands of light years...

I'm seriously considering to order a copy of Asimov's "Measure of the Universe" educational book and mail it in for those suckers.

What? There was absolutely positively zero lines especially from the later books, what are you suggesting here?
the magical mental powers that psychohistorians develop later in the books is what im hinting at

Hell, haven't they mentioned
the Mule
already?
yeah i think so?

as i said, i am not invested in the foundation books or the foundation tv series. its just something new i watch with a buddy who doesnt read any books ever

saw first episode of wheel of time and i enjoyed it. ive read all the books but im interested in seeing where they go with the show. theres not a lot of good fantasy on tv
My take is sort of ambivalent. I want to enjoy it but they are really sloppy. Egwene has a synthetic coat thing on for example. It is distracting. The actors are trying at least. They moved way too fast IMO. It shows they don't have confidence in the investment to me. I wonder what they will do with Tolkien IP. I figure they will spend like crazy on it. WoT needed like 20% more care I think. It is close,but missing something sometimes. Some characters have done a great job though.

the magical mental powers that psychohistorians develop later in the books is what im hinting at
That was in the original stories already though, not the later books. However,
what they have in tv, instead of ability to sense the emotions of a person and subtly nudge those emotions to desired direction, is magical capability of making everything happen against all odds and Seldon actually factoring these individual heroics in his forecast.
Maybe one could see that as the same but that would not be shoehorning, it would be more like opening all seams of the shoe and making gloves instead.

I like Wheel of Time. It's got flaws, and it's no Expanse. But it's good enough to compete with Witcher

Back